Slow news day ^_~

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Slow news day ^_~

Post by Ho » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:37 am

Congratulations and welcome to God Of Rock, our very first Heavy-ranked user, as determined by the input of the members of this community! Remember, the rating system lets you voice your opinions of what you like and don't like here on the IndyDDR.com forums. Apparently, this community likes what God Of Rock has to offer.

I've decided to use this occasion to toss in some Extreme-styled rank images.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:39 am

Congratulations Chris! You're not a complete ass hole! :wink:
What level of feedback is necessary for a heavy anyway?

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:48 am

Dang, good job, GoR!
Signatures sure are awesome.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:50 am

Original Sin wrote:What level of feedback is necessary for a heavy anyway?
The exact levels for the various ranks are intentionally unpublished and are subject to change. Further discussion on how it all works (up to what we're willing to disclose) has been going on in this thread.

The quick summary is that it takes a significant and consistent number of rating votes in one direction or the other to trigger a change in rank.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:48 am

I like the new graphics, it's like it's from DDR or something ;).

Anyways, I think not revealing the necessary feedback level is a great idea as it will probably keep the abuse of the system down.

Good job, Chris.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:19 am

Yay me!

I still don't know how I got to Heavy first.....
Is anyone else close to getting it?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:18 am

God Of Rock wrote:Is anyone else close to getting it?
Yes, there are at least two people who are extremely close and a few more that aren't too far behind.

Incidentally, to reveal a little bit more of the ranking/rating system, the ranks are determined primarily by a user's rating, but there is also a post count and time since registration requirement. The thought here being that you should have to make a certain minimum number of posts and be participating for a certain minimum number of days in order to attain new ranks. In other words, it works in combination with the types of requirements needed to get Light and Standard.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:34 am

Is it possible to lose your status as a heavy user once you have attained the ranking?

I know I don't have enough points to be heavy yet, seeing how most of my posts are thoughtless and uninformed. :oops: lol

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:39 am

Yes, it actually happened to GOR momentarily.

The rankings are determined on the fly based on whatever information is current for your account. In general, I'd expect that anyone who attains sufficient ratings to become Heavy wont have any problems except maybe when they're right at the break-point.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:32 pm

I'm guessing that this is based on a average of total ratings rather than an accumulation of total points, since you get points for even a C post.

Please, if you can, clarify/verify this theory?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:20 pm

Congrats to malictus on hitting heavy! :D

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:18 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:I'm guessing that this is based on a average of total ratings rather than an accumulation of total points, since you get points for even a C post.

Please, if you can, clarify/verify this theory?
Actually, both. You need a certain threshold of postive votes AND the votes you receive on average need to be of a certain level.

Also to clarify, the grades of posts are determined based on all the ratings for that post--an average, so to speak. For your specific example, none of the available ratings will actually produce a C all by itself. A C requires both positive and negative ratings together. I tried to set it up so that a C signifies a relatively neutrally rated post where there are both some positive and negative votes. B and higher is more, mostly, or all positives. D or lower is more, mostly or all negatives.
God Of Rock wrote:Congrats to malictus on hitting heavy! :D
I was just going to mention this, but you beat me to it.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:01 pm

MonMotha wrote:Yes, it actually happened to GOR momentarily.

The rankings are determined on the fly based on whatever information is current for your account. In general, I'd expect that anyone who attains sufficient ratings to become Heavy wont have any problems except maybe when they're right at the break-point.
haha thx to me :D I changed my rating on that post though so he'd get his heavy back. the fact I had the power to take away his heavy ranking was funny ^_^

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:53 pm

Actually, TaQa gave him a Perfect to give it back.

And you've actually stumbled upon the whole point of the ratings system. Anybody and everybody has the ability to affect the rank of another person. The idea is that through community input, everybody will be ranked appropriately. The fact that a single rating would change the person's rank is an artifact of the fact that he was right at the tipping-point (it's just a number after all). Anybody who accumulates enough total ratings to make it to the higher rankings is not likely to stay around the tipping-point for very long, at least if their previous posting trends continue, and the ability of a single person to immediately affect rank will disappear.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:56 pm

MonMotha wrote:Actually, TaQa gave him a Perfect to give it back.

And you've actually stumbled upon the whole point of the ratings system. Anybody and everybody has the ability to affect the rank of another person. The idea is that through community input, everybody will be ranked appropriately. The fact that a single rating would change the person's rank is an artifact of the fact that he was right at the tipping-point (it's just a number after all). Anybody who accumulates enough total ratings to make it to the higher rankings is not likely to stay around the tipping-point for very long, at least if their previous posting trends continue, and the ability of a single person to immediately affect rank will disappear.
i didnt stumble on it, and go look at the post before you try discussing something you apparently don't know.