Pump VS IndyDDR: Colonblow

Arrange a real world get together by letting people know when and where you'll be.

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: Pump VS IndyDDR: Colonblow

Post by MonMotha » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:52 am

Since it's the last step of the song, and therefore I don't have to be ready for anything else afterward, I do often use my hands. Generally speaking, using hands is slightly more reliable if you have time to do it.

However, bracketing is pretty darn common on PIU and is essentially required for "hands" at higher levels. The PIU stage layout makes it way easier than DDR, though. The corners overlap with the center panel, and I'm convinced the brackets are a little lower than DDR even on "classic" stages. Of course, the new CX/TX stages are totally flat which makes it even easier. The timing windows being large compared to DDR also makes it possible to "rock" your foot across the two panels in order to make sure you hit them on worn stages while still getting a perfect.

Bracketing is a lot harder on holds, though. I usually use my hands on holds if possible.

As to the particular 4-panel ("quad") at the end of Deja Vu, it's actually just about the easiest thing on the game to bracket. You just turn sideways and straddle each foot across the two panels at the front and back of the stage, respectively. Like the DDR stage, there's no trim between them, so you can actually hit them both with essentially no effort. A similar technique was possible for the corner panels on DDR Solo (which had the only "hands" in a DDR-titled release at the end of Paranoia Evolution) as they, likewise, had no trim, but it's even easier on PIU since it has 4 sensors, one on each side, whereas Solo only had two sensors in the middle of the panel.

Now, if you really want to go nuts, try to bracket a quint. I'm not sure how to go about doing it and always just use my knee. There's also the six panel BS at the end of the Try to BPM: LIADZ remix which is made worse by it being a hold. I don't think I've ever managed to combo it, but I can at least manage to hit all 6.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Oh yeah I guess I never thought of bracketing the UR+UL and DR+DL quad! That would be pretty easy!

I guess I'm always just bar raping when I do Pump doubles so I never turn my body.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:40 am

Merk wrote:I guess I'm always just bar raping when I do Pump doubles so I never turn my body.
You're missing out on the best part of Pump!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:55 am

Ho wrote:
Merk wrote:I guess I'm always just bar raping when I do Pump doubles so I never turn my body.
You're missing out on the best part of Pump!
From what I've seen some turning is required even with the bar for a few of the charts.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri May 01, 2015 8:50 pm

I may be a day late, and a buck (from playing it again) short, but I got it this time.
2015-05-02_025737.jpg
2015-05-02_025737.jpg (31.75 KiB) Viewed 15256 times
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon May 04, 2015 9:03 am

Nice!

I feel like I should be able to do this. I can't remember if I ever did back in the day (a X-Site). I'm pretty sure I can do every part of this now...just not all in a single attempt.

What's next?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon May 04, 2015 9:21 am

Ho wrote:Nice!

I feel like I should be able to do this. I can't remember if I ever did back in the day (a X-Site). I'm pretty sure I can do every part of this now...just not all in a single attempt.
Yeah, it's mostly a matter of not getting tripped up by anything. The speed is perfectly manageable.
Ho wrote:What's next?
I should hope somebody other than me picking something. I've picked the last several.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon May 04, 2015 9:24 am

I nominate Amp Divorax. He started this and I don't think he's picked one in a while.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon May 04, 2015 9:27 am

How about.... Uh..... Bust Back?

A brother wanna nut on my face? I BUST BACK

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon May 04, 2015 9:34 am

I'd have to find a way to play it. It's not on Infinity or Pro, and I don't think it's on modern (Fiesta and newer) mainline, either.

I have NX but no machine to run it on at the moment.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon May 04, 2015 9:39 am

How about uh..... that one song that goes "I WANT THIS TO NEVER END! I. WANT. MY. WAY. DO IT RIGHT. SUCK ON MY BAWS."

You know which one I'm talking about? It was the first song on the song list of Exceed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYRVS1VsC98

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon May 04, 2015 9:46 am

I declare Merk doesn't get to pick unless he actually intends to play these. I already have one contest he never plays in. I don't need a second one.

Speaking of which...Merk, it's your turn to pick the DDR song you're not going to play this week.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon May 04, 2015 9:49 am

To be fair I was going to play last week but then my girlfriend's appendix exploded and I had to go down to Bloomington just about everyday.

I didn't get to study for my CCNP ROUTE test either so that sucked barrs. :(

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon May 04, 2015 10:08 am

That SOUNDS like Love Is A Danger Zone, though I think you've, uh, altered some of the words.

LIADZ NM is definitely out of scope for this contest as it's way too difficult for Ho (and possibly Amp). I can do it without a ton of difficulty, but it's far from simple. I think it's rated 19?

There are some easier charts for it, but you have to be very specific about which one you intend to use because they've done a lot of changing up the difficulty slots on that particular song over the years.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon May 04, 2015 10:20 am

Merk wrote:To be fair I was going to play last week but then my girlfriend's appendix exploded and I had to go down to Bloomington just about everyday.

I didn't get to study for my CCNP ROUTE test either so that sucked barrs. :(
That is truly unfortunate and I hope that Jennifer is doing well. But the condition I was referencing is a much older trend.

And yeah, I would likely post a big fat DNF for LIADZ. I'm not likely to even pass it, much less do well on it.