Random Japanese Arcades - May 30 to June 10

Arrange a real world get together by letting people know when and where you'll be.

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Random Japanese Arcades - May 30 to June 10

Post by MonMotha » Sun May 29, 2005 5:53 pm

That's right, everyone's favorite code monkey will be in Japan starting tomorrow until the 10th of June. If anyone happens to be over there, look for me (good luck!). I'll be taking my IndyDDR shirt, just for kicks. I'm going to be in Kyoto until Thursday, Osaka on Friday, Hiroshima for a few days after that, then Toyko until I return home.

I'm going to attempt to play every Bemani game in existance while I'm over there (including finding one of the rare IIDX Substream/DDR link setups).

Sorry, no room to bring back trinkets for people.

I'll try to post some pictures as I roam around, but I'm not taking my laptop (no room; I'm traveling light), so I'll have to find public computers to use.

EDIT: That's the 10th, but I won't be available for anything until the 13th due to other engagements.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sun May 29, 2005 8:50 pm

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun May 29, 2005 10:53 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:Go to Muthos!
Aaron always looks so funny in his AAA pictures :)
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:07 am

Going to Muthos tomorrow or the next day. I'm currently on a system in Akhiabara posting this!

I have trinkets for some people, check back with me when I get home.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:34 pm

Went to Muthos. It really is not all that it was made out to be. Only one of each of the most recent Bemani. However, it was all in decent shape (except DDR, which I guess nobody plays). I found the remains of a DDR/IIDX substream setup, but both had been upgraded (Red and Extreme). No Toy's March yet :(

I will have a full list (and pictures) of all the machines I spot when I get back from Japan in a couple days. For now, I shall continue my electronics shopping. Think Fry's, CompUSA, Best Buy, MAI Parts, and a Cable Master (for those of you who know all those stores) crammed into one then spread out over an area the size of Castleton!
A normality test:
+++ATH

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:57 am

MonMotha wrote:Think Fry's, CompUSA, Best Buy, MAI Parts, and a Cable Master (for those of you who know all those stores)
Oh crap...I do know all those stores...even been to them all.

*heads for shower*

"Must....wash......geek......off.....!"

;)

I'm sorry your quest for IIDX Substream didn't pan out. I'd have been surprised had you actually found one. I'm guessing there weren't too many of them to begin with and economics would likely have dictated the fate of all that did not land in a private collection.

Blaze
Standard
Standard

Post by Blaze » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:07 am

MonMotha wrote:Think Fry's, CompUSA, Best Buy, MAI Parts, and a Cable Master (for those of you who know all those stores)
Fry's, is that in California with all of the electronics opened up around the place to look at while you eat?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:27 pm

Blaze wrote:
Fry's, is that in California with all of the electronics opened up around the place to look at while you eat?
Umm...well, they have lots of electronics and there is a cafe. I'm not sure what you mean by "opened up." Fry's is based in Cali, but they just recently opened up a store here in Fishers (just NE of Indy).

ThatGuy
Standard
Standard

Post by ThatGuy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:50 pm

MonMotha wrote:For now, I shall continue my electronics shopping.
Mmmm... Akihabara... I miss shopping there.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:31 am

OK, I'm back (after beings stuck in Chicago O'Hare airport for about 5 hours due to my flight being cancelled), so stop hounding me about stuff in Japan now :-)

I have over 400 pictures I'll put up for those who are interested, and I'll be PM'ing people I bought gifts for.

What I'm wondering, though, is why nobody showed up to play with me? I mean, I posted it on the Gettin' Together section of IndyDDR for Pete's sake (not to be confused with an alcoholic beverage)! Shouldn't that mean that people would meet me there?
A normality test:
+++ATH

ThatGuy
Standard
Standard

Post by ThatGuy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:05 am

MonMotha wrote:What I'm wondering, though, is why nobody showed up to play with me? I mean, I posted it on the Gettin' Together section of IndyDDR for Pete's sake (not to be confused with an alcoholic beverage)! Shouldn't that mean that people would meet me there?
Indeed. Had I known a bit further in advance, not been working 12+ hour days, and could come up with the cash for airfare and such....

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:12 am

MonMotha wrote:What I'm wondering, though, is why nobody showed up to play with me? I mean, I posted it on the Gettin' Together section of IndyDDR for Pete's sake (not to be confused with an alcoholic beverage)! Shouldn't that mean that people would meet me there?
Dude, I was so waiting for you over by the Pump machine, but you never showed up! ;)

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:46 am

MonMotha wrote: What I'm wondering, though, is why nobody showed up to play with me? I mean, I posted it on the Gettin' Together section of IndyDDR for Pete's sake (not to be confused with an alcoholic beverage)! Shouldn't that mean that people would meet me there?
Hey, if you had waited a couple months I could have stopped by. =P

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:47 pm

Ho wrote:Oh crap...I do know all those stores...even been to them all.
Yeah, but some of them only because I sent you there, so don't feel too overly geeky. No need to wash it off, at least :)
Ho wrote:I'm sorry your quest for IIDX Substream didn't pan out. I'd have been surprised had you actually found one. I'm guessing there weren't too many of them to begin with and economics would likely have dictated the fate of all that did not land in a private collection.
Yeah. It's so old that most of them have probably been upgraded. With the condition the Muthos DDR machine was in, my guess is that it was the DDR machine that was linked to the IIDX Substream back in the day. Both appeared to be very high mileage (though the IIDX machine had a new monitor).

And yeah, no Pump action over in Japan, though I certainly got my fill of IIDX RED and Pop'n 12 goodness. There does appear to still be a little interest in DDR, so hopefully the rumors of a new arcade version that have been going on for ages will eventually pan out. Many of the DDR songs are starting to appear on other games. GF/DM has Break Down; Pop'n has Graduation, etc.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:06 pm

MonMotha wrote:And yeah, no Pump action over in Japan, though I certainly got my fill of IIDX RED and Pop'n 12 goodness. There does appear to still be a little interest in DDR, so hopefully the rumors of a new arcade version that have been going on for ages will eventually pan out. Many of the DDR songs are starting to appear on other games. GF/DM has Break Down; Pop'n has Graduation, etc.
Well, the Pump comment was intentionally ridiculous. ;)

To be honest, I'd be more hopeful and excited for a DDR USA 2 (done correctly) than a DDR Extreme 2 (to generically sequel the most recently used title in each branch of the series). I'd like to see some stateside support and new machines with real service here to help shore up what is becoming an increasingly disappointing arcade experience on high-mileage, second hand, Japanese and Korean hand-me-down machines.