Mario DDR???

Moderator: Moderators

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Mario DDR???

Post by Dyme » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:17 pm

has anyone attempted to even try this???
Team KIMO represent!

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:50 pm

I'll probably buy it eventually, since the only game system I own is a GameCube. I wonder if you can rig up the controller buttons to play without a pad?

***WILLIS***
Standard
Standard

Post by ***WILLIS*** » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:56 pm

my friend say it was funny, there is a 10 footer, bowser song, but i guess he got 6 great on it.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:09 pm

Ho has it. The unlock system is rather painful if you're at all good at DDR, but the songs are fairly catchy (they're "Nintendo Originals"). It seems like a well made game.

I'm not sure if you can buy it without the pad right now. The included pad works, though I don't know how good it is (I didn't play on it).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:37 am

malictus wrote:I wonder if you can rig up the controller buttons to play without a pad?
You have been able to on the home versions for both PS2 and Xbox, so I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do so on the Gamecube as well. I don't think that the 'cube is sophisticated enough to be able to tell the difference anyway.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:39 am

I haven't played through it too much yet because I have yet to obtain a memory card. :P I just don't feel like unlocking a lot just to unlock it all again. But the little bit I played so far (maybe 20 minutes or so) I really enjoyed!

First off, the whole game comes pretty much completely locked. There is one training song available in Free Mode and nothing is available in the Minigame Mode. So in order to do anything, you have to play Story Mode.

Story Mode is setup like a classic Mario game in that it's divided up into World 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. You play a song in each level to complete that level. The steps to the songs seem to get progressively harder as you go, but I played through Worlds 1 and 2 and didn't encounter any steps harder than a 1 or 2 foot song.

This could get pretty boring for people who already know how to play DDR well, but the way in which they incorporate Mario elements is really entertaining in its own right. If you're a fan of classic Mario games, you'll find this game fun even if it's too easy--I know I sure am!

They add Mario (and even some Zelda) style elements to the game. Some examples:

Koopa Troopas scroll up in place of some arrows. When you step on one, it goes into its shell, falls back a bit, and then keeps scrolling up. You step on it again and it slides down the column and knocks the arrows below it out of the column--just like a Koopa Troopa would! I thought it was pretty clever.

I've also seen some of the minigames as they come up in Story Mode also. One was a Whack-a-Mole style game where Mario stands in the middle of four pipes. Goombas come out of the pipes and you have to hit them with a hammer. Of course you control it by stepping on the pad arrow that corresponds to the pipe.

A Zelda-style element is that you earn coins during the game (I guess that's a Mario element also). But you can use these coins to purchase items. Some of the items include "health" that can refill your dance guage during a song. It's probably not necessary for anything in this game, but it would sure be nice in PSMO! ;)

The music contains many remixes of classic Mario themes. They're not awesome, but they're delightfully nostalgic. And watching a tubby Italian guy in overalls breakdance in the background is entertainment no matter how you slice it! He looks like a total dweeb, and it's great! About the only thing I don't like about this game is the fact that it uses the DDRMAX/Extreme announcer. He just seems out of place in this environment.

Personally, I'm really enjoying this game. It has great nostalgic value for kids like me that grew up on Mario games, and it's combined with DDR--obviously one of my more recent favorites. I doubt the steps are going to get very difficult, but if you're looking for entertainment rather than challenge, I think you might find a lot to love about this game.