Post Rating System

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Rating System

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:41 pm

I wanted to get this going last week, but I just haven't found the time to get it done, hence my previous news posting. But I think I'm finally ready now...finally.

MonMotha and I have been working on implementing a post rating system for the forums to help people find good content and encourage people to create good content.

Each post will have a control on the bottom right that you can click to enter a rating for the post. If the post has already been rated by someone else, this control will display the current rating. When you click the link, you will be taken to a form where you can choose a rating. The ratings are DDR-themed (of course) as step ratings of Marvelous, Perfect, Great, Good, Bad, and Miss.

You should rate posts primarily based on the value they add to our community. However, you may use your own criteria as well for what you think is good and bad. Not every rating is available to every user. Which ratings are available is determined by your rank. It is not necessary to rate every post. In fact, most average posts should probably never receive a rating. You are limited to the number of posts you can rate each day, so it makes sense to reserve your ratings for only the posts you feel strongly about.

Here's where it gets really interesting. The compilation of ratings that people give a particular post will determine its overall rating as a DDR-themed (of course) letter grade of AAA, AA, A, B, C, D, or E. The ratings of posts within a topic will determine the topic's overall rating. Finally, the authors of the posts that are rated will be indirectly rated themselves. The more posts they have rated well, the higher their rating will be and vice versa. This is how all ranks other than Beginner, Light, and Standard will be determined. So if you see a Heavy user, you'll know that that person has consistently contributed positively to the forums and you might want to pay special attention to his/her posts. conversely, many negative ratings can cause a user to have ranks that will restrict their usage much like the Beginner and Light ranks do for new users.

For now, I'm not going to reveal the exact values that trigger all of the various ratings for posts, topics, and users. We've run several tests of the system, but I'm going to keep an eye on things for awhile to see how this system works in actual use. We may have to make some adjustments to the numbers so that they make sense with how people use it. So if you see ratings seem to change oddly, that may be the cause. We will also be keeping an eye out for people attempting to abuse the system. Such actions will be taken seriously.

There are other features available with the rating system, but I'm going to end this announcement now since it's already rather lengthy. Feel free to experiment with them yourself and ask questions and provide feedback. This is new to me, too, so I'm sure we'll all learn a lot as we start using it.

thewrathoffluffy
Standard
Standard

Post by thewrathoffluffy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:39 pm

Wow. At first I wondered how in the world you would find a way to gauge the quality of those who post, but I must say... This is a great idea... way to go, Ho

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:25 pm

...*applauds* Way to actually explain so I can understand!!! ^_^
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:48 pm

Does this not work for anyone else or is it just me?

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not query rating option information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY points DESC, weighting DESC' at line 1

SELECT option_id, points, label FROM phpbb_rating_option WHERE user_type IN (1,2) AND weighting <= ORDER BY points DESC, weighting DESC

Line : 444
File : /home2/indyddr/public_html/forums/rating.php

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:51 pm

sweet so instead of getting banned my flaming will jus be limited..

hmm better make em good :D

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:14 pm

Well, I've never seen that error. That's not a part of the ratings system I messed with, but I'll take a look at it some time.

EDIT: Found the problem. I'll have a fix ready for whenever Ho can upload it.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:33 pm

Change has been applied. Hopefully that will fix it.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:09 pm

New error:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home2/indyddr/public_html/forums/rating.php on line 436

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:11 pm

We're on the bug hunt now...hopefully we'll get this figured out soon. Sorry for the delay.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:52 pm

I think we've got everything fixed now. Go forth and rate. Let us know if there are any further issues.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:52 pm

*Whew* A fair number of changes just got uploaded, that should fix most of these problems. If anything else crops up (especially with people being ranked inappropriately), just make a post here (or PM me or Ho if you get locked out of posting for whatever reason).

SIMUPOST!
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:40 am

I did a lot of tweaking of the rating system this morning in an attempt to get the system to work well with the early usage trends I'm seeing. I also added DDR-themed letter grade graphics to represent the ratings.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:30 pm

lmao grubb is already abusing it and giving me all D's hahahah :D

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:29 pm

There seems to be a limit of letting you only rate 10 posts per 24 hour period, so you could think of it as being that you're special enough for him to use his precious allocations of ratings on you.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:41 pm

sam just used 10 D's on the most recent postings in Random Thoughts.

Ummmmmm, abusive?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.