Merk vs. IndyDDR: Waiting for a Merk-acle

Arrange a real world get together by letting people know when and where you'll be.

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fluffy I'm calling you out: Feliz Cuatro de Julio!

Post by Ho » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Merk wrote:Brian that is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Solo arrows are absolutely critical in good PA for pretty much everyone I've ever met.
I've been playing since before there was even Vivid. I'm perfectly comfortable with Flat (and x1). I can read it just fine down to around 100 bpm or so. Vivid is fine, too. I'm used to seeing it. I have logged many, many more hours in Vivid than Solo. When Solo appeared, it read so jarringly different for me that it is more of a distraction than a help.

Same goes for the Rhythm skin on Pump Pro. The fastest way to get me to outright fail a song is to have me play with that skin. On Pump, I expect the colors to tell me up/down/center position, not rhythm. Maybe if the Rhythm skin used entirely different colors, it might not confuse me so bad. As it is, it makes me trip, fall, and get a bloody nose.

Also, this little contest is about as much as I have ever cared about PA, so there is no motivation there for me to learn how to use it any more than there is for me to bar rape (something else I tried a couple times and did much, much worse as a result).

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm pretty sure vivid was in 3rd mix!

*slaps dong in triumph*

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:15 pm

Yes. Vivid was introduced in 3rd Mix. I've been playing since 1st.

Put your dong away. I don't have my magnifying glass handy anyway.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

*puts dong away*

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:14 am

This week is going to be a little busy but I'll do my best to get a few plays in. I got to wait for the cable guy at my girlfriend's new apartment today, I got to clean up my Indianapolis apartment and get everything out of it by 5pm tomorrow, and then immediately after that I'll be coming back to Fort Wayne.

Not sure what I'm doing Thursday night, but Friday and Saturday are up in the air. If Riot doesn't punk out we can head up to TnT for some Supernova. I much prefer the Stepmania cab at Putt-Putt though but the timing window on that machine is ridiculously large.

Chad you better get some plays in before you leave for Louisviiiiiiiile.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:27 am

Agreed. I may have gotten in the only play on that song I'm going to. I've been super busy all week trying to get my USPF freestyle together and I leave for Vegas tomorrow morning. I won't be back before the end of this "round".

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:45 am

Damn, you will be missed. Please post all your Vegas details in the EVO thread and on Facebook.

Play some poker and some Pai Gow for me. Don't get too drunk off the free booze, you alcoholic.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:26 am

I never emopunk out. We can dance if you wanna, we can leave our friends behind. I want to fight you and dance with you.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 am

lol

OK, I'll give you calls and texts. Is Meg still gone? What the hell have you been doing these last few weeks?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:35 am

No she got back (early) yesterday. I have been doing chores and playing videogames! I started playing AE a bit more and trying to be good at that. I'm okay, and Yang is fun. I'm trying to pick up Makoto since she is super good.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 am

What? Did something happen? I thought she was going to be a Francophone until like a week before EVO.

Now I have to watch my language and mannerisms in your beautiful home :/

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:01 am

I'll tell you later maybe! She would have gotten back July 8th, but she is going on another trip to Montreal with her mom and sister July 20th - 26th I believe. Anyways, she might be going out of town this weekend to visit her aunt so we might have the house all to ourselves!

But she might not as well!

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Oh my fucking God that picture...

So good.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:45 am

Merk wrote:Damn, you will be missed. Please post all your Vegas details in the EVO thread and on Facebook.

Play some poker and some Pai Gow for me. Don't get too drunk off the free booze, you alcoholic.
I'll be there for 6 days with only one of them being taken up by USPF, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of Vegas stories to tell.

I don't really intend on doing a whole lot of gambling. I mean, I'm sure I'll do it just to say that I did, but I'm not planning on investing a whole lot of time or money into it. I might play some poker if I'm feeling brave.

I just had to look up Pai Gow to even see what it was. Are you talking about the game with dominos or the card game? Either way, I'd probably be better off not trying it for the first time in Vegas with real money. :P

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:18 am

If you're going to play Poker make a trip over to Bally's, the players there are generally drunk tourists and the tables are real fishy. Play a solid ABC Poker game (play strong hands in position, make solid continuation bets, don't attempt pure bluffs on the turn and river since everyone will call you down even with bottom pairs, semi-bluff if the implied odds are good or if the price is right.) and you'll come out ahead barring any bad beats.

You'll mostly just find Pai Gow Poker (the card game). I have no idea how to play the tiles version of the game and I've only ever seen it offered at the Wynn and New York New York. It's actually a really relaxing and simple game you and Belinda can play. You push like 70% of the time (I'll have to look up the exact number, but it's high) and the game is slow by Vegas standards so it's a good way to chat it up with the dealers and get free drinks from the cocktail waitresses. Pretty much any liquor you can imagine (even top shelf) is offered for free to gamblers - just make sure you tip the cocktail waitress or she won't come back.

It's a easy game to play, here are the rules:

- Each player and the dealer gets their own 7-card hand
- You must make two poker hands. One 5-card hand (called "the bottom") and one 2-card hand (called "the top")
- The bottom hand must be stronger than the top hand (ie if you have two pair, kings and queens, then the kings must go in the bottom hand and the queens must go in the top hand).
- After everyone has set their hand, the dealer flips over their cards and makes their own hand according to a set of rules called the "House Way."
- If both your top hand and bottom hand beats the dealer's top and bottom hands then you win! Payouts are 0.95:1 making it less than even-money. Basically, you pay a 5% commission on wins, this is how the house gets its edge.
- If both your hands lose to the dealer's then you lose.
- If only one hand wins against the dealers then its a push (this happens a lot).
- Ties favor the dealer
- The deck is a standard 52-card deck plus one Joker. The Joker acts as a "bug" meaning that it can be used to complete straights, flushes, and straight flushes. If none of those are possible in your hand then it acts as an Ace. Obviously it is the best card you can have in Pai Gow.

Basic strategy boils down to what is effectively the House Way:

- Keep all two-pairs together where the stronger pair is 8s or less. (Keep 8s and deuces together, split 9s and deuces)
- Always always always split full houses. (Put the 3-of-a-kind in the bottom hand and the pair in the top hand)
- If you have a 6 or 7 card straight, set your hand so that the top hand is as strong as possible (ie. you have 2345678 in your hand, put the 87 up top and the lower straight on the bottom)

This will pretty much give you all the info you need:

http://wizardofodds.com/paigowpoker

There's other shit you can do like play as the banker but I wouldn't mess with that unless you have a shload of money. It basically lets the player playing as the banker win ties but they must set their hand the house way and they must wager enough money to cover all the bets on the table.