Work Zone

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Work Zone

Post by Ho » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:02 pm

MonMotha and I applied a bunch of patches to the forums yesterday. Everything seems to still be working, but please post in the feedback forum if you notice anything that seems to be broken.

We also put some changes in place to try to reduce the number of spambot registrations and postings that have plagued these forums (and many others) over the past year. We were starting to get dozens of spam topics and replies daily. The mods and I tried our best in the past to clean them up as we saw them, but I know some still slipped through now and then.

I don't know about you, but I've quite enjoyed not seeing tons of spam postings this past month since I deleted all the existing spam accounts and set new account activations to admin approval. That seemed to completely knock out the problem, but it was only a partial and temporary solution.

I wasn't really keeping up with checking for legit accounts that needed to be activated, and we were still getting 5-10 bot registrations daily. Hopefully our changes will foil the bot registrations while still allowing real people to join the fun.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:36 pm

hey i registered for an ITGfreak account and they made me answer a math question ^.^

thought maybe that would help pwn teh spambotz
groovestats
<3 blackcat

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:49 pm

What is the square root of the derivative of (cos(ln x))^3, if x=12?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:52 am

danc1005 wrote:What is the square root of the derivative of (cos(ln x))^3, if x=12?
It depends on when you substitute the x=12 in. If you substitute before taking the derrivative, then obviously the expression is constant and the derrivative is correspondingly zero. If you instead differentiate then substitute, the answer is sqrt(-1/4*cos(ln(12))^2*sin(ln(12))), or about sqrt(-0.09574) which is a non-real number (0.30942 j) .

Hopefully this will help those trying to register for an ITGfreak account, because it certainly won't be used by me.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:18 am

The way he worded it it was pretty obvious that you substitute after taking the derivative.

Dan was (also obviously) joking, ITGFreak does not make its members answer calculus problems to gain entry, as cool as that would be. Many of the members aren't even seniors in highschool and so probably wouldn't have had calculus yet.

Here's an example of a problem that ITGFreak does give:

What is the result of the arithmetic problem in the 3. line?
26+110=?
146+79-84=?
24+45+63=?
252-84-48=?
Only use numbers in your answer. e.g. If the result is five, enter the numeral 5.
groovestats
<3 blackcat

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:46 am

BigBadOrc wrote:The way he worded it it was pretty obvious that you substitute after taking the derivative.
Yes, that's what I meant, and I realized that it could be misinterpreted after I made the post, but was too lazy to change it. However, you could make it a trick question and substitute x BEFORE differentiating...

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:23 am

danc1005 wrote: Yes, that's what I meant, and I realized that it could be misinterpreted after I made the post, but was too lazy to change it. However, you could make it a trick question and substitute x BEFORE differentiating...
That would be meaningless. You would be taking the derivative of a point. If you were a teacher and gave that as a trick question your students would smash your face with a stinky rotten cranberry pie.

HAY GUYS LETS BE MATH N3RDZ LOL CAN U SPELL 8338135 WITH YOUR CALCULATAR LOL? MY POCKET PROTECTOR IS BIGGER THAN YOURS LOL L2C NOB
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:15 pm

BigBadOrc wrote:
danc1005 wrote: Yes, that's what I meant, and I realized that it could be misinterpreted after I made the post, but was too lazy to change it. However, you could make it a trick question and substitute x BEFORE differentiating...
That would be meaningless. You would be taking the derivative of a point. If you were a teacher and gave that as a trick question your students would smash your face with a stinky rotten cranberry pie.

HAY GUYS LETS BE MATH N3RDZ LOL CAN U SPELL 8338135 WITH YOUR CALCULATAR LOL? MY POCKET PROTECTOR IS BIGGER THAN YOURS LOL L2C NOB
rofl Mike. Why aren't you like this in person.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAaaaaa
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:12 am

lol :twisted: it's so much easier to do funny accents with text. if i could do it irl i'd make movies like Robin Williams. Mrs. Doubtfire was hilarious back in the day
groovestats
<3 blackcat

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:29 am

BigBadOrc wrote:lol :twisted: it's so much easier to do funny accents with text. if i could do it irl i'd make movies like Robin Williams. Mrs. Doubtfire was hilarious back in the day
*Sticks face into a pie.*

OH HELLOOOO!!!
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Robin Williams is a sad, sad shadow of what he used to be.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:33 pm

danc1005 wrote:Robin Williams is a sad, sad shadow of what he used to be.
Man of the Year was a very good movie, though.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:59 am

OrangeLounger wrote:

hoping that was sarcastic
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:23 am

OrangeLounger wrote:
Yeah that movie was terrishitty.