Post limit information

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post limit information

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:00 am

Some of you may have already noticed (since it's actually been there all day) that we have included an information message at the bottom of posting and reply forms as seen here:

This will inform you of your current rank and the number of posts you have remaining for the current day. Hopefully this will help people keep track of and get used to the new post limits.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:17 am

I noticed it earlier today and wondered if it was there two days previous or if I was really unobservant.

It's a pretty handy little thing, especially when it yells at you for when you're about to make your Last Post of the Day.

posts remaining -1

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:36 am

I noticed that the first day the forums were open to registration, there were a number of people who reached the post limit, some rather quickly. I figured they probably missed the announcement about the post limits (since it is buried here in the news forum, it's easy to miss if you link directly into the forums and register). Since there was no other indication of the limits, I figured it would probably be good to add some sort of notification, so I did, and I made it functional too :)

So no, it wasn't originally there.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:25 am

i noticed it yesterday... and i thought that was a pretty neat idea.... i dont like the limit to posts though... cause like yesterday i had 2 posts left at around noon... so i got off the site so i could "save them for later" lol

it is a good idea to limit posts in the beginning.... but it does annoy me lol

either way im just glad the board is back up :D

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:49 am

The idea behind the post limits are simply to get people to think before they post. So it's sorta like spending money. I want to attach some sort of value to posting so that people will in turn want to attach value to their posts. It's something I'm trying to encourage people to make wise choices and not just waste their posts on junk all the time.

It's ok to be random and goofy, but I don't want the excellent discussions that do come up here to get drowned out by a sea of nothing posts.

Having limits also gives us the opportunity for offering rewards...something that will be coming soon.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:53 am

Ho wrote:Having limits also gives us the opportunity for offering rewards...something that will be coming soon.
Maybe I'm still thinking "inside the box", but assuming that someone is of Standard rank and can make unlimited posts then how can limited posts create an opportunity for reward, as they'd have unlimited anyway. The only thing I can think of would be to limit their posts again, which isn't much of a reward.

The plot thickens-

(notice the "Posts remaining today (including this one): Unlimited")

I just noticed it does that when you press "quote" instead of "post reply".
Last edited by LikeableRodent on Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:03 am

We're still working out how all the rankings will be handled, especially once a ratings system comes online. A fair number of tweaks are likely to happen as we watch things evolve. The current rank requirements are somewhat arbitrary (though obviously not as much as the previous requirements, which were based only on post count), and will be adjusted based on the aggregate posting habits of the users.

It's possible that standard may have a (high) post limit if a need for that presents itself, but that's still a ways off as most users won't be eligible for standard for at least 11 more days.

The beginner post limit of 5 was intentionally chosen to be just a bit limiting. We wanted people to feel that there was a good reason to hit at least light. The post limit at light doubles (not to be confused with using both sides of a DDR machine) from beginner's limit to 10, which should be much less of a hassle. Remember, if you're posting frequently, you're only going to be beginner for 7 days. At this point, that may seem a bit silly (since most users are returning), but as new users start to trickle in, that limit will probably start to make more sense. It's only a week, after all.

Regarding the bug:

Thanks for pointing that out. Must be some silly way that phpbb handles doing quote fill in upon post creation. It looks like it will still apply the limit (hit preview and it'll give you the correct info, and the limit is rechecked upon actual post submission). I'll get to work on fixing that.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:07 am

Hmm...a bug! MonMotha or I will have to take a look at that. I think I have an idea of what's going on. Chances are it's only displaying incorrect information (especially since the rank field is blank) and that the limiting/ranking system itself isn't messed up.

As for your other question: I'm not 100% set on the ranks the way they are at this stage. There could be some adjustment to how they're setup currently. Standard could receive a limit of some sort, although it would be set high enough that it should satisfy most normal posting habits. Again, this would be to reinforce the idea of value behind posts. It would also serve to make any higher ranks we may offer in the future that much more of a reward.

Edit: It looks like MonMotha responded while I was composing my response...sory for any duplication. But at least it looks like we're on the same page! :)

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:20 am

A limit of 10 posts per day already seems pretty leniant in my book, as unless this place becomes wildly active it would be somewhat difficult to make more than 10 quality posts in a single day. Assuming that Standard eventually gets changed to 15 or 20 posts per day I see very few scenarios where you'd legitimately want to exceed the limit.
Ho wrote:Standard could receive a limit of some sort, although it would be set high enough that it should satisfy most normal posting habits.
I suppose that I'm just reafirrming that statement.

As an aside, I also noticed that your postcount is no longer displayed beneath your name, assumingly in another effort to promote quality over quantity.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:04 pm

LikeableRodent wrote:As an aside, I also noticed that your postcount is no longer displayed beneath your name, assumingly in another effort to promote quality over quantity.
Yup. You are very observant and thinking right along the same lines I am. In fact, I might remove post count from the memberlist table as well so that you would have to actual go to a person's individual profile page to see their post count. I'm glad that people are active on the forums and having fun with them, but I want to deemphasize post count and promote post quality as you have already surmised.

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:08 am

I actually like the idea of limiting the post. And the rank structure will be a good tool to keep the forum alive and interesting instead of being filled with nonsense.
I for one found that to be the downside to the old site. There were too many stupid post about stupid stuff, and I got annoyed with it. It was too "crowded," and chaotic as well.

So, two thumbs up for the new site! :wink: