Renaissance Fun Park Tournament Videos

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Post Reply
User avatar
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5638
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:26 am
Location: The Ho-House

Renaissance Fun Park Tournament Videos

Post by Ho » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:59 pm

I just posted the videos from the PIU tournament at Renaissance Fun Park in Louisville, KY. There are videos of both freestyle AND the final championship, winners bracket, and losers bracket rounds of the Crazy Tournament.

I'm trying something new with the Crazy Tournament videos. The presentation shows both camera video and game video simultaneously!

Image

I think it makes for more interesting and exciting tech videos since you can see not only the players' technique but also the details of the game itself. I hope you enjoy it.

There are also photos from the tournament along with some other newly posted photos in the Photo Archive.
Image

User avatar
Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:53 pm
Location: Apeture Science
Contact:

Post by Pheonixguy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:51 am

Thats awsome! That screen showing the arrows helps alot, it shows how hard it actually is...

I just cant get over how cool that is![/fanboy]

User avatar
ShammerS
Standard
Standard
Posts: 552
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:31 pm
Location: Bloomington, IN
Contact:

Post by ShammerS » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:27 am

I think such a video format would be really cool for other Bemani games, like Drummania, for example.. :cough:..

:lol: :oops: :roll:

Arka
Standard
Standard
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Post by Arka » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:20 am

The new video style is awesome. As usual, you've outdone yourself. :D

How did you obtain the game video - direct hookup to the machine?

[Side note: Zeke's rendition of We Are is actually Freestyle (I think - could be NM, since I'm not familiar with the steps, but it looks a little easy for a nightmare stepfile). The page has it listed as Hard. You may want to change it for the sake of historic accuracy, though I don't know that anyone will mind.]

User avatar
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5638
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:26 am
Location: The Ho-House

Post by Ho » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:54 am

Arka wrote:The new video style is awesome. As usual, you've outdone yourself. :D

How did you obtain the game video - direct hookup to the machine?

[Side note: Zeke's rendition of We Are is actually Freestyle (I think - could be NM, since I'm not familiar with the steps, but it looks a little easy for a nightmare stepfile). The page has it listed as Hard. You may want to change it for the sake of historic accuracy, though I don't know that anyone will mind.]
Fortunately it was only wrong on the page. The caption on the video was correct. That's an easy fix and I don't have to ask MonMotha to re-encode a video. :P I believe you caught me on one of these last time, too.

While making these I'm usually more worried that I will ID a song as Hard when it was actually Normal (possible) or Crazy (less likely, but still possible). In general, if they're using all 10 panels I just assume Freestyle. Most people seem to shy away from Nightmare for freestyling (with good reason), and I think I'd probably notice if someone used it and get the caption right.

As for the game video, I hooked up--of all things--an SVHS VCR to the S-Video port on the video card in the PIU system unit. It was an old-school, yet strangely elegant solution for capturing that information.

Unfortunately, for some reason the VCR did not record the final three songs of the tourney, which is why the game video is missing from those. There was plenty of tape left, so my only thought is that perhaps someone actually kicked the VCR in the power or stop button since it was just sitting on the floor next to the PIU machine. I'll be sure to put it up on a table and/or more out of the way next time to be safe.
Image

Arka
Standard
Standard
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Post by Arka » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:37 am

Ho wrote:Fortunately it was only wrong on the page. The caption on the video was correct. That's an easy fix and I don't have to ask MonMotha to re-encode a video. :P
But he LOOOOOVES re-encoding videos. :D
Ho wrote:I believe you caught me on one of these last time, too.
Hmm, I think I did...

AW! Ho, you're so sweet; leaving those little mistakes in the page so I can feel useful. :wink:
Ho wrote:While making these I'm usually more worried that I will ID a song as Hard when it was actually Normal (possible) or Crazy (less likely, but still possible). In general, if they're using all 10 panels I just assume Freestyle. Most people seem to shy away from Nightmare for freestyling (with good reason), and I think I'd probably notice if someone used it and get the caption right.
I'm working on a comedic NM freestyle right now, actually. But it's a personal quest, certainly not something I'd recommend to the sane members of our community...
Ho wrote:As for the game video, I hooked up--of all things--an SVHS VCR to the S-Video port on the video card in the PIU system unit. It was an old-school, yet strangely elegant solution for capturing that information.

Unfortunately, for some reason the VCR did not record the final three songs of the tourney, which is why the game video is missing from those. There was plenty of tape left, so my only thought is that perhaps someone actually kicked the VCR in the power or stop button since it was just sitting on the floor next to the PIU machine. I'll be sure to put it up on a table and/or more out of the way next time to be safe.
Heh. Murphy's Law of Electronic Equipment strikes again. The orchestra which I used to be a member of had a fellow do audio recordings of some of its rehearsals, and despite his careful precautions people would frequently cycle the power to the sockets he had his gear plugged into. "What does this switch do? Huh, nothing... try flipping it a few more times. <sounds of components frying>"

User avatar
Harleigh RVNG
Standard
Standard
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Post by Harleigh RVNG » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:21 pm

THERE WAS A HEAD IN MY VIDEO?! omg...
I press UR, UL, DL, DR, UR.... it's a spin...

User avatar
WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy
Posts: 1312
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:04 am
Location: North of Indy
Contact:

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:33 pm

Awsome. Much.


Though... the video page incorrectly says Astin Martin played on freestyle.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

User avatar
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5638
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:26 am
Location: The Ho-House

Post by Ho » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:01 am

WhiteDragon wrote:Though... the video page incorrectly says Astin Martin played on freestyle.
So it does...

Fixedededed!

Fortunately, once again it was correct on the video itself. Arka, your proofreading let me down! ;) Of course it probably would be a good idea if I actually bothered to check my own work. :P
Image

Arka
Standard
Standard
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Post by Arka » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:40 am

I have NO idea how I missed that. :oops:

...I swear, it musta snuck in while I wasn't looking! :shock:

Post Reply