April Fools brings new stuff...no joke!

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

April Fools brings new stuff...no joke!

Post by Ho » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:37 pm

Nope, I didn't forget to pay the bills. We're still here...

I hope you had some fun during the break. I apologize that it lasted a longer than just one day. I was taking the time to make some changes around here. Of course they took a little longer than I would have liked in amongst everything else I have going on.

If you haven't already noticed, we've made the jump from phpBB2 to phpBB3. I find this somewhat amusing since I mentioned considering doing this during the last relaunch. It was apparently soon to be released back then in Dec. 2005. It finally happened in Dec. 2007. I guess I'm glad I waited. :)

At any rate, here we are. This is just the base phpBB3 installation...nothing fancy yet. Please enjoy the new built-in features available and report any problems you might find. This is new to me, too. We'll start adding back some of the special features we had as we have time. Some kind of rating/ranking system should make an appearance. It will be different. In the meantime, everyone has been reset.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Re: April Fools

Post by danc1005 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:51 pm

Hmm, what do all the thread icons mean? Like the scrolling ones, and the ones with a little star...?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:57 pm

Where's my heavy status? NOW HOW WILL EVERYONE ON THE INTERNET KNOW THAT I'VE TOILED AND BEEN THROUGH HELL AND BACK TO DESERVE E-RECOGNITION!

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:18 pm

[quote="danc1005"]Hmm, what do all the thread icons mean? Like the scrolling ones, and the ones with a little star...?[/quote]
afaik, scrolling ones are "popular" threads with over 10(?) pages and the starred ones are even moar popular with like 20(?) pages

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:18 pm

quotes are borked bbcode is off

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:33 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:quotes are borked bbcode is off
I beg to differ

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:31 pm

danc1005 wrote:Hmm, what do all the thread icons mean? Like the scrolling ones, and the ones with a little star...?
phpBB2 had similar icons, they just weren't quite as prominent. You used to be able to mouseover them to get a tooltip of their meaning, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I'd bet a little alteration to the style template could probably take care of that. OrangeLounger's descriptions were generally accurate. They're basically communicating the level (or lack) of activity in a given forum or topic.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: April Fools brings new stuff...no joke!

Post by Ho » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:53 pm

In all the excitement over phpBB3, I forgot to announce IndyDDR is also on a new server!

A growing number of people have been complaining about poor performance accessing the site. There seemed to be some routing issues compounded by some probable configuration and performance issues on the server itself that were causing slow performance, timeouts, and even completely failed page loads for a number of people. These problems seemed to plague only a few people at first, but they had grown and worsened over time.

Well, all of that is in the past. We're routing to a completely different box in a completely different place now. Things seem much faster and more stable as far as I can tell. I hope your experience is equally improved. I welcome comments in support or to the contrary.

hermione
Warning

Post by hermione » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:56 pm

It looks really good.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:03 pm

If anything, I'm jealous because I wanted to pull an April Fool's Day joke here and I didn't get the opportunity.

Everybody just play along now!

"Hey everyone! Did you hear that Konami was going to re-release ITG under the series name "ITG: Resurrection?"

PSYCHE! April Fool's...-_-

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:06 pm

[quote="Riot"]Where's my heavy status? NOW HOW WILL EVERYONE ON THE INTERNET KNOW THAT I'VE TOILED AND BEEN THROUGH HELL AND BACK TO DESERVE E-RECOGNITION![/quote]

AAA - Marvelous: Uprated

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:40 pm

so will there eventually be a front page and the photos being revived?

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:39 pm

[quote="Ho"]In all the excitement over phpBB3, I forgot to announce IndyDDR is also on a new server!

A growing number of people have been complaining about poor performance accessing the site. There seemed to be some routing issues compounded by some probable configuration and performance issues on the server itself that were causing slow performance, timeouts, and even completely failed page loads for a number of people. These problems seemed to plague only a few people at first, but they had grown and worsened over time.

Well, all of that is in the past. We're routing to a completely different box in a completely different place now. Things seem much faster and more stable as far as I can tell. I hope your experience is equally improved. I welcome comments in support or to the contrary.[/quote]

HOTTTTTTT

ps: "BBCode is OFF" and can't turn it on

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:51 pm

lgolem wrote:so will there eventually be a front page and the photos being revived?
http://www.indyddr.com/photos/

All the other content is still there. You just have to link to it directly because I haven't inserted a menu into the forum template yet. The home page had a script that displayed the news posts from the forum. It appears to need some adjustment to work with the new system (or perhaps a complete replacement). It's on the to-do list. In the meantime, I just have the home page forwarding to the forums so it's not broken and since that's what most people use while they're here anyway. Hopefully I'll update the style of the other content to match the new forum look (once I've decided on something here--might be this default template, might not) since it was all tailored to look like the previous forum.
Potter wrote:ps: "BBCode is OFF" and can't turn it on
You're the second person to mention this, but it is most certainly on (as demonstrated by the quote in this post). I'll look into why some people seem to be having some trouble with it.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:10 pm

it's off for everyone except admins and moderators i think