Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

[X-Stomp] PIU Exceed 2 tourney - 8/6 1 pm - X-Site

Post by Ho » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:42 pm

X-Stomp is Indiana’s first ever Pump It Up tournament featuring both
technical and freestyle events for fun, entertainment, and prizes.

Saturday, August 6, 2005
1 pm

X-Site
6155 E 86th St.
Indianapolis, IN 46250

Sponsored by RedOctane

Please visit www.indyddr.com/x-stomp for complete rules and details.

Technical tournament
Double elimination
Score attack
Prize raffle gives everyone who enters a chance to win a prize

Freestyle tournament
"Freestyle Idol" format features five rounds of performances. Audience voting determines which performers advance.
Last edited by Ho on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:37 am

Great idea Ho, love the rules, setup, and date even right now. I'll try my best to be there and participate and help in any and every way I can.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:45 am

I have a few notes and ideas to share as we begin discussion on this event:

First of all, if you'd like to take a peek at other discussions of this event, here are the links to other annoucements I've made on various forums in accordance with the RedOctane sponsorship requirements:
http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=107117
http://www.bemanistyle.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=61
http://www.ddrkc.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3967
http://www.kyddr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2468

I've tried to keep the rules fairly simple. If the official rules seem to read quite long, it is simply because I have tried to write for as many contingencies as I could think of so that we can use it as a reference to deal with various situations that might arise during the event. It is my hope to eliminate the surprise and harsh feelings that can occur when rules are seemingly made up on-the-spot to deal with a situation.

I have also tried to write the rules to try and promote fairly quick matches. Especially in the double elimination format, I want to make sure we keep things moving quickly so that people won't have to wait around for hours for their next match.

I have also been toying around with the idea of interspersing freestyle with technical. In other words, run the first round of tech and then the first round of freestyle. The run the second round of tech followed by the second round of freestyle...and so on. I'm hoping that this will keep things moving and produce a little more variety for spectators. Any thoughts?

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:18 pm

I agree with going Tech-Freestyle-Tech-Freestyle-etc. because it'll keep people more interested in watching. Plus after the first few rounds of tech, the people who lost will have a reason to stay and won't have to stay through hours of tech just to see the freestyle.

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:34 pm

Yay, a pump tournament, should be great fun. I'm not too sure if I can make it, but I'll do my best to get there. Hopefully we can drag in some out-of-staters and get a good group of people there.

Pump is quite good.

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:39 am

Damn it all to hell! The one weekend i cant make it cause of work. Well better luck next time i guess.
Warning incoming game!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:23 am

Bionix wrote:Damn it all to hell! The one weekend i cant make it cause of work. Well better luck next time i guess.
I am thoroughly disappointed to learn this. The tourney is still over three weeks away...can't you request the day off?

Arturo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Arturo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:29 pm

I like the raffle idea. And the Freestyle Idol could be fun!

How many slots will you open up for the Tech?

And is the machine a DX or GX?
Dallas, TX

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:42 pm

I'm not planning on limiting the size of the tech tourney. The bracket will be the next larger power of 2 (16,32,64,etc.) from the number of entries and byes will be randomly distributed to fill any gaps. Realistically, I'm planning on running a 32 bracket, but the last tournament I ran ended up with 50 entrants, so I actually ran a 64 bracket.

However, I will say that I'm in the process of doing some time calculations to make sure that we can finish the tournament before X-Site closes at midnight. I may limit the number of entries if I think we're going to run over on time. But I do not see any reason we will not have at least 32 slots available.

As for the machine...it's a GX. The machine was installed was a brand new install this past March. They took it out of the box and set it up at that time, so it's in excellent condition.

Hoody2006
Standard
Standard

Post by Hoody2006 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:35 pm

hmm sounds great, but 5 rounds of freestyle its gonna be tough
if it doesnt matter who wins or loses then why do they keep score
-Vince Lombardi-

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:38 am

Hoody2006 wrote:hmm sounds great, but 5 rounds of freestyle its gonna be tough
Yeah, that's kind of the idea. I'm guessing it's doubtful that anyone will prepare five separate routines, so I'm hoping for some fun and creative improv out of people.

Of course if someone actually does prepare five routines, I will salute them, enjoy them, and then declare that the person has entirely too much free time! ;)

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:59 pm

Well over 5 people will be gone that weekend for the Madden tourney in Las vegas so that weekend was Off limits over 2 months ago.
Warning incoming game!

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:11 am

*waves at Mr. Ho*

Unless I don't have a ride, I'll be there! (just threw the request off in today)

Make sure you show me where the heck I can find a GF/DM machine too =P

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:28 am

BakaOrochi wrote:*waves at Mr. Ho*

Unless I don't have a ride, I'll be there! (just threw the request off in today)

Make sure you show me where the heck I can find a GF/DM machine too =P
SUH-WEET! It'll be good to get to see you here on the "home turf." :P

As for GF/DM... There's a DM (PF, actually) in town, but the nearest GF I know of is in Ft. Wayne, about an hour and a half away. But if you can stick around for awhile, you're still welcome to stop by the house if you're craving some session action.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:30 am

Whoo...double post!

Just to let everyone know, I received a RedOctane Ignition Pad yesterday to be used as a prize for the tournament. They've sent along something else in a separate package. I'll announce it when I receive it and find out exactly what it is.