Baron of the Bemani Bordello: July 23rd is a gogogogo

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Baron of the Bemani Bordello: July 16th is a nonononono

Post by Riot » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Right, with thousands of others all watching top players fiercely competing at recent, relative games... Not a few people playing 8 simultaneous games (streaming maybe one at a time or a full room shot in which case you can't see any game.). It just doesn't feel like it'd be worth the effort and setup and technical attention to cater to maybe ten intermittent viewers.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 pm

I can play, though it seems like this is just an excuse to get together and play games rather than a competition, which I'd actually vastly prefer. I'm not big on competitions anymore.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Yeah, with all of us hitting up the Noblesville hoe-down afterwords there really isn't a prize anymore other than a gaining a good story to bore women with. I'm glad you're going to play with us, Brandon, I was worried you weren't. :)

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:36 am

I'm not surprised Riot is a downer, but I would have expected Merk and Fluffy to be more on this given you actually went to Big Bang last year and allegedly had a good time.

My thoughts on this are as follows:
1) I didn't think we'd all be playing games simultaneously. I was more expecting each individual game to be a "round." Even though this is a no-stakes, friendly competition used mostly as an excuse to get together, trying to play any of those games proficiently (except maybe GF/DM in session) with another game blasting right next to you can be distracting at best.

But even if we are playing simultaneously, I don't have a problem with moving a webcam periodically or possibly even just setting up multiple cams/streams.

2) As for who would watch? I don't know. I would have the IVGHOF promote it for us. They've been doing streaming fundraisers this year, so it's something they're already doing. We can also make an announcement here. Maybe no one would watch, but does it really hurt anything?

3) I'm not asking any of you to put forth any effort. I'm just throwing the idea out there.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Baron of the Bemani Bordello: July 23rd is a gogogogo

Post by Riot » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 am

Not trying to be a downer, just trying to be realistic! If you can advertise it and get people interested it would be cool, it just seems that without big names, competitive games and expensive technology, streaming is a lot of work to cater to maybe three or four bored viewers. I guess it would be fun though!

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:30 am

In the interest of time I figured we were all going to be playing simultaneously. I mean, we can do this serially but it would sort of become a chore after watching the third of fourth suck balls on a game they don't often play. If we want to hammer this out in an afternoon then simultaneous play would be best - we can get it done in less than 2 hours if people don't dilly-dally.

Brian if you and your concubine want to record old and fat people playing video games to raise money for older and fatter people who play video games then that sounds like some real Uroboros shit. Go for it.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:40 am

Realistically, I don't have much expectation from this effort. I figure that it's not too big of a deal to do it and anything it produces is better than nothing. If nothing else, we can review the archive afterward for grins. Especially if we're going to be playing simultaneously, we won't get much of an opportunity to see each other.

You guys were being like me and trying to figure out all the ways something *wouldn't* work before we even tried. In this case, even if it doesn't work, no harm, no foul. I mean, it can't be any less interesting than watching a stream of people playing Desert Bus (which is actually a pretty popular and successful fundraiser).

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:52 am

Brian I honestly don't know shit about streaming. If you want to set up a stream then please do but I doubt we'll be able to help in the logistics of pulling it off. Show off your Bemani Bordello for all the world to see.

Did I change the thread title or did somebody else?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 am

Brian if you and your concubine want to record old and fat people playing video games to raise money for older and fatter people who play video games then that sounds like some real Uroboros shit.
This has been the most introspective and thought provoking passage I've read all week.

dr88
Standard
Standard

Post by dr88 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Next year: Add these babies.

Bonus:
Image Dallas? SALAD

dr88
Standard
Standard

Re: Baron of the Bemani Bordello

Post by dr88 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Merk wrote:
Ho wrote:Brandon is generally better at pop'n than me and I am generally better at DM than him. And I didn't think either you or Daniel were especially good at KBM...not that I am either, but I'm guessing I simply have more experience with it than anyone else.
Hell yeah we used to have a KBM at Tokens 'n' Tickets back in the day and I played it all the time between DDR sets. I got decent enough to pass like 3 star songs on Real mode. Daniel probably played it a bunch as well and probably played the piano for serious at some point in his life.

You see, this is why this event would be neat, there's enough variance that each game would not be a runaway.
They still have Supernova, but nothing else... Good ol' times in Ft. Wayne when Putt Putt used to actually had some decent ones.
Image Dallas? SALAD

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:28 am

dr88 wrote:Next year: Add these babies.

Bonus:
Send 'em right on over. I'll be happy to give them a happy home. ;)

dr88
Standard
Standard

Post by dr88 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:14 pm

Ho wrote:Send 'em right on over. I'll be happy to give them a happy home. ;)
One of Technika machines my town's arcade kind of has a pinkish screen (doesn't affect gaming, though). Maybe I can persuade with cookies to send that machine to get "fixed up" in USA, if you know what I mean ;)
Image Dallas? SALAD

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:24 am

dr88 wrote:
Ho wrote:Send 'em right on over. I'll be happy to give them a happy home. ;)
One of Technika machines my town's arcade kind of has a pinkish screen (doesn't affect gaming, though). Maybe I can persuade with cookies to send that machine to get "fixed up" in USA, if you know what I mean ;)
I think this just might work...but only if you can figure out what their favorite cookies are. ;)

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:00 am

Merk and I talked a bit this weekend and I believe we decided that the Baron title will be awarded based on Bemani titles only. That means Pump and Flash Beats will not be included. However, we're talked about doing a separate event including basically everything else. Pump and Flash Beats will be included in that event (same day and everything...just gives us more to play). I propose we name this title the Veritas of Variety (because Merk and I both like alliteration). I have no idea what truth will be proved from it other than the fact that we awarded the title.

I would also like to propose a secondary scoring method for the Baron event. We'll go ahead and determine the Baron based on Merk's original idea, but I'd like to see how the Funspot International Classic Video Game Tournament scoring would rank us in the event.

All we really need to do is record our money scores for each of the games while we record the perfect counts (since that's what Merk wanted to do). Then the winner of each game gets 100 points and everyone else gets their percentage of the winner's points. So if Merk scores 100,000 points and I score 90,000 points, Merk gets 100 points and I get 90. Then you add up all the points at the end of the event to get a total and rank from those totals.

(And no, Merk, this is not just me wanting to use money score for everything. I just had fun at the Funspot event and I'm curious what will happen using that scoring method at our event. And it hardly takes any extra effort for us to do this, so why not?)