How far would YOU go...

Arrange a real world get together by letting people know when and where you'll be.

Moderator: Moderators

How far would you go?

Only within my city
No votes
Up to an hour away
28%
Up to two hours away
33%
Anywhere in the state
17%
To other states
No votes
Until I hit the ocean and my car sinks
No votes
As far as my driver will take me
11%
I refuse to leave my house
11%

Total votes: 18

Arka
Standard
Standard

How far would YOU go...

Post by Arka » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:36 pm

...for a Bemani tournament (i.e., a set of tournaments in Pop'n Music, Beatmania IIDX, and probably DDR/ITG/PIU - but all CS versions)?

Assume a weekend tournament lasting a couple of days, probably the same length as DDR-A-Thon only not as well-coordinated.

There's been Talk (tm) of a tournament held either in Muncie or in Terre Haute (probably not the latter), and I'm curious as to whether it would actually fly.

Feel free to respond with opinions on those cities (AS TOURNAMENT LOCATIONS ONLY, no "terrible hole" jokes, please), comments on what a two hour drive is for you, or really anything you think might be relevant.

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:09 pm

I hate the console version of DDR, so for the others i'd travel up to about an hour or so, but a DDR console tournament would drive me absolutely crazy.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:15 pm

The console version of Pump It Up isn't much better than the DDR releases, especially given that basically nobody has a decent pad.

As far as how far I'd travel, 10<D<150 where D is the distance I am willing to travel in miles. That gets me securely out of Terrible Hole (I can say it - I live here) while keeping me within a reasonable driving distance. I drive 2 hours or so about once or twice a month as it is, so that's not a big deal, especially if gas prices hover reasonably low.

Given the prevalence of DDR and Pump machines, why not hold such a tournament on an arcade? The dancing games are perhaps the hardest to replicate accurately due to the controller, and arcades for those are the most common of all the music games in the USA, as well as being the most up to date in general. The nearest IIDX machine I'm aware of that doesn't completely suck is in Detroit, and I'm not really willing to drive THAT far, so it's understandable to use CS releases for that. Besides, extremely high quality arcade style controlers are readily available for IIDX and pnm.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:04 am

So, wait, you're willing to attend but only if it's NOT held in your own city?

If you lived ANYWHERE else, I would assume I'd misunderstood you. :wink:

Anyway, the reason I indicated there would probably only be CS versions of the dancing games is because they're not meant to be the central attraction - that honor goes to Pop'n, IIDX, and the SuperSession games (though neither I nor anyone I know has arcade-style controllers for the latter, the standard KOCs aren't *so* bad for them). There aren't any good DDR/PIU/ITG machines in Terre Haute OR Muncie (aside from a rumored PIU:Zero that I've yet to see with my own eyes), and even if there were, coordinating such an event with an arcade is not for the faint of heart.

I'd sort of like to see snazzy arcade DDR/PIU/ITG be a part of this, but it's simply not worth the agony required. Dancing game tournaments are painful to coordinate due to the size; more importantly, they're more likely to lead to disputes than any other type. The only type of dancing game tourney I can see myself enjoying coordinating is a variety tourney, and that's just because I like thinking of all sorts of exquisitely dorky ways to make people play DDR/PIU/ITG. :P

There are a fair number of DDR/PIU/ITG tourneys, even in Indiana, but the only tourneys in other Bemani that I've heard hide or hair of were the minitourneys held during DAT5. So if it's a choice between having a full-blown arcade dancing game tourney and having solid CS tourneys in Pop'n, IIDX, GF/DM and conceivably Keyboardmania (if I can find anyone except myself to play), I've really got to choose the latter. Dragging out CFs and several zillion DDR mixes is not going to take away a lot from the other games; trying to teach myself how to run an arcade-style DDR/PIU/ITG tournament is.

All this means that unless I can fob off the dancing game coordination on someone else, I really don't see DDR/PIU/ITG playing a major role in this hypothetical event. Sad, but inevitable.

BTW, anyone who replies with puns related to 'dancing games' and 'coordination' will be summarily stomped.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:08 am

ive drivin 6 hours once for a ddr tourney. it was fun
Team KIMO represent!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:05 am

Arka wrote:So, wait, you're willing to attend but only if it's NOT held in your own city?
Damn right. This place is depressing.
Arka wrote: ...

Anyway, the reason I indicated there would probably only be CS versions of the dancing games is because they're not meant to be the central attraction - that honor goes to Pop'n, IIDX, and the SuperSession games (though neither I nor anyone I know has arcade-style controllers for the latter, the standard KOCs aren't *so* bad for them). There aren't any good DDR/PIU/ITG machines in Terre Haute OR Muncie (aside from a rumored PIU:Zero that I've yet to see with my own eyes), and even if there were, coordinating such an event with an arcade is not for the faint of heart.
Actually, the KOC for DrumMania is downright horrible, and the KOC for Guitar Freaks is nothing to write home about. There is an ASC on KonamiStyle now for GF, and DM can be played on a MIDI drum set.

As far as pnm, I guess I need to fix my controller so I can practice up if you're actually going to do something...

Oh, and there is a PIU:Zero machine in Terre Haute. It is in amazing shape, being virtually brand new. Finding it is left as an exercise for the reader (I didn't even know the place existed).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:48 am

MonMotha wrote:
Arka wrote:So, wait, you're willing to attend but only if it's NOT held in your own city?
Damn right. This place is depressing.
You have no idea.
MonMotha wrote:
Arka wrote: ...

Actually, the KOC for DrumMania is downright horrible, and the KOC for Guitar Freaks is nothing to write home about. There is an ASC on KonamiStyle now for GF, and DM can be played on a MIDI drum set.
OK, *my* DrumMania KOC seems OK to me in terms of sensitivity, etc., though I'll admit that an electronic drumkit is on my "to-do" list. And the GF controllers are... okay, as I stated before. The KeyboardMania controller is actually quite reasonable, IMO. Why do you mention the GF ASCs - do you know of a person in Indiana with a GF ASC that they would be willing to lend to the cause, or are you just decrying my inferior collection of Bemani swag? :wink:
MonMotha wrote:As far as pnm, I guess I need to fix my controller so I can practice up if you're actually going to do something...
Yes, you should definitely practice. What happened to your controller, anyway?
MonMotha wrote:Oh, and there is a PIU:Zero machine in Terre Haute. It is in amazing shape, being virtually brand new. Finding it is left as an exercise for the reader (I didn't even know the place existed).
I've been told that there's one at B____'s F_____ F__ C_____ - if that's the one you're talking about, it's not a very *good* exercise for the reader, but then your skills haven't been honed through years of reading mathematical exposition. Thanks for confirming its existence in your usual clumsy way. :D

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:04 pm

..can we get a pronunciation check on "KOC"? :twisted: :twisted:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:40 pm

ShammerS wrote:..can we get a pronunciation check on "KOC"? :twisted: :twisted:
It sounds like the name of a popular carbonated beverage.

(and that's funny either way you might interpret it)

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:24 pm

I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to be the man who
walked 1,000 miles
to show up for your tourney

na na na na na

NANANANA

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:03 pm

I opened this topic expecting a Klondike Bar.

Thanks, jerks.

http://www.withyourmom.com/?p=45
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:51 pm

I'd be willing to go for a two hour drive at most if the event was big enough and assuming I could get a ride.

I don't know how such an event would fly, there really isn't that much interest for bemani outside of dancing games in Indiana. At DAT5 there were around eight people at the IIDX tournament and I believe three of them were from Kentucky and played just for shits and giggles. Off the top of my head I can only think of a handful of people who'd make the trip to the Terre Haute or Muncie area to play in a tournament.

I'm all for a large non-DDR tournament but realistically I don't know if you'd get more than ten people unless you were able to get some nice prize that people would be willing to go out of their way to compete for.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:02 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:I opened this topic expecting a Klondike Bar.

Thanks, jerks.

http://www.withyourmom.com/?p=45
You beat me to that joke...

I really can't go farther than 20 miles from home, because I just got my license, so that rules me out anywhere besides Rascal's Indy or That Fun Place, or if someone was cool enough to drive me to Gameworks. :?
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:48 pm

I'll go as long as it's not in Muncie :D
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Arka
Standard
Standard

Re: How far would YOU go...

Post by Arka » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:55 pm

Arka wrote:There's been Talk (tm) of a tournament held either in Muncie or in Terre Haute.
MonMotha wrote:As far as how far I'd travel, 10<D<150 where D is the distance I am willing to travel in miles. That gets me securely out of Terrible Hole.
Amp Divorax wrote:I'll go as long as it's not in Muncie :D
ARGH WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???!!!!!11!!!!!e^(2*Pi*i)!!

<*sigh*>