[X-Stomp] PIU Exceed 2 tourney - 8/6 1 pm - X-Site

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:04 am

Oh man...triple post! Why isn't there more discussion on this? I've been getting more interest from out-of-staters than from locals on this tournament...what gives?

Anyway, I received another prize from RedOctane yesterday. It's a Pump It Up for PC bundle. It includes a pad, game, and what appears to be a soundtrack album. More info here.

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:56 pm

I don't think it includes the soundtrack after reading that. Also, did you notice the fine print where it doesn't work with XP? I found that kinda funny, actually...

Anyway, there aren't too many people around here who play PIU, it seems. Though it will make for some interesting competition if the majority of them are complete strangers...

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:24 pm

Yume_Taira wrote:I don't think it includes the soundtrack after reading that. Also, did you notice the fine print where it doesn't work with XP? I found that kinda funny, actually...

Anyway, there aren't too many people around here who play PIU, it seems. Though it will make for some interesting competition if the majority of them are complete strangers...
The soundtrack was in the box when I opened it. :) I haven't taken a good look at anything or tried to play the disc, so I'm not positive it's a soundtrack. However, it was in addition to what was obviously the game disc.

I also noticed the Windows XP incompatiblity. I'll test it out and see what's up. I'll test it out and see what's up. (The box isn't sealed anyway.)

As for interest...I'm really hoping for a good turnout. I know PIU is "young" in Indiana, but I also know there is interest out there. I just hope the message gets to those people and they can make it. Please help spread the word.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:06 pm

It would not surprise me if it wouldn't work on XP. It's a pretty old program, and most of the games back then were designed to explicitly NOT support NT since NT was being marketed as a business OS. However, Stepmania can emulate Pump pretty nicely, and simfiles are pretty easy to get. I'm guessing the pad can be convinced to work with Stepmania if you really have to bring the pump experience home.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:36 pm

All the older Pumps (1st&2nd DF, 3rd OBG, Perfect, Evolutionary OBG) are all incompatible with NT-based OSes.

PreX 3 is only incompatible with WinXP, but works with 2000, I don't know why.

FCUK Stepmania. They don't even have the movies half the time, much less most of the SM files I have are incomplete difficulties or inaccurate.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:13 am

I'm not a huge fan of stepmania either, but that's just a function of getting complete and correct simfiles for it, not the emulator itself (which is sound, aside from having rediculously high system requirements).

Windows 2000 and XP are both very, VERY similar (2k is NT 5.0 and XP is 5.1 by MS numbering, so even they think they're similar). Many things that only work on XP and not 2k are simply because the app bails claiming that XP is required. If you convince 2k to lie and claim to be XP, they'll often work fine.

However, XP and 2k are both NT derrived. As such, many of the APIs are different from 98, and there's actual security, which can also interfere with older titles from the 9x days.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:45 am

That unfortunately still doesn't explain why PreX 3 hates XP, but loves 2000 =P

That's also why I have a second hard drive with ME installed on it (yes, ME is of the devil, but I think as Brian read my LJ, I think I'm the only one on this green Earth that's ever gotten ME to run consistantly stable for more than a year, and it's the most compatible with all my components in my system...I'm also running a PIII-450 =P).

Ray_Clark
Standard
Standard

Post by Ray_Clark » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:48 pm

never played pump it up b4! Is there any pump it up machines in INdy that I can go 2 and practice?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:36 pm

Ray_Clark wrote:never played pump it up b4! Is there any pump it up machines in INdy that I can go 2 and practice?
Well, I'd suggest you'd start at the location for the tournament that this thread is about, X-Site.

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:16 pm

Well i am working my ass off to try and get the 6th off for the tourney. No promises but i am doing my best.
Warning incoming game!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:09 pm

Yume_Taira wrote:I don't think it includes the soundtrack after reading that. Also, did you notice the fine print where it doesn't work with XP? I found that kinda funny, actually...

MonMotha and I tested this stuff out over the weekend...

You were correct...the second disc was NOT a soundtrack. In fact, it was a whole other game! So there's actually two games in the box. One is the game described in the link I gave above and the second game is a collection of Banya songs.

Both games worked without issue on the Windows XP system I tested them on, so I'm not sure why RedOctane has that note in their description.

The pad quality lived up to what I had heard. It was defintely better than even the official Konami DDR pads and way better than most third party pads. It's thicker and stiffer than most of those. Ignition-style pads are still nicer, but this blows away any other standard soft pad I've played on. The only issue I had was that it wasn't laying quite flat, but that's probably because it had been folded up in the box. I'll bet that having it out and using it for awhile would remedy that issue.

All-in-all, this seems like it'll be a nice little prize for someone. Good luck!

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:37 pm

I got sat off so i will be making it down to the tourney. On a simmilar note if any Ft wayne people want to go to this touney i can give a ride. I can take 3 more people. Just PM me before Sat.
Warning incoming game!

Erica6924
Standard
Standard

Post by Erica6924 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:26 pm

Bionix wrote:I got sat off so i will be making it down to the tourney. On a simmilar note if any Ft wayne people want to go to this touney i can give a ride. I can take 3 more people. Just PM me before Sat.
Oh
i forgot it was this sat

i took off this sun and mon
so alas..i wont be going.
~*Erica*~

Shiken
Light
Light

Post by Shiken » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:23 pm

Hey guys, I know I haven't posted here in a while... (more like a year or so XD) but I'm most likely going to be at the tournament coming up next Saturday.

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again! :)

I'm only 2nd to TAQA on the top 20 machine scores :twisted:
Originally known as "BurningHeat9000" from IndyDDR generation 1... OG since '02.
Looking for good SFIII:3S, SFIV players in the Indianapolis area to play with! (I'm currently ranked ~180 on PSN SFIV)
MAKE IT MAKE MONEY | facebook!
Find me on DDR/ITG/PIU machines on the northside of Indy! "MAXX" :)

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:56 pm

Dont forget if someone forom Ft wants to go to this event i CAN give rides down. Just get a hold of me before Sat and it will be done
Warning incoming game!