Happy April Fools!

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Happy April Fools!

Post by Ho » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:06 am

Sorry for the delay getting things back to normal around here. Everything has been restored to its pre-April 1st state. So basically it is as though April Fools never happened...at least as far as the forums are concerned. Of course we all know better now, don't we?

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:09 am

that was the gayest april fools forum joke I've ever seen. Intsead of being funny it was just plain annoying and retarded.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:23 am

agreed
insert code compile execute return

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:28 am

Apparently I missed this joke...*sigh*

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:40 am

My posts are at least as good as 1000 monkeys typing.

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:30 pm

I was amused by it for a good few hours, especially when Grubb thought lil Joe hacked the site....but then it got old. :(
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:43 pm

Watching posts change in real time was pretty funny. You'd see someone post and then it would change in about a minute because they 'edited' it. I was also amused when people started communicating through the subject lines. I hadn't anticipated that when we setup this gag. I think that's probably the most the subject line has been used on non-first posts...EVER! But I think the funniest part for me were all the distressed PMs I got from people. I purposely cleaned out my PM box ahead of time to make room for all the PMs I figured (correctly) I'd get.

But you're right, the day was really long and it wasn't particularly funny by the end...especially when I went to undo everything. Restoring the backup from Thursday took F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Blah.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:10 pm

I thought It was frikken genious. I didnt care about it being all day cuz i wasnt here all day. gg admin team, gg
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Fujiwara Bunta
Standard
Standard

Post by Fujiwara Bunta » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:24 pm

Ho wrote:Watching posts change in real time was pretty funny. You'd see someone post and then it would change in about a minute because they 'edited' it. I was also amused when people started communicating through the subject lines. I hadn't anticipated that when we setup this gag. I think that's probably the most the subject line has been used on non-first posts...EVER! But I think the funniest part for me were all the distressed PMs I got from people. I purposely cleaned out my PM box ahead of time to make room for all the PMs I figured (correctly) I'd get.

But you're right, the day was really long and it wasn't particularly funny by the end...especially when I went to undo everything. Restoring the backup from Thursday took F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Blah.

it was prty funny until i started getting accused of being hacked, and getting my rating brought down

Mei-Mei
Standard
Standard

Post by Mei-Mei » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:25 pm

I thought is was pretty funny until people started getting mean and blaming people for hacking it. I think the rating should have been disabled, lol.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:26 pm

The posts you guys replaced ours with were rather amusing. :roll:

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:09 pm

you should always anticipate me figuring out a way around stuff
insert code compile execute return

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:13 pm

Mei-Mei wrote:I thought is was pretty funny until people started getting mean and blaming people for hacking it. I think the rating should have been disabled, lol.
Well, remember, the ratings all got blown away with the restore (and give Ho some credit on that one, I know it took him a while since phpBB's restore function SUCKS!). The ratings that were made yesterday were all part of the fun and don't affect anyone in the end.

And actually, we were hacked. It seems that some intruder used a bug in phpBB's UTF-9 support to gain access to the codebase as well as give him/herself moderator access. We don't believe any personal data was compromised. I would have noticed it sooner, but I was off drinking my Google Gulp while trying to prove that Infinity+1 is somehow greater than Infinity.
sam wrote:you should always anticipate me figuring out a way around stuff
Actually, I kinda anticipated people would figure that out, though I didn't expect it to happen so fast. The change I made to do the trick was incredibly simple (though a similar change could have been used to mung the subject lines as well, or even ratings comments), but we just wanted to have a little fun.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

GaKki
Standard
Standard

Post by GaKki » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:34 pm

I don't know why people thought it was so horrible. It was just IndyDDR-less for one day. Chill. And I thought it was cool. I was a little confused at first, lol!

Soma
Standard
Standard

Post by Soma » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:59 am

I actually didn't notice anything was up until about 4 hours in, being the dead of the night; says a lot for our userbase, eh? ;p
The same blue sky in a strange new world...