DDR Extreme 2

Moderator: Moderators

UnLiMiTeDmAxX
Standard
Standard

DDR Extreme 2

Post by UnLiMiTeDmAxX » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:25 pm

Has anyone seen this?

Apparently DDR Extreme 2 is coming straight to PS2 instead of the arcades, like Joe's thread indicated from someone's LJ. I stumbled on this by putting "In The Groove" in an msn search attempting to find stepfiles. I dont know what songs are supposed to be on it but hey, it sparks my interest.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:20 pm

Why is there an XBox YuGiOh! picture? Why is that game even a Platinum Hit for Xbox? [/offtopic]

I really don't care anything about US home versions anymore. They suck really badly, the songs are just disappointments.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:21 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:Why is there an XBox YuGiOh! picture? Why is that game even a Platinum Hit for Xbox? [/offtopic]

I really don't care anything about US home versions anymore. They suck really badly, the songs are just disappointments.
yeah. playing at home is a waste of time. i'd rather be playing Shenmue.
Team KIMO represent!

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:33 pm

does this mean konami has officially given up the arcade DDR line? and is just going to try to extort americans out of their money through PS2 games?
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:30 pm

Konami of America has no arcade division. They haven't had one for a few years now. Notice how the newest USA AC release of DDR is USA, from 2000 (or 2001, whatever)?

The only reason there are newer DDR releases for arcade was because Konami of Japan made them. They were then (questionably legally) imported into the USA by arcades. They aren't intended for the US market. In fact, they go so far as to say that the game is "...for sale and use in Japan only..." and promise reprecussions for those using the game outside that territory.

The Extreme US release had nothing to do with the Extreme AC JP release. They use a very different engine, have a wildly different songlist, different graphics, etc. This is because they were developed at a different time by different people (KCEA vs. KCEJ/KCET). Their biggest mistake was probably calling it DDR Extreme.

Extreme II is just another US release. Japan has been getting bunches of CS releases of DDR as well, but no new arcade releases. There's a rumor of a new one, but there's been a rumor of a new arcade release since Extreme AC came out almost 3 years ago.

In all likelyhood, there will NEVER be another USA market arcade release, and any JP market release will probably take its sweet time to get here, especially if it uses new hardware.

So to answer the question at hand, yes: Konami of America is trying to make its money from home releases rather than arcades. This is their entire business model now: they gave up on the American arcade a long time ago.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ray_Clark
Standard
Standard

Post by Ray_Clark » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:20 am

Not so fast my friends! :) Konami is releasing another DDR game in Jan 06 in Japan called DDR Strike. Just that out a couple of days ago at http://www.ddrfreak.com. Not sure its here but I know for sure that there not done yet.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:22 pm

STR!KE is a CS version (PS2) for the Japanese market. It's built on the same engine as Extreme 2 (US PS2). It will feature the new song collaboration between Naoki and Paula Terry that was mentioned several months ago on her website. It will probably also feature songs that have been released to the US Xbox on Xbox Live. And there may be some other new songs as well.

So is it interesting, sure. But it IS NOT an arcade release. There has still been no announcement of any forthcoming arcade releases with the exception of Dancing Stage Fusion for the european market earlier this year.

That doesn't mean there can't be or that there won't be...just that there hasn't been. Last US arcade release: DDR USA - Oct 2000. Last JP arcade release: DDR Extreme - Dec 2002. Interpret that how you wish.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:31 pm

Extreme doesn't feel that old... just that played out.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:19 pm

The only part of this game that caught my eye was the fact that it will have online support. Meh, I may check it out once it comes out just for the hell of it.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:31 am

I really have lost most of my interest in DDR. I have officially beaten every song in Extreme. I do not feel a challenge anymore. I don't know if a new DDR game would really make the much of a differance.
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:48 pm

if konami should make another arcade version of DDR, i think they should make it more like ITG like adding 11 footers and crap like that offering more of a challenge.
Team KIMO represent!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:01 pm

Can you AA PSMO?

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:03 pm

maybe if i played the song and had a decent machine to play on
Team KIMO represent!

Intermezzo
Standard
Standard

Post by Intermezzo » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:38 am

Lil Dyme wrote:if konami should make another arcade version of DDR, i think they should make it more like ITG like adding 11 footers and crap like that offering more of a challenge.
I wouldn't mind DDR having tougher songs (yeah, Paranoia/Max gets a little old), but they should put more work into the stepcharts. ITG's 11-12 footers seemed wickedly challenging, but I didn't see how many of their stepcharts went with the songs at all.

Another home version wouldn't bother me much (I actually liked Extreme USA :[ 'cept for the Karaoke Revolution songs kthx), but I do think they need to work on another arcade mix..and if they decide to make it an actual USA arcade mix, they need to make sure it doesn't suck as much as DDR USA.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:11 am

Intermezzo wrote:ITG's 11-12 footers seemed wickedly challenging, but I didn't see how many of their stepcharts went with the songs at all.
Destiny, Charlene, Xuxa, actually most of the expert songs go along with the songs really well.

EDIT: corrected quote.
Last edited by SoDeepPolaris on Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.