Forums outage

Post your comments, suggestions, questions, etc. about IndyDDR.com here. Also use this forum to report issues or get help with the site.

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Forums outage

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:55 am

Hey there guys,

The forums were down this morning until right now (9:54am UTC-4:00 on 4/24/2018) and the PHPbb Silver theme (which is the best theme) does not appear to be working.

I am seeking an RFO and a credit on my next invoice.

I had copied the error message to my clipboard but I lost it. It basically said "FATAL UNEXPECTED ERROR" and a bunch of markup code afterwords. I think maybe it couldn't find a file for the forum template or some shit? I dunno, hope that helps!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forums outage

Post by Ho » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:25 am

http://www.indyddr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4685

RFO: Upgrade of phpBB from version 3.0 to 3.2. The site was taken down at approximately midnight but did not return until just before 10am this morning. A required upgrade of PHP to support the new phpBB version took longer than anticipated to complete by the host. In addition, there were configuration parameters that needed to be researched and modified in order to complete the upgrade.

We apologize for the inconvenience. You can expect a credit to appear on your next printed invoice.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:50 am

Holy shit that was actually a well done response! I take it you've written a fair number of RFOs in your life, sir?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:10 am

Nope. That was my first one. I had to Bing what RFO was in this context. Request for Offer is how I usually see that acronym used, but I figured that wasn't what you meant. Amusingly, Republicans for Obama ranked higher than Reason for Outage in the list of possible definitions. :P

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 am

If you're gonna Bing something, use Google!

Now, Request For Offer.... When do you usually see that? I ask because I rarely ever see that acronym used in that context.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Microsoft pays me to use Bing. If I'm going to give up my info anyway, I might as well get something for it. It's good enough and...free stuff!

I generally see Request for Offer used in a sales context, but it's not directed at me personally. I don't have any interest in sales myself, but I guess I hang out with salespeople?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:59 pm

YO I'M ON THAT BING BUX TIP TOO

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:55 pm

I don't think I've ever seen "Request For Offer". It's usually "Request For Quotation" (RFQ) or "Request For Proposal" (RFP) depending on what exactly is being requested. Maybe a European standard term? Or maybe it's just not popular in the industries I work in?

Honestly, RFO to me immediately expands to "Reason For Outage".
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:04 am

Shout outs to Request For Proposal that's what I usually see around these parts.

Here let me put out a vague list of requirements for a project and let you all fight over determining what we actually need and the best solution to take. I don't know what I'm doing but I will go with the lowest bidder because small red numbers and big green (or black!) numbers on a spreadsheet are really pretty and they make me look like I'm doing a good job! If shit gets fucked I am in no way responsible it's on you guys to figure out what we want and need.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:17 am

I guess RFP is what I normally see, now that I think about it. At any rate, Reason For Outage was not what immediately jumped out for me when you asked RFO, nor was it the top of the list I got back in a Bing search for it (https://www.acronymfinder.com/RFO.html). But I was familiar with what you were looking for once I had the definition. I'm not in charge of writing those in any official capacity, but I've been around enough to have a decent handle on how to compose one.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:47 am

Brian, god damn it, we need you to stay on top of keeping all acronyms up to date and to keep the people informed of any and all changes!

As the Minister of Language and as a member of the Ministry of Truth it is your sworn duty to dictate how the populi thinks and speaks!