game works visit

Arrange a real world get together by letting people know when and where you'll be.

Moderator: Moderators

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:36 am

any MTG players up in herrrrr???
Team KIMO represent!

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:44 pm

I'm gonna have to make it 5.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:14 pm

5 is very do-able for me. Lets go for 5 then.
Warning incoming game!

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:27 pm

Dyme wrote:any MTG players up in herrrrr???
*raises her hand halfheartedly* I do, but not competitively.

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:30 am

I can bring my Mr Yuck case of MTG decks if you want.
Warning incoming game!

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:54 pm

I finally learned how to play that game.

But, I took so long of a break from it, I have to learn all over again... :(
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

Ray_Clark
Standard
Standard

Post by Ray_Clark » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:42 pm

im on vacation right now so i;ll make my rare tuesday appearance

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:36 am

i was down there today......errrr i mean yesterday. US mix is just god awful and 8th mix wasnt even running.....WTF. oh well
Team KIMO represent!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:42 am

Is their USA machine not working well (pad condition, etc.) or do you just think the mix sucks? Last time I was there (which, I'll be frank, was over a year ago), Extreme was meh in terms of condition, but USA worked pretty darned well.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:23 am

honestly im not too sure about the pad. i cant read 1x for shit so idk. i just thought the mix was bad. it also seemed like it was lagging too but i think thats just the mix
Team KIMO represent!

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:38 pm

Dyme wrote:honestly im not too sure about the pad. i cant read 1x for shit so idk. i just thought the mix was bad. it also seemed like it was lagging too but i think thats just the mix
The "lag" is just the old framerate I believe. It always seemed to me that there was a big change in scroll speed when 6th came out. And I'm not talking about speed mods.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:36 pm

Figure USA is basically 3rd mix (that's what it's based off of). The older mixes were synced differently: much earlier than Extreme. They also ran at 30FPS rather than 60, which makes them look flickery and jittery compared to 5th and newer. I don't believe the arrow spacing or scroll speed actually changed. 1x seems to be about the same across all mixes. They also seem to have smoothed out some static graphics and sprites on the later versions.

As far as the mix, I personally don't mind it too much. Sure it's nothing compared to the corresponding Japanese versions of the day (no American Bemani release ever has until DDRSN in my opinion), but it's really not too bad. It's got a good number of the older songs and it at least does have all the difficulties available.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:44 pm

MonMotha wrote:Figure USA is basically 3rd mix (that's what it's based off of). The older mixes were synced differently: much earlier than Extreme. They also ran at 30FPS rather than 60, which makes them look flickery and jittery compared to 5th and newer. I don't believe the arrow spacing or scroll speed actually changed. 1x seems to be about the same across all mixes. They also seem to have smoothed out some static graphics and sprites on the later versions.

As far as the mix, I personally don't mind it too much. Sure it's nothing compared to the corresponding Japanese versions of the day (no American Bemani release ever has until DDRSN in my opinion), but it's really not too bad. It's got a good number of the older songs and it at least does have all the difficulties available.
I misspoke. When I said scroll speed I meant things that affect the visual aspect of it, not the actual speed. I knew the fps changed and the arrow sprites, but I didn't know it was a 30 to 60 fps change. Wow.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:00 pm

MonMotha wrote:(no American Bemani release ever has until DDRSN in my opinion)
I happen to think that Konamix CS trumps 4th mix CS, but that could be blamed on nostalgia and a lack of proper respect for Furuhata's Theme.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:42 pm

Arka wrote:
MonMotha wrote:(no American Bemani release ever has until DDRSN in my opinion)
I happen to think that Konamix CS trumps 4th mix CS, but that could be blamed on nostalgia and a lack of proper respect for Furuhata's Theme.
When I wrote that, Konamix did come to mind as a possible exception (DDR 1.5 AC also, being basically identical to JP 1st mix and possibly even better, though 2nd mix was pretty much out at that point). However, I decided that you'd have to compare Konamix with both 3rd and 4th mix CS releases (with the original DDR release for the USA region covering 1st and 2nd). At that point, it just can't compare on songlist or features. It wasn't until the MAX and newer era that US CS releases started coming as often as JP CS releases (and MAX US was solid, but then things went back downhill with MAX2, and again MAX US would have to cover 5th and 6th). MAX2 US was alright, but nothing to write home about and Extreme US was OK, but the JP release was much better. The stuff after that was meh comparable, but without arcade releases to back it up it lost some of its luster.

The lack of carryover over JP licenses to US releases also hurts it in the eyes of people like us who have played all the JP AC releases. Sometimes they managed it, but without the "use anything you want" DanceMania deal, it was bound to happen. They usually pulled at least a few US region licenses, but some of us like cutesy girly J-Pop...

Konamix was probably the best US CS release until the CS release of Supernova, but it didn't have the 4th mix challenge mode, and it lacked the songlist of 3rd and 4th (and Extra, I guess) put together that the Japanese market was receiving. 3rd mix also had some really silly adjustment features letting you tweak both bar difficulty and timing to the point of being practically impossible to play. At least the 6 panel feature was still there on Konamix! That's the only exposure this market has ever had to Solo (imported solo machines aside).

Also, you have to get the lesser known releases in there (the two Dancing Stage artist-driven titles of True Kiss Destination and Dreams Come True, as well as Oha Sta). The Japanese market just blew the American market away in terms of sheer number of releases, and you'd have to try pretty hard to make up for it with songlist quality on the US ones. I guess our release of Disney Mix (Disney's Rave, whatever) was better in some ways (it had maniac).

To be fair, I'm not sure the American market could have supported such a large number of releases at that time, and they did tend to pick some of the better songs to make it to the American releases. DDR was just so insanely popular in Japan at the time that people would buy practically anything with the words "Dance Dance Revolution" on it (witness DDR pocket...wtf?).

Now that Konami seems to be acknowledging that the American market is heavily into DDR, I'll be curious if something similar happens with the countries reversed. Without a proper arcade division here in the US (Konami of America closed their arcade division some time ago), I'm not sure that will be possible.

HUM: This is fairly offtopic...
A normality test:
+++ATH