Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

MAGFest - Jan 5 - 8

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:36 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAGFest

http://magfest.org/

Jan 5 - 8.

Anybody in? Heard it was a blast last year.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: MAGFest - Jan 5 - 8

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Yeah I'd go even though this looks like a second rate ACEN/Ottumwa mish-mash.

John St. John is going to be there which will be hilarious but the bands all look like hipster novelty acts. There is a surprising lack of J-Core!

Eh, whatevs. I like to go places and play video games and listen to muzak. Let's gather our party before venturing forth.

Nick The Newbie
Light
Light

Post by Nick The Newbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi there! My name's Nick and I help out with MAGFest. I saw you guys had linked to us, so I figure'd I'd pop in to say hi and answer any questions you guys may have. Apologies in advance if this is considered spam, as it was not my intent.

To answer the points Merk brought up, I can't speak for "Ottumwa", as I'm not familiar with it, but we are definitely much different from ACEN. The primary reason being that we are purely a gaming festival with no focus on anime at all. One of our main attractions is the console/arcade/pc/tabletop gaming that occurs all weekend, and along side that are guests from the gaming community/industry (more emphasis on community since we try not to be an industry event). Since we're all gaming and no anime, that is also why we have no J-Core bands. All of the bands that play the main stage at MAGFest are video game music cover bands, as that's another focus of our event. The bands are awesome but....... they're really underground........ you've probably never heard of them..... and if you have heard of them..... I liked them before they were cool....

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:02 pm

Oh Nick please not so quick. One of my friends is an Indy game music Developer, and seems to hype it up every year.

Nick The Newbie
Light
Light

Post by Nick The Newbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Don't worry I won't go too qui-

Oh shit, I'm sorry that's never happened to me before. Hey, babe, I gotta go, I'll call you some time.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:11 pm

I never would have thought that someone organizing Magfest would have bothered to take the time and make posts. I guess I'll never know who all reads the vitriol I spew.

Nick - We're obviously very much boners for Japanese music games here. Will there be any music arcade games at Magfest that aren't Guitar Hero / Rock Band?

Nick The Newbie
Light
Light

Post by Nick The Newbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:23 pm

no wai guitar hero rox, halo 3 4 lyfe, yo.

Actually, among our 100+ arcades machines, we also get a spread of bemani and other music arcade cabs. Forgive me if I get acronyms/shorthand wrong as I really suck at the games, but I'll recount off the top of my head as best I can what we have when it comes to actual arcade cabinets (we may have additional console ones): DDR, ITG, Beatmania, IIDX, keyboardmania, taiko drum master, pop'n'music.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:27 pm

You're a funny guy!

If you actually have arcade cabinets for all those games then count me in. Some of those games are pretty friggen rare in the US.

Nick The Newbie
Light
Light

Post by Nick The Newbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Hey, we'd be glad to have you guys, since it would be no fun to bring these things out and stomp on arrows all by ourselves. Are any of you guys also on bemaniso.ws, or are they the sharks to your jets? I'm trying to decide if it's a good idea or not to mention that a lot of them also come.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm pretty sure everyone here is on Sows but none of us post. Is there a thread on Sows for this event? I rarely ever browse their forums unless I need help with something.

Nick The Newbie
Light
Light

Post by Nick The Newbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. I see that they sometimes link to us, just like I saw you guys did, but I can't view the site for obvious reasons. One friend I have on there has said he has seen threads.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:47 pm

Nick The Newbie wrote:Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. I see that they sometimes link to us, just like I saw you guys did, but I can't view the site for obvious reasons. One friend I have on there has said he has seen threads.
For what it's worth, Josh Whelchel is the gentleman that tipped me off.

I would think the sows community would be into something like this. Bemani, after all, couldn't be any more about video game music. The more I'm reading about it, the more I'm getting hype. AVGN will be there. If you guys actually manage to get a Taiko no Tatsujin cab, I'd be crazy impressed.

A bit far to drive, but I'm down to fly. Any other IndyDDR folk interested? Riot-kun? Brandon-kun? Brian-kun? Whoeverelse-kun?

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:44 pm

I would be interested if I wasn't a babby. I'm all about video gaming, anime and tabletop don't do a whole lot for me, but they can be fun sometimes. Unfortunately I cannot travel outside of Indiana at the moment, but maybe in the future when I'm an adult and was more flexible I'd come in.

Your advertising has really persuaded me and I would totally come and give you guys money because you're great and all, I just don't have the ability. If you guys can freeze my personal life I'll totally come, though! (Maybe another year)

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:26 pm

I would also be interested if I wasn't a babby. Too far!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:44 pm

Riot wrote:I would also be interested if I wasn't a babby. Too far!
'Too far' for this man is anything greater than a 30 minute drive. Babby.