Baron of the Bemani Bordello: July 23rd is a gogogogo

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Baron of the Bemani Bordello

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:37 pm

We should argue on the Internet more. (Y'know...since we're already retarded anyway.)

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Ho wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:My thoughts?

Combo should not be a relevant factor when scoring a tournament. There is no sport (I can think of) that factors any sort of combo or scoring in succession when determining the winner.
Bowling.
Conceded.

Maybe it's a Korean thing. DJ Max does the same sort of thing with the whole Fever meter.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:52 pm

You have got to be shitting me. Football is probably the most physically demanding popular sport. Besides, DDR isn't that physically demanding at all so if you're going to call foul on Football then you've got to do the same for your reasoning on DDR.

OK, how about we make goals in Soccer worth 2 points during stoppage time because oh boy the players have been playing nonstop for 90 minutes. Does that make sense?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:13 pm

Merk wrote:You have got to be shitting me. Football is probably the most physically demanding popular sport. Besides, DDR isn't that physically demanding at all so if you're going to call foul on Football then you've got to do the same for your reasoning on DDR.

OK, how about we make goals in Soccer worth 2 points during stoppage time because oh boy the players have been playing nonstop for 90 minutes. Does that make sense?
Those ticket redemption basketball games usually make the last few seconds worth 3 points for every basket.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm

Usually because the basket is moving around and whatnot.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Merk wrote:Usually because the basket is moving around and whatnot.
I think we can all agree that my Pump match win was pretty stupid.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Interesting comparison between the DDR Extreme money score and PIU NX money score systems:

In DDR Extreme, the number of points a given step is worth increases toward the end of the song without any other interaction from the player. Getting a "perfect" on the last step is worth waaay more than a "perfect" on the first step for no reason other than it's the last step. This would be like making goals worth 2 points during stoppage time in Soccer simply because it's almost the end of the game.

In PIU NX, the number of points a given step is worth increases with combo, which is a variable largely controlled by the player. Getting a "perfect" on the last step with a full combo going is worth waaay more than a "perfect" on the first step because the player has done reasonably well throughout the song. This is more akin to rewarding the player in bowling for consecutive strikes: it's something the player's skill determines.

Interestingly, on PIU Exceed 2, a full perfect combo is not always the highest possible score (though it usually is)! Since there's a huge bonus for the 500th step in a combo, and steps with 3+ panels have a multiplier on them for score, it can be useful to delay the 500th step in a combo (e.g. by getting goods which don't break your combo but don't increment it, either) to make that 500th step fall on a quad, getting you something like a million extra points.

Most PIU versions also have bonuses for nightmare play and for getting an 'S' rank. I've lost due to the latter one (I had one miss but otherwise all perfects, while the other person had several greats, however I lost due to the 100,000 point S bonus the other player got).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 pm

And on Exceed 2 you could score extra points based simply on what song you picked. I'm not going to even try to defend that system. :P

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Merk wrote:You have got to be shitting me. Football is probably the most physically demanding popular sport. Besides, DDR isn't that physically demanding at all so if you're going to call foul on Football then you've got to do the same for your reasoning on DDR.

I never claimed football wasn't physically demanding. It's just more "burst-y" than DDR or Pump. Also, we were talking about Pump, not DDR. By comparison, I would call that "foul" on DDR before I would on Pump as I consider Pump to be the more physically demanding of the two.

Meanwhile, I'm just imagining steam coming out of Merk's ears and it brings a smile to my face. ;)

And how about we all just agree that marching band owns all of these. A huge team all has to perform well, together, and continuously for 10 very hard minutes with maybe 3-4 very short breaks...and you don't get to breathe whenever you want. :D (Well, unless you're a scrub drummer like Merk. ;))

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Exceed 2 did that? Not that I remember...

Zero however DOUBLED your score on any of the WPF2006 songs and all Another charts. LIADZ 2 [A] HD 4 times was the only real way to get on the high score list, usually.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:05 pm

MonMotha wrote:Exceed 2 did that? Not that I remember...

Zero however DOUBLED your score on any of the WPF2006 songs and all Another charts. LIADZ 2 [A] HD 4 times was the only real way to get on the high score list, usually.
I think what I'm thinking is that you got a HUGE nightmare bonus in Exceed 2 and I got it partially confused with the bonus you're talking about in Zero. It's been a long time since I've played either and even longer since I even bothered looking at the score while playing either.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:08 pm

The nightmare bonus on X2 was a million points (which could easily double your score...or more). The nightmare bonus on Zero was a mere 500,000 points, and the scoring system easily allowed for base scores in the 1-2M range on non-WPF songs.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:31 pm

These are all great reasons why Pump tournaments should use perfect attack instead of score attack.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Merk wrote:These are all great reasons why Pump tournaments should use perfect attack instead of score attack.
I don't think there will be any additional PiU tourneys here in Indy. Who cares?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Merk wrote:These are all great reasons why Pump tournaments should use perfect attack instead of score attack.
I don't think there will be any additional PiU tourneys here in Indy. Who cares?
Not to mention those methods are no longer used and actually worked for the purposes of WPF since song/difficulty selection per round was determined from a list that included only those songs with the mentioned bonuses. Basically, the scores were inflated, but they were inflated evenly for all players.