Welcome back...almost.

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:40 pm

Spell check on the internet would just curl up and die of a stroke, AND a heart attack at the same time. Internet spelling and grammer is perhaps the worst in the english language, second only to ghetto speak, which I don't even concider English. :roll:

Original Sin

Post by Original Sin » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:41 pm

Anonymous wrote:Spell check on the internet would just curl up and die of a stroke, AND a heart attack at the same time. Internet spelling and grammer is perhaps the worst in the english language, second only to ghetto speak, which I don't even concider English. :roll:
Rawr, I too forgot to enter my name. Hopefully the whole forum comes up soon. :shock:

Secef

Post by Secef » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:13 am

Hopefully it'll be fully up and operational soon. INDDR is a nice temporary substitute, but this place will be more lively I predict. Here's hoping. :wink:

RyogAkari I

Post by RyogAkari I » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:26 am

Nice to hear from you guys again. I can't wait to talk regularly in the freakin awesome new forum. 8)

O 16581 72452 5

Post by O 16581 72452 5 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:13 am

Ho wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Awesome. I'd also like to say on behalf of the folk at http://www.inddr.com that we just wanted somewhere to be able to post while IndyDDR was down. Can't wait for the rebirth.
Though I never signed up there, let me just say that I salute INDDR's efforts at taking action to do something. It's very good to see members of this community stepping up and taking initiative.
Yo,

My site caused much controversy, but you see my point in making it, to help hold the community together. Uberavondancer said some very harsh words and a few other people didn't want to sign up because they looked at it as a "smack in your face".

Personally, i would've put a forum up as the site were being worked to keep the community together. My efforts of INDDR.com did result in one tournament being organized and announced, plus a small get-together locally.

Ho, i e-mailed you about my site.

Musashi13

I KAN TAKK GOODLIKE CAUSE IM SMAERT

Post by Musashi13 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:11 am

Oh, the time... She passes slowly... I can't wait 'till it's back.

And now, a haiku:

EYE WENT TO THE TRAK
TO WAATCH PONYNUGGETS RHUN
AROUND THE GIFPASTE

CaseyDDR

Post by CaseyDDR » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:08 am

O 16581 72452 5 wrote:
Ho wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Awesome. I'd also like to say on behalf of the folk at http://www.inddr.com that we just wanted somewhere to be able to post while IndyDDR was down. Can't wait for the rebirth.
Though I never signed up there, let me just say that I salute INDDR's efforts at taking action to do something. It's very good to see members of this community stepping up and taking initiative.
Yo,

My site caused much controversy, but you see my point in making it, to help hold the community together. Uberavondancer said some very harsh words and a few other people didn't want to sign up because they looked at it as a "smack in your face".

Personally, i would've put a forum up as the site were being worked to keep the community together. My efforts of INDDR.com did result in one tournament being organized and announced, plus a small get-together locally.

I personally think it was your site thatt made Ho get back to doing something. To bad some ppl won't post what they've said to me and others here instead of lying. You know who you few are.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:53 am

O 16581 72452 5 wrote:Yo,

I really meant what I said about your efforts with INDDR.com. Regardless of whatever your opinion of me has been or is, I am very happy to see someone take steps to make a difference rather than just complain. I wholly understand that the long downtime at IndyDDR may have caused people, including yourself, to wonder or assume that I had perhaps given up or maybe never even intended to bring it back.

Let me assure you, however, that I'm not in the practice of being deceptive about such things. Had I actually made the decision to quit for good--either at that time or at some point during the closure--I would have said so. I found it somewhat amusing to hear some of the rumors circulating about what was going on. There were a few people who contacted me directly. I spoke openly and candidly with them, so there was some good information available. But at no point did I ever say to anyone that I was giving up on the effort. Anyone who said or thought such a thing had either drawn their own conclusion or been given bad information.

Some people had developed and/or expressed some negative feelings about either me or the situation with the site. Where you were different was that you actually took it upon yourself to do something. Anyone can complain, you made an effort to make a difference.

I knew that pieces and parts of the IndyDDR community had landed in various places in other community forums over the course of the closure. I think your site may have helped bring some of those clusters together. My only worry in the situation was the possibility of creating a rift within the community where certain sections which had once co-existed instead decided to side against each other over personal beliefs regarding my initial action of closing the site.

I didn't and still don't want to be the cause of or in the middle of some sort of a contrived turf war. The purpose of IndyDDR is and always has been to bring people together. I wouldn't want to intentionally cause the opposite.
CaseyDDR wrote:I personally think it was your site thatt made Ho get back to doing something. To bad some ppl won't post what they've said to me and others here instead of lying. You know who you few are.
Think what you wish. I agree the timing does seem suspect. However, I can assure you that work began on the new site the very first week of its closure. I had a plan of action all along. I simply failed to realize that I wouldn't have the motivation to bring it to fruition anywhere near as quickly as I had planned.

I openly admit to my shortcomings in this regard. If anyone choses to think negatively of me...well, that's your choice. If those people choose to answer Casey's call to express such feelings by posting here...go right ahead.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:20 pm

spellcheck can be done on your own computer...at least in firefox & safari.

anyways, about the "beef" people have. personally i don't care what the reason of the closure was. when you update a site, it's very bad taste to have a work in progress for many reasons:
1) Hacks
2) Hacks
3) Hacks
Oh, did I mention hacks?

Anyways, I congradulate you ho for remaking the site, although I don't really understand what took so long. phpBB is a very easy system, I have to fix broken phpBB boards all the time and hack the code to pieces. I find it humerous that the "bad" posters are all posting again and I see very few of the "good" posters. (The ones that never had drama.)

Truthfully, I thought I was going to leave this site. Then, I realized how much of my "bored" time it ate up. Especially at this new job, you can only refresh slashdot so many times.

Meh...servers died...I'll write up more stuff later when I can think.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:28 pm

Much of the work that Ho has done isn't visible yet; it's all related to the other parts of the site (you know, things other than the forums). I know he's trying to give it a fresh new look (which this board doesn't currenty exhibit). Bringing phpbb back online was done relatively recently compared to the overall downtime. I know Ho showed me his ideas for a new logo (very similar to what's on the top of this page) fairly early on during the downtime.

One of the other big things we're trying to do is tie in the forum system with the rest of the site. Single sign on, integrated profiles, machine locations, etc. Doing so requires some custom code (basically rewriting the profile system) that I've only recently gotten around to working on. We're also trying to give some more definition to the ranking system on the forums, and make it more in line with the DDR theme. Since that's not entirely finalized, I won't go into specifics.

PublicNinja

Post by PublicNinja » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:56 pm

Sweet the site is kind of up! Cool.
(This is deathb4glory by the way)
I broke 3 ribs and fractured my forearm (trying) to race with RevenGafro24 (Neal). he is just Too fast and I rode over my head and crashed i guess. I'm so happy to see some people are starting to come back.

I might get back into ddr soon again. I hope to see some people at gameworks soon. later

God Of Rocks

Post by God Of Rocks » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:53 pm

Site will kick ass. Woo.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:spellcheck can be done on your own computer...at least in firefox & safari.

anyways, about the "beef" people have. personally i don't care what the reason of the closure was. when you update a site, it's very bad taste to have a work in progress for many reasons:
1) Hacks
2) Hacks
3) Hacks
Oh, did I mention hacks?

Anyways, I congradulate you ho for remaking the site, although I don't really understand what took so long. phpBB is a very easy system, I have to fix broken phpBB boards all the time and hack the code to pieces. I find it humerous that the "bad" posters are all posting again and I see very few of the "good" posters. (The ones that never had drama.)

Truthfully, I thought I was going to leave this site. Then, I realized how much of my "bored" time it ate up. Especially at this new job, you can only refresh slashdot so many times.

Meh...servers died...I'll write up more stuff later when I can think.
You didn't leave a name, so I'm not sure who this is...

I also question the need for spell check to be incorporated into the site. People can check their spelling in other ways if they're really that concerned about it. I think the processing and storage overhead of a spell check system here would be best spent on something else. Besides, spelling is the least of the problems of the posts that would benefit most from a spell check. ;)

As for a work-in-progress...get ready for a bad taste. As I have stated, my plan is to launch features on the site as they become ready. This means that things are going to get added and changed. However, I will attempt due dilligence to test new features prior to their introduction as best I can. This is why the forum isn't fully reenabled yet. Obviously the main phpBB system is running, but some of the changes we've made aren't quite where I want them to be yet.

But I think you're just warning against bringing things out before they're ready. I'm going to try my best not to do that, but I'm not waiting to get everything done before releasing anything at all. I did that for two months already...it's time to make things happen center stage and not just behind-the-scenes.

At any rate, thanks for the encouragement!

sam

Post by sam » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:47 am

sorry that anony post was me....work got nasty so i couldn't finish my post

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:43 pm

Blaze: Thanks everyone for telling me. I told about 7 or 8 people to tell me when the board was up.

Glad one of them remembered. I will try it out until everyone comes back and hell returns.