Greatimes: Epic New Xenesis Manuever

Arrange a real world get together by letting people know when and where you'll be.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Greatimes: Epic New Xenesis Manuever

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:04 pm

Odds are, I'm gonna stop by there tomorrow because I've been wanting to play Pump, something I haven't done for 4-5 months now.

I've heard really bad things about the machine, and having played on it once before as a beginner, I really couldn't tell. Does anyone else know about how crappy it might be? It's a Pump: Oldies But Goodies edition.

-Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Jeff Revolution on Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:20 pm

Unless your plans fall through, I'll aim for around 2 tomorrow. It'll give me a chance to finally get around to checking out their machine. The way I figure it, it can't be any worse than the Kokomo machine, and I drove an hour to play on that thing, and I wasn't even meeting anyone. :?
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:01 am

I'll be honest, I don't think I've played that game (I may have played one game on it years ago before I even started playing DDR), however every report I've heard has been, um, bad... That's not to say you won't enjoy it, but please don't let the condition of the machine (if it really is as bad as I've heard) or the horrible interface of OBG color your judgement of Pump.

There's an Exceed 2 up at X-Site that's actually worth playing if you get the chance to drive up there some time.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:00 am

WhiteDragon wrote:Unless your plans fall through, I'll aim for around 2 tomorrow. It'll give me a chance to finally get around to checking out their machine. The way I figure it, it can't be any worse than the Kokomo machine, and I drove an hour to play on that thing, and I wasn't even meeting anyone. :?
They did. Parents don't want me running around in this weather. >_< They suggested I try and go tomorrow. Want to try 2 pm Sunday?

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:29 am

Sorry, I've got work tomorrow. Maybe next time though.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:50 pm

Oh, be so thankful I went today...

I HAVE TWO LETTERS FOR YOU!

Aw, man! What once was OBG is now the newest Pump around. I cannot tell you how estatic I am. I was really the only player there today. I'm sure there are tons of questions about to be flooded here, but I'm going to answer as many as I can right now. (Note: "contrast" issue on screen is nonexistant; that's from the angle my camera took the pic.)

How much does it cost to play?

Just two tokens. That's right, New Xenesis is just 50 cents (or less) at Greatimes. I was there for over an hour, and barely spent anything.

How long is the wait?

From when I was there today, there was the occasional person that tried playing for the first time (and failed), and I was the only real Pump/DDR Enthusiast there. If you wanna play, be their guest. I actually played so well, the employees gave me some free credits. ^_^ I feel like the first colonist to step foot on indian land.

Is the machine still in crappy condition?

Not from what I could tell! I've heard nasty rumors about their pads, and how badly they sucked. Being my first time playing NX, they're really not that bad. I had a few misses, but I'm sure it's because I suck at Pump.

Also, many people have complained that the volume isn't loud enough. I got there and could barely hear it. However, remember those employees that were oh-so-amazed? They turned it up like (makes hand gesture) that. At first, it was hurting my eardrums, but they made a great volume for playing. Of course, the machine is in an open balcony with other noisy machines, but you can easily pick out the music.

It's a great machine; it was simply an upgrade from the OBG cabinet to NX, and it was so worth it.

Picture of cabinet:

I can also upload pics of the pads if you want to see them, but you can't really determine playability from just an image.

To put this post in short: I'm freaking out, man. ^_^
Last edited by Jeff Jeff Revolution on Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:39 pm

Hah. i've actually played on that machine before, before the NX upgrade... WAY before the NX upgrade. I remember playing it just to try it out, i was so pissed that Great Times didn't have DDR.

But I guess this is exciting. About how long of a drive was it for you?
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:49 pm

I'M SO FUCKING THERE

I'm Going Wednesday after class and Friday if I don't have to work

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:40 pm

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon. I get off work at 2:30, so I'll probably be there around 3:30 to 4:00. I have a feeling the Tuesday X-Site crew might change their plans to meet up there as well. Wednesday I won't be able to make it though due to work.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:41 pm

That doesn't even sound like it's the same machine. The old one had dead speakers, so if they could manage to turn it up and not sound like absolute crap, something definitely got done to it (or it may have been replaced - though it still is an old SD cabinet).

That bars are on backwards, too :)
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:43 pm

MonMotha wrote:That bars are on backwards, too :)
Yes, but, come on... Who gives a fuck?

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:16 am

Yeah I work Monday and Tuesday, so Wednesday is the eariliest I can make it up there...and I hope I have friday off so I can get up there.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:09 am

WhiteDragon wrote:
it actually looks cooler...like anti-semitic arrows (where they are all pointing inwards toward the center, I thought about doing that once to the GXS machine

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:45 am

It looks like the same old machine to me. But it's been a long time since I've been there (I'd estimate at least 2 years). They've certainly had plenty of time to fix it up.

I'm certainly willing to go check it out, but I'll reserve any sort of judgment until I see/hear/experience it for myself.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:38 am

lgolem wrote:
WhiteDragon wrote:
it actually looks cooler...like anti-semitic arrows (where they are all pointing inwards toward the center, I thought about doing that once to the GXS machine
On second thought though... being turned inwards like that will make the gap between the bars smaller, making any sort of bar tricks and such a pain in the ass. Also, bar raping nightmare might be affected too, though I'm not sure how much. I'll be testing out the machine later today, and if it's something that's problematic, I might try bringing it up with the staff there. Just letting them know that it's on backwards and doesn't work as well or something.