...can almost taste it!

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

...can almost taste it!

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:31 pm

MonMotha and I met on Friday night to try and hammer out some of the things we've been working on for the site. Unfortunately, one of the systems we have for the new forums isn't quite working the way that we want it to and it's going to take a little bit more time to rework the code to get it behave properly/the way we want.

However, in the meantime, we have both agreed that the forums can launch without this particular system and that it can be introduced sometime in the days following the launch. I had to work all weekend, so I haven't had a chance to make sure that everything was in order and to "flip the switch." Hopefully I'll be able to get to it here in the very near future.

Hang on, folks...we're almost there!

DDRManiac507

Awesome!

Post by DDRManiac507 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:08 pm

I can't wait! You guys are doing great. Keep up the good work.

PrototypePacifist

Post by PrototypePacifist » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:03 pm

Ho! I'm back! :P

Can't wait for the site to be up! Good job guys, if that logo shows anything of what the site will look like it's going to look really good.

mexican ninja

Post by mexican ninja » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:24 pm

Are we still going to have the "I can't dance without arrows" slogan? Or is that the smell of change in the wind that I...well, smell.

Either way, you're almost there!

mexican ninja

Post by mexican ninja » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:24 pm

Are we still going to have the "I can't dance without arrows" slogan? Or is that the smell of change in the wind that I...well, smell.

Either way, you're almost there!

SoDeepPolaris

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:11 pm

maybe, but I think it's the smell of a double post! Oh!

But seriously, I'm anxiously awaiting the return of indyddr.

kawaiibunny

w000

Post by kawaiibunny » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:22 pm

I keep checking on how things are going! ^-^
Look like things are moving now.

Mei-Mei

Post by Mei-Mei » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:13 pm

Yaay, I honestly have to say I'm excited.

LetsHaveTea

Post by LetsHaveTea » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:13 am

oh i was wondering why i never saw all these updates... if you type in http://www.indyddr.com it doesnt bring you here.... if you type in just indyddr.com itll work.... no wonder i never saw this.....

oh and yea cant wait ho! keep up the good work!...

im thinkin about changin my username though....

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:37 pm

What did you see when you used http://www.indyddr.com?

I just checked, and both indyddr.com and http://www.indyddr.com are resolving to the same place (here). Chances are that your computer has cached the IP address of the old IndyDDR.com server. You maybe never saw the temporary "We are starting over" page then either. However, you had never visited using just indyddr.com and your computer then went out to the public DNS to figure out where to go...and you ended up (correctly) here.

Now, why your computer would be caching the old IP for so long, I have no idea. I'm assuming you're running on a Windows machine (yes/no?) A cached DNS entry shouldn't last for longer than a few minutes and should definitely die if you reboot your computer. If it's 2000 or XP, try going to Start > Run and type:

ipconfig /flushdns

This should clear out your DNS cache. Then try to see if http://www.indyddr.com gets you here (as it should). I'm not sure if this will work on Windows ME or 98. And if you're not on Windows at all...I'm not sure there either. Hopefully you'll get it figured out...or ask again either in this thread or the Feedback forum once the rest of the forums come back. Good luck!

letshavetea

Post by letshavetea » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:10 pm

im at school on a computer i havent used before... (or i was when i made that post)... its a WIN 98 and when i typed in indyddr then hit control+enter it brought me to the "We are starting over!" page... then when i just typed in indyddr.com it brought me here...

at home it brings me to the "Were starting over" page and i have an XP there... ill try that cache thing you were saying.. thanks for the help Ho!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:57 pm

The "We are starting over" page with Yasu and Take doesn't really exist anymore. It's the homepage for IndyDDR.com and has been replaced with a page that currently has the IndyDDR logo at the top and then the news postings below it. Clicking on the Comments button for one of the posts will bring you in here to the main forum system.

If you're seeing the "We are starting over" page, that must be in your browser cache (although that seems unlikely if you were using a computer you had never used before unless someone else had visited the site). Or maybe you're referring to the homepage as the We are starting over page since that was what was there before.

Either way, indyddr.com or http://www.indyddr.com com should take you to the homepage. It sounds like maybe you're not having trouble with browser caching or DNS caching. It might be that we're just getting confused on what we're calling things. It might also be that your browser is filling in extra stuff when you type in the location. In other words, you've visited the forums at http://www.indyddr.com/forums already, so as you type indyddr it's just filling in the rest of it for you.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:15 pm

Looks like the TTL for indyddr.com is set to 4 hours. The move to the new host took place MUCH longer ago than that, so that shouldn't be a problem. It's probably a browser cache issue. Try holding down shift while you hit reload (works in both IE and NS/Moz/Firefox) to force a reload of the page from the server. Failing that, your ISP may have a very poorly configured transparent cache. Complain to them if that's the case.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:47 pm

how could it cache it if its on a computer ive never used before?.....

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:06 pm

It wouldn't. But if it's a public computer, it's a (slim) possibility that someone else visited the site.

What exactly are the two pages you're referring to?
letshavetea wrote:im at school on a computer i havent used before... (or i was when i made that post)... its a WIN 98 and when i typed in indyddr then hit control+enter it brought me to the "We are starting over!" page... then when i just typed in indyddr.com it brought me here...
Is We are starting over the homepage and here the forum? Either indyddr.com or http://www.indyddr.com should go to the homepage.