Post Rating System

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Ryan Dognaux
Standard
Standard

Post by Ryan Dognaux » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:03 pm

The concept is cool, I like it, but if people abuse it... it's not gonna work.

Just say no to abuse :wink:
Ryan Dognaux
My Life

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:42 pm

Ryan Dognaux wrote:The concept is cool, I like it, but if people abuse it... it's not gonna work.

Just say no to abuse :wink:
It's kinda too late, people are already going though and abusing it.

Looks like a few people just went though and posted everyone's post as "Bad" or "Miss"

Personally, I don't think this system is a very good idea.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:00 am

lol my rating is permanetly going to be D. I guess its IndyDDR's chance to get a higher score than me for once :O

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:06 am

Since it's late, I'm not going to immediately take the time to investigate all this, but here's a few guidelines:

1) Try to look for positives, rather than negatives
1a) Posts that flame are valid for negatives
1b) Posts that just don't add anything to discussion, but aren't really bad overall should probably just be left unrated
1c) Posts that represent thought should be rated accordingly.

Remember, you don't have to use just the extreme ends of the ratings available. It's not perfect or boo. Contrary to popular belief, there are people who manage to get greats or even goods both while playing DDR and while posting on web forums :)

2) If in doubt don't rate it at all

If you're not sure of the nature of a post (especially if you're contemplating a negative rating), just don't rate the post. It would be good to encourage positive ratings. Remember that negative ratings cause restrictions. If someone isn't actually "out of line" and being disruptive, don't rate them at all. You don't have to rate every post.

3) Blatant abuse will not be tolerated

If it's very obvious that someone is completely abusing the system, or just has an axe to grind with someone personally (not based on posting habits), action will be taken. There's various things that can be done to combat abuse, but removal of the person's ability to rate posts entirely is a possibility.

I hope this helps people out. Anyone who's been abusing the ratings system (and again, I haven't looked in detail yet) has a while to remove their ratings if they'd like to reconsider. However, if you feel your ratings are justified, by all means leave them in place. We'll certainly be in contact with people via private messages before any permanent restrictions are levied against an account.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

CaseyDidder

Post by CaseyDidder » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:24 am

MonMotha wrote:Since it's late, I'm not going to immediately take the time to investigate all this, but here's a few guidelines:

1) Try to look for positives, rather than negatives
1a) Posts that flame are valid for negatives
1b) Posts that just don't add anything to discussion, but aren't really bad overall should probably just be left unrated
1c) Posts that represent thought should be rated accordingly.

Remember, you don't have to use just the extreme ends of the ratings available. It's not perfect or boo. Contrary to popular belief, there are people who manage to get greats or even goods both while playing DDR and while posting on web forums :)

2) If in doubt don't rate it at all

If you're not sure of the nature of a post (especially if you're contemplating a negative rating), just don't rate the post. It would be good to encourage positive ratings. Remember that negative ratings cause restrictions. If someone isn't actually "out of line" and being disruptive, don't rate them at all. You don't have to rate every post.

3) Blatant abuse will not be tolerated

If it's very obvious that someone is completely abusing the system, or just has an axe to grind with someone personally (not based on posting habits), action will be taken. There's various things that can be done to combat abuse, but removal of the person's ability to rate posts entirely is a possibility.

I hope this helps people out. Anyone who's been abusing the ratings system (and again, I haven't looked in detail yet) has a while to remove their ratings if they'd like to reconsider. However, if you feel your ratings are justified, by all means leave them in place. We'll certainly be in contact with people via private messages before any permanent restrictions are levied against an account.
so your going to be taking action against grubb I take it?

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:28 am

CaseyDidder wrote:so your going to be taking action against grubb I take it?
Why the hell would he take action aginst me? Your the one that goes constantly out of your way to be an asshole. Especially to me for some reason.

---------

Either way, this rating system is still a bad idea in my opinion. All it is is a new and improved way for people to flame each other.

Why not make it so only Admins can rate? That would be the only way to keep people from abusing the system.

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:16 am

Grubb wrote:Why not make it so only Admins can rate? That would be the only way to keep people from abusing the system.
'Because, in my humble opinion, IndyDDR isn't run like that. The little man has just as much sway as Ho or MonMotha. Sure, a few people may take advantage of this glorious new ratings system, but if it gets too outta hand, said people will be "taken care of".

*Creepy glare*
Signatures sure are awesome.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:12 pm

Ebola Gay wrote:
Grubb wrote:Why not make it so only Admins can rate? That would be the only way to keep people from abusing the system.
'Because, in my humble opinion, IndyDDR isn't run like that. The little man has just as much sway as Ho or MonMotha. Sure, a few people may take advantage of this glorious new ratings system, but if it gets too outta hand, said people will be "taken care of".

*Creepy glare*
He hit the nail on the head. That's the entire point of the ratings system. There've been some things recently that I would normally have thought about performing "moderative action" on, but I figured I'd let the ratings system have a go at it and see what happens.

Basically, with the ratings system, everyone is a type of mini-moderator. It places a lot of trust in individual users, but we're hoping most people won't abuse the privilage.

There actually is an option to make it so that only admins or admins/moderators can rate, but it's turned off. We'd like to keep it that way. Admins and moderators can take more direct action without the need for the ratings system. The idea behind the ratings system is to allow for community input to make these types of decisions, rather than having a single individual make that determination.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

CaseyDidder

Post by CaseyDidder » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:40 pm

oh well lol the 2 ppl hunting me down are GOR and Grubb.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:45 pm

I only give you a bad rating when youre being an ass.
Im not treating you any different, you just happen to
get under my skin the most right now.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:27 pm

Yes! As I've been saying since the relaunch, I am trying to emphasize community. The sense of community among the people of IndyDDR has been what has made it unique and something special that I have enjoyed being a part of.

This rating system is another idea I'm trying to help support this idea. It gives the community a voice. Community members can express their opinions on what they like and don't like here. My hope is that it will encourage people to participate in ways that people enjoy and also to reward people for doing so.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:26 pm

I was looking at the highest ranked posters section and it seems to only have mods on there.

I believe my average is above 3.0, which is what Jizzon has, and I, nor any other regular level member are listed.

Is this just a unfinished thing or is it intentional?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:28 pm

Yeah, I've been looking at the reports page, too. It doesn't seem to be working 100% correctly. I noticed the same problem that you mention. There's still a few quirks to work out with the system, and we'll let you know of what changes or fixes come about.

If you see anything else strange happening, just make a post about it either here or in Feedback so that we can take a look at it.

Rusty Shackleford
Standard
Standard

Post by Rusty Shackleford » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:49 am

I think the rating system is a great idea. Good job guys !!!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:58 am

Minor update: Previously, only users who had been registered for 14 days and had made a minimum of 25 posts could rate. This effectively limited rating to users of Standard and higher. Now, only 10 posts and 7 days are required to rate, allowing Light users to rate posts. Light users have limited options for ratings compared to Standard and higher users.
A normality test:
+++ATH