How do I work the Bloomington?

Arrange a real world get together by letting people know when and where you'll be.

Moderator: Moderators

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

How do I work the Bloomington?

Post by Pokebis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:21 pm

So I can find normal people about my age to "hang out" with in B-town which would generally involve watching a show, casually playing games that I end up just being better than everyone else at, or doing bad things I don't really want to be involved in. The other people I could find are people who play tabletop games or CCGs or something, which can be fun, but very expensive.
This is fine and all, but I kind of want to be able to hang out with more people into video games like I am where I could meet up maybe once a week and just play some video games. I mean someone to play MvC3 against and shit.
I'd think this would be easy considering I'm in a college town, but perhaps due to my asocial nature, or lack of tolerable people my age, I have difficulty finding cool people to chill with down here.
Is there a place people go to just play games and not scream over Call of Halo all night; generally acting like douchebags?
Or am I still stuck in my room on my computer?
Also, Bemani fans in B-town'd be pretty cool, but you guys are pedophiliac strangers from the internet and I don't want to put myself in danger. But meeting at Great-X-Scape or something would be cool I guess.

wat do?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: How do I work the Bloomington?

Post by Riot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Fwiend you are about 5 years too late. I will play mahvel with you whenever. Merk lives in Bloomington creep on him.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:56 pm

I didn't grow up in Bloomington so I don't know how to survive the town through your teenage years. I would just hang out with your friends and do the things you want to do on your own time - that's what I did. I grinded through DDR by myself on Sundays, went to school throughout the week, and did shit with my friends on Friday/Saturday.

If you can't drink then I imagine Bloomington sucks, sorry. Hell, even if you can drink Bloomington kinda sucks. The bars are always crowded, bartenders tend to be real jerks (probably because they are swamped), people go out of their way to be loud and assholey, and the girls are usually Jappy, loud, and whiney. No offense, but the townies are awful too. You have this weird mish-mash of ultra self-important professors and borderline retarded country bumpkins which is a fatal flaw of all college towns. I lived by joining a frat which despite its problems at the very least let me pay for friends and meet relatively normal undergrads.

I'd take up an extra-ciriccular or a sport or something. It'll build character and make you not asocial. If you want to watch a fat guy slug through DDR I'm usually at GXS and Thursdays and Fridays from 3pm-5pm; I don't know anyone else that plays Bemani in B-Town with any regularity other than myself so it looks like you're stuck with me!

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Well shit.
I actually go to a smaller, public school with only around ~200-300 students so our extra curricular activities are slim. I think there was a drama club and some thing called the "gay straight alliance" along with a choir and one basketball tournament.
During the first year of school I actually played DDR in the school because they had a PS2 there after I figured out I'd do that for my PE credit (no gym, so 140 hours of physical activity).
At one point some kid decided there should be a Smash Bros. club so I came to it a couple times and just picked Random a couple of times until the other kids decided I'm no fun to play with because I always win anyways or something like that. Then they went 3v1 on me with Friendly Fire off, which was obviously no fun for me. I think that died after a few weeks anyways.
I mean, I guess I could find an anime club or something at North or the library, but I'm not a fan of awkward, babbly kids wearing cat ears and Naruto headbands. And I really don't watch that much anime.
But maybe I could show them the ultra kawaiiiiiiii~ characters from Pop'n or something...

Also, if I want to get into PiU what should I start by doing? I'm always nervous about entering the speedmods and can't remember ever doing it correctly.

EDIT: I'm not actually asocial in the sense that I'm awkward or anything, I can handle myself around just about any kind of person rather well, I'm asocial in the sense I'd rather not hang out with X because some feature of him bugs me or he wants to do things that bore me. And then my friends who would potentially play games with me never do shit with me and always give me bogus excuses for not wanting to come over/have me over.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Riot is right. You should've been around for ol' Japan night.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:46 am

I LOL'd at "Call of Halo."

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Also, if I want to get into PiU what should I start by doing? I'm always nervous about entering the speedmods and can't remember ever doing it correctly.
Pump sucks this is a bad idea. But if you really want to play, the mode for speed mods is UL-UR-UL-UR-Center I believe. If you're never played I would start out on Hard (the medium difficulty) and get a feel for turns - there isn't too much double-stepping compared to DDR but there are a shit load more awkward twists and turns. Pump is more about speed and throwing a shit load of steps at you instead of timing so enjoy raping the bar. You get a more intense workout with Pump so if you're a fatty like me it helps a lot in losing weight.

If no extra-curriculars interest I'd recommend getting a gym membership and work on self-improvement. Try to take the time you would use to socialize and work on improving your body or your mind. If you know what your intended career path is I'd see if you could work on getting maybe some certifications or an internship / work study / whatever. This probably won't decrease your boredom but it will make you confident and feel better about yourself. You don't need a huge dick to feel like you're important in the world.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Merk, you are a bigoted asshole.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Would you care to elaborate?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:30 pm

...against Pump It Up and DDR SuperNOVA.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 pm

I don't want to talk about what I like and don't like anymore because it will make Chad quit life and I don't want that to happen.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm just saying that Pokebis asked for specific advice about PIU, not your opinion of it.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm such a nice guy I gave him both!

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:35 pm

self improvement is masturbation

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Merk, you pretty much described all the reasons I prefer PIU to DDR, though I try to avoid bar raping.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.