Chill out, people...

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chill out, people...

Post by Ho » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:06 pm

...really.

I'm disappointed to have to make a post like this...again...so soon. But once again my PM box is stuffed full of complaints on account of users refusing to get along like decent human beings. That may be ok on other forums, but it has never been ok here. I'm not here to babysit and I hate being asked to do so.

I have always tried to be lenient, to let people talk, speak their minds, and have some fun. All I really ask is that you respect one another. We're all capable of this and I do not think it is too much to ask. There are plenty of other outlets available if you must do otherwise.

Still, some people insist on causing exactly the kind of turmoil that makes running this site become a job for me...work...something I have plenty of already. This shows a lack of respect for the people you hurt, for the group as a whole, the moderators/admins, and to me personally.

The amount of thread derailments and flamewars this last week has been nothing short of alarming. There are plenty of people who are sick of it. And frankly, I'm pretty sick of hearing about it. Logging on just to be greeted by a bunch of PMs pointing me to various people doing conducting themselves in various idiotic ways is no fun.

Shape up, people. You know who you are. I saw a marked improvement with the reopening, but we are rapidly returning to the climate that led me to shut down the site. I may grant a lot of leeway, but I will be taking action if conditions do not improve immediately. Consider this your one and only warning.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:12 pm

I would hug you... but I hope you'll settle for this picture I stole from GoR instead.

O 16581 72452 5
Standard
Standard

Post by O 16581 72452 5 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:14 pm

Yo,

Remember what we were discussing? :wink:

I agree, a community should be able to get along without "police" interfering, but let me tell you about how communities really work...
Last edited by O 16581 72452 5 on Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O 16581 72452 5
Standard
Standard

Post by O 16581 72452 5 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:16 pm

Yo,

Not sure why that double posted and it won't let me delete this post.
Last edited by O 16581 72452 5 on Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:16 pm

Yea IM reallly disappointed that my picture thread got locked *cries*

..Who would've thought that posting pictures of yourself escalate into if goths are hot or not....*sigh*

ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

*IMPORTANT*

Post by ShammerS » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:33 pm

I sincerely hope that you won't have to take such drastic measures.

There is one scenario, though, that let's itself repeat over and over and over, that causes such turbulence. If people can understand it and recognize it, it'll keep our community in balance and without such ridiculousness.

Case in point: Person A says something Person B finds offensive. Person B flames back at Person A. Person A then flames back, and it commences.

The solution to this is for Person B to simply handle it with maturity. Maturity. That involves not stooping to the level of Person A. That involves not getting upset and verbalizing it, thus instigating further conflict. That involves responding with decency, making your points clear but not name-calling or showing displeasure inappropriately.

Above all, though, it involves letting it go once you've done all you can to be civil. It's THAT point in time, when the person becomes so frustrated with Person A that they just flame randomly to anyone and everyone, that things end up as they did earlier this evening.

If you repond with maturity, people will recognize and appreciate it. There's no sort of Person A on any forum that can deny that raw maturity will overcome any flamewar, even if said maturity involves total ignorance and a PM to the administration.

Please remember to just be the more mature one, in any and all cases of possible flamewars, so that we don't lose IndyDDR.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:37 pm

Pheadra wrote:..Who would've thought that posting pictures of yourself escalate into if goths are hot or not....*sigh*
Yeah I figured it would have ended up in the "Hot Topic" thread LOL

But all kidding aside...
I've been in the middle of the fire a couple times, and I'll admit, it was stupid. Arguing on forums is dumb, because the other party will always have a rebuttle no matter what you say. It's a lot different than arguing in person because you're not face to face and there's no intimidation factor at all, and you have a lot more time to think about what to say in retaliation.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:41 pm

S'ok Ho. There's a lot of good on this board as well, so don't let a few people's attitudes affect the whole.

That being said I gave your post a D because you're an ugly goth person that wears girls pants and has a gay car which you drive to go suck at DDR and cheat at halo.

edit: I'm changing the boo to a AA... jeez you people are touchy. Not like he'll go down to lesser-admin.
Last edited by Fluffyumpkins on Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:56 pm

Ugh. Hate drama. Hate it so goddamned much...

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:04 am

God Of Rock wrote:Ugh. Hate drama. Hate it so goddamned much...
agreed....

people need to chill out... but i guess im not one to speak.. .ive crossed the line here too...

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:12 am

at least no1 tried making an exeptable excuse for their behavior, I was half expecting most the goths to do so...

OOOOOOOH CHEAP SHOT :D:D

edit: and shouldn't they be using the rating system more often if they are so 'offended?' you said it yourself Ho, thats what it is there for.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:20 am

Self defense is legal Casey, especially if you're using less force than the attacker.
But that's beside the point. If person A in the aforementioned equation would respect other people on the forum, then there wouldn't have to be a person B situation at all. Sure, person B needs to act with maturity as shammers said, but that doesn't give person A an excuse to go on however they want.
We all need to act with maturity, not just the recieving end of an argument. There shouldn't be any to begin with. People will disagree, that's human, but making personal attacks is just absurd.

Fujiwara Bunta
Standard
Standard

Post by Fujiwara Bunta » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:41 am

I'll tone it down, I just need to quit posting on the forums on minimal sleep. :oops:

that or start smoking again.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:20 am

My point of veiw on this whole mess is this...

This place has pretty much just become a huge popularity contest, and If I honesly gave a fuck about how popular I was in this group I would go around flaming everybody too, because that would get me really noticed, really fast.

When I first joined IndyDDR, This place was a Yahoo Forum. And I remember that some people had said when I joined that "We sure are becoming a large group!" and I was only about the 20th person to join.

I truely miss those days. Back then, I felt I could really accompish the only goal I had being a part of this group; To play DDR, and make a few friends while I'm at it.

At first, didn't really know anybody in the group, but it was kinda nice playing DDR with the same bunch of friendly folks every time I went to Gameworks, Block Party, or The Wash. But as DDR grew in popularity, so did this group. Attracting more and more people, mostly high school kids.

Now, this group is comprised of mostly high school-aged kids and thus, will have similar problems that a high school has. In this case, good ol' fasion bullying, name-calling, gossip, and otherwise weird soap oprea bullshit.

Frankly, I don't want any part of the weird drama that goes on here. Yet, I constantly find myself being dragged into it by various people.

I also seem to be constantly blamed for these flame wars that I want nothing to do with, even though I have never been the one who "cast the first stone." I've only retaliated. If you bite me, I'm gonna bite back. I'm not going to try and rise above that, but I'm not going to sink below it either.

Personally, this group is almost exactly like my High School. The only difference is that in all honest, this place is being run like a marxist-communist government. YES, in theory giving the large portion control (like the rating system) directly to the people IS ideal, and fair for everyone. But in reality, it doesn't work. The people who have control here are the assholes and the people who think they're funny.

All I'm saying, is lay down a few simple and easy to follow and extreamly leaniant rules. We'd only need one... "No Personal Insults on boards" ...and anyone who would violate this rule, say, 5 times or so, would be banned for like, a week or two. That or something like it would slove 99% of the problems in this group and provide a very basic form of sability for this group. And on top of all that, everybody gets to stay!

Giving the forum a single, basic, posting rule that everybody can understand and understand the consiquences of breaking that rule, would not be controling the group with an iron first and all that, it would be giving it the basic stability a group of this size needs to stay together and focus on the important things it needs too, like the DDR-a-thon.

Either way, that's all I really have on this subject.

Fujiwara Bunta
Standard
Standard

Post by Fujiwara Bunta » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:29 am

Grubb wrote:My point of veiw on this whole mess is this...

This place has pretty much just become a huge popularity contest, and If I honesly gave a fuck about how popular I was in this group I would go around flaming everybody too, because that would get me really noticed, really fast.

When I first joined IndyDDR, This place was a Yahoo Forum. And I remember that some people had said when I joined that "We sure are becoming a large group!" and I was only about the 20th person to join.

I truely miss those days. Back then, I felt I could really accompish the only goal I had being a part of this group; To play DDR, and make a few friends while I'm at it.

At first, didn't really know anybody in the group, but it was kinda nice playing DDR with the same bunch of friendly folks every time I went to Gameworks, Block Party, or The Wash. But as DDR grew in popularity, so did this group. Attracting more and more people, mostly high school kids.

Now, this group is comprised of mostly high school-aged kids and thus, will have similar problems that a high school has. In this case, good ol' fasion bullying, name-calling, gossip, and otherwise weird soap oprea bullshit.

Frankly, I don't want any part of the weird drama that goes on here. Yet, I constantly find myself being dragged into it by various people.

I also seem to be constantly blamed for these flame wars that I want nothing to do with, even though I have never been the one who "cast the first stone." I've only retaliated. If you bite me, I'm gonna bite back. I'm not going to try and rise above that, but I'm not going to sink below it either.

Personally, this group is almost exactly like my High School. The only difference is that in all honest, this place is being run like a marxist-communist government. YES, in theory giving the large portion control (like the rating system) directly to the people IS ideal, and fair for everyone. But in reality, it doesn't work. The people who have control here are the assholes and the people who think they're funny.

All I'm saying, is lay down a few simple and easy to follow and extreamly leaniant rules. We'd only need one... "No Personal Insults on boards" ...and anyone who would violate this rule, say, 5 times or so, would be banned for like, a week or two. That or something like it would slove 99% of the problems in this group and provide a very basic form of sability for this group. And on top of all that, everybody gets to stay!

Giving the forum a single, basic, posting rule that everybody can understand and understand the consiquences of breaking that rule, would not be controling the group with an iron first and all that, it would be giving it the basic stability a group of this size needs to stay together and focus on the important things it needs too, like the DDR-a-thon.

Either way, that's all I really have on this subject.
it is not that easy. enough said.