Daylight Saving Time

Check here for the latest IndyDDR info.
Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Daylight Saving Time

Post by Ho » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:02 pm

Just an FYI since most of us here haven't had to deal with this before...

Now that we're observing daylight saving time here in Indiana, you may have noticed that post times here on the forums are off by one hour. Everyone's profile stores their time zone individually to accomodate users from other time zones. You will need to modify your profile to account for DST.

Click on the Profile link at the top of a forum page, adjust your time zone setting (currently GMT -4 for most people here in Indiana), and click Submit. Of course you'll need to change this back to GMT -5 when we go off DST later this year.

I'll spare you my opinions on DST...

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Post by blackcat » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:36 pm

Ho wrote:I'll spare you my opinions on DST...
Haha, I probably feel the same way you do...

:x

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Post by TaQa » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:42 pm

Ho wrote:I'll spare you my opinions on DST...
I hated it at first...but then I realized that after I get off work at 5 (or school at 7, depending on the day) I still have tons of time to do fun stuff outside while its still light (disc golf ftw).

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:09 am

I personally think we should've gone to Central time, but that's because of some weird personal things. So yeah I don't really care I'm just glad we're not the backwards hillbilly cousins of the other states anymore that are too lazy to change their clocks. Now it's only Arizona!

-Dan

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:33 pm

dance1005 wrote:I'm just glad we're not the backwards hillbilly cousins of the other states anymore that are too lazy to change their clocks. Now it's only Arizona!
And Hawaii.

Damn Hawaiian hillbillies...
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Being closer to the equator, the difference in daylight hours between winter and summer isn't as pronounced in Hawaii.

And anecdotally, a small portion of Alaska that shares its time zone with Hawaii also does not observe DST.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:47 pm

at least now i dont have to ask "are we in central or eastern?" Which gets annoying after awhile...

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:25 am

We were always in Eastern. We observed Eastern Standard Time all year long. In the summer when everyone else moved to Daylight Time, Central Daylight Time moved up an hour to match us and Eastern Daylight Time moved an hour ahead of us.

So it wasn't a matter of what time zone we were in--just which time zone had the same time as ours when everyone else moved forward or back.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:43 pm

okay... what would be the point of being in eastern if were the same time as central? (not dissagreeing, but its just, weird)

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:11 pm

The way it worked was that when everybody else changed their clocks, we didn't. EST (eastern STANDARD time) is defined as UTC-5. Therefore, we were on the same time relative to UTC all the time. EDT (eastern DAYLIGHT time) is UTC-4. Therefore, when the rest of the US (not the world, mind you, DST is primarilly, though not entirely, a US thing) changed their clocks, we appeared to move an hour. Since the shift for DST is one hour, the same as the offset between timezones, it looked like we changed timezones and started observing CDT (CENTRAL DAYLIGHT time). That's because CDT is also UTC-5.

Now that we observe DST, you could say that we do change timezones: between EST and EDT. Our time relative to UTC changes now (UTC-5/UTC-4), while before it did not. The reason we appeared to move is because EVERYBODY ELSE moved time relative to UTC.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:00 pm

that makes sense, but it still made brain hurt... :cry:

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:57 am

Advantages of switching to DST
- Cable TV shows really come on at the time they say they will
- 'Live' TV shows in the summer are actually live, not on an hour delay
- My kids can play outside until almost bedtime
- No sunlight coming through my window at 5AM
- I'm always on the same time as my parents in Georgia

Disadvantages of switching to DST
- I have to remember to change the clocks in the house twice a year

My opinion should be obvious from the list above. I guess I'm biased 'cause I'm not a native Hoosier :P

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:10 am

MonMotha wrote:The way it worked was that when everybody else changed their clocks, we didn't. EST (eastern STANDARD time) is defined as UTC-5. Therefore, we were on the same time relative to UTC all the time. EDT (eastern DAYLIGHT time) is UTC-4. Therefore, when the rest of the US (not the world, mind you, DST is primarilly, though not entirely, a US thing) changed their clocks, we appeared to move an hour. Since the shift for DST is one hour, the same as the offset between timezones, it looked like we changed timezones and started observing CDT (CENTRAL DAYLIGHT time). That's because CDT is also UTC-5.

Now that we observe DST, you could say that we do change timezones: between EST and EDT. Our time relative to UTC changes now (UTC-5/UTC-4), while before it did not. The reason we appeared to move is because EVERYBODY ELSE moved time relative to UTC.
Unfortunately, since sunlight moves at the same speed in BOTH reference time zones (postulate 2a), the laws of physics still apply and we can't obtain extra hours of daylight in any given day... no matter how many shell games our lawmakers try to play with the clock.

'Nuff said.

Is it a bad sign that I consulted my translation of Einstein's Relativity in making this post?

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:38 pm

^ i hope ur joking and really know what dst is right
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:23 pm

Arka wrote:
MonMotha wrote:The way it worked was that when everybody else changed their clocks, we didn't. EST (eastern STANDARD time) is defined as UTC-5. Therefore, we were on the same time relative to UTC all the time. EDT (eastern DAYLIGHT time) is UTC-4. Therefore, when the rest of the US (not the world, mind you, DST is primarilly, though not entirely, a US thing) changed their clocks, we appeared to move an hour. Since the shift for DST is one hour, the same as the offset between timezones, it looked like we changed timezones and started observing CDT (CENTRAL DAYLIGHT time). That's because CDT is also UTC-5.

Unfortunately, since sunlight moves at the same speed in BOTH reference time zones (postulate 2a), the laws of physics still apply and we can't obtain extra hours of daylight in any given day... no matter how many shell games our lawmakers try to play with the clock.

'Nuff said.

Is it a bad sign that I consulted my translation of Einstein's Relativity in making this post?
:? I just dont see why it matters too much. it is annoying, though, to have to move the clocks one hour twice a year...