Pump VS IndyDDR: Colonblow

Arrange a real world get together by letting people know when and where you'll be.

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pump VS IndyDDR: The Challenge Begins soon.

Post by Ho » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:50 pm

We're doing dance points in the other thread now. That's sort of a weird measure for Pump. Combo doesn't figure into it.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:26 pm

Ho wrote:We're doing dance points in the other thread now. That's sort of a weird measure for Pump. Combo doesn't figure into it.
Oh, I haven't been paying attention and thought it was just putting up results of perfects, greats, etc. I'll just say that we take pics of the result when possible and put them on here. As for Combo, I was under the impression that it factored into Pump's scoring considerably.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:52 pm

The (money) scoring system is different on basically every version of, at least modern, PIU. Some versions are heavily influenced by combo while others darn near ignore it. Maximum combo on the song is, to my knowledge, never a factor. What happens is that your current running combo affects the score value of each step. Thus, simply knowing your max combo and other grade counts is not sufficient to calculate your score on most (all?) versions of PIU.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:00 am

MonMotha wrote:The (money) scoring system is different on basically every version of, at least modern, PIU. Some versions are heavily influenced by combo while others darn near ignore it. Maximum combo on the song is, to my knowledge, never a factor. What happens is that your current running combo affects the score value of each step. Thus, simply knowing your max combo and other grade counts is not sufficient to calculate your score on most (all?) versions of PIU.
So essentially.....

Memorable 2016 quotes:

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:58 am

Uh, I guess if you want a conclusion, it's probably that you cannot compare money scores between different versions of PIU. They vary wildly, and there's no way to calculate it just from the information on the grade screen (aside from the score itself, which is only valid on that version).

If you want some sort of scoring method that's usable across different versions, you'll probably have to compute some sort of dance-point style score. Even that won't be reliable, though. The judgement timing has varied some even in the "modern era", and the various versions allow you to glitch different stepcounts (!!) even if the chart is otherwise the same as on other versions. Of course, some songs have different charts on different versions, too.

Honestly, I don't know anybody who's ever seriously tried to come up with a method of seriously comparing scores between versions in a manner that would give competitively useful results. About the best I think you're going to get is something moderately useful as a personal score tracker ("Did I do better or worse than 3 months ago?") and for getting fairly gross comparisons between participants.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:32 am

I'm fine with gross comparisons. I'm more interested in just having a reason to play than any real competition. I might put Fiesta in for a while to start this, but it's not really a favorite of mine and I probably won't keep it in there for the long term. Let's use money score when we can (because it's easy) and we can do dance points at times when we aren't matching mix and just call it good enough. And hopefully we're actually playing the same chart. :P

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Ho wrote:I'm fine with gross comparisons. I'm more interested in just having a reason to play than any real competition. I might put Fiesta in for a while to start this, but it's not really a favorite of mine and I probably won't keep it in there for the long term. Let's use money score when we can (because it's easy) and we can do dance points at times when we aren't matching mix and just call it good enough. And hopefully we're actually playing the same chart. :P
Agreed. I say we just aim in on doing our best with what we are given. I will work on getting Fiesta 2 or EX as well when I get the opportunity. So what should be our first song?
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:16 pm

I feel like I should pick something clever and appropriate as the first song. First Love? Because it has the word first in it. :P

What chart should we play? Are we intending this to be a doubles or singles activity?

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Ho wrote:I feel like I should pick something clever and appropriate as the first song. First Love? Because it has the word first in it. :P

What chart should we play? Are we intending this to be a doubles or singles activity?
I figured double was how Pump was supposed to be played, but if it's a good singles chart I'm open to it as well.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:15 am

A bit of a New Year's update. Due to an unexpected development, Fiesta has been removed from my machine. :(

Instead, it's now using Fiesta EX. :P

So in short, more notecharts, more songs, and it's 1.5 (I can't find 1.51 oddly enough, but all it did was remove a song.) so everything is on there.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:53 am

First Love is way too easy. You can go ahead and pick the first song since I'm apparently not getting around to it.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:04 pm

If there was a site or application to randomly pick songs for Pump that would probably make this easy, lol. I'll use the WPF random category though. Any difficulty levels of preference?
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:24 pm

I'm good up to about 13. Anything beyond that I'm likely to flail/fail.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Definitely sounds good as my speed and stamina can only do that comfortably at this point. (I can clear some 17s and 18s, but at great discomfort to say the least.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:50 am

MonMotha wrote: If you want some sort of scoring method that's usable across different versions, you'll probably have to compute some sort of dance-point style score. Even that won't be reliable, though. The judgement timing has varied some even in the "modern era", and the various versions allow you to glitch different stepcounts (!!) even if the chart is otherwise the same as on other versions. Of course, some songs have different charts on different versions, too.
I'm curious, can you glitch additional perfects or just misses like "Poors" in Beet?