Absolute Xscape Tournament - Sunday June 21, 2009

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Absolute Xscape Tournament - Sunday June 21, 2009

Post by Ho » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:33 pm

I see that you have noted the freestyle entry fee as "subject to change." Does it include anything other than tournament entry? If not, it seems rather high compared to the tech tournament which includes buffet and gift card. I assume you're thinking that people entering freestyle will have already paid to enter tech. How would you handle people who want to enter freestyle ONLY?

The available prizes for freestyle are substantially smaller. That seems reasonable if the $10 includes the buffet and admission. But if it does not, then it seems rather high compared to tech when you consider that just the cash portion of the grand prize for tech is 4x the entry fee while the cash portion of the freestyle is only 2x--and that's not even taking into account all the other stuff that you get for your entry fee for tech that it is not clear you would receive for freestyle.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating bigger prizes for freestyle. I'm just pointing out that the cost of freestyle seems much higher for what you get or could possibly get compared to tech. If the entry is higher to cover the fixed prize payouts while expecting low turnout, I'd much rather just see a smaller entry fee with smaller prizes or a safe and simple percentage payout.

I'm glad there's more information on freestyle, but I still think there are some very key points missing. For instance, how many songs will competitors be expected to perform? Any restrictions? How many judges? Who are they?

I really want to get excited about this, but freestyle still seems like an afterthought at this point.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Ho wrote:I see that you have noted the freestyle entry fee as "subject to change." Does it include anything other than tournament entry? If not, it seems rather high compared to the tech tournament which includes buffet and gift card. I assume you're thinking that people entering freestyle will have already paid to enter tech. How would you handle people who want to enter freestyle ONLY?

The available prizes for freestyle are substantially smaller. That seems reasonable if the $10 includes the buffet and admission. But if it does not, then it seems rather high compared to tech when you consider that just the cash portion of the grand prize for tech is 4x the entry fee while the cash portion of the freestyle is only 2x--and that's not even taking into account all the other stuff that you get for your entry fee for tech that it is not clear you would receive for freestyle.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating bigger prizes for freestyle. I'm just pointing out that the cost of freestyle seems much higher for what you get or could possibly get compared to tech. If the entry is higher to cover the fixed prize payouts while expecting low turnout, I'd much rather just see a smaller entry fee with smaller prizes or a safe and simple percentage payout.

I'm glad there's more information on freestyle, but I still think there are some very key points missing. For instance, how many songs will competitors be expected to perform? Any restrictions? How many judges? Who are they?

I really want to get excited about this, but freestyle still seems like an afterthought at this point.
I do somewhat agree with that sentiment, but at the same time the majority of pump players in the area who do freestyle also do tech.
Last edited by Amp Divorax on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:45 pm

Ho wrote:I really want to get excited about this, but freestyle still seems like an afterthought at this point.
It's not so much that it is an afterthought as much as these rules were written up by Andy who has never hosted a dance game tournament before. That is why everything is subject to change. Tim is going to talk to Andy, and see if he can't lower the price to possibly $5 and Tim can cover the rest.

Also, as far as I know, there are probably only going to be like 3 or 4 entries for freestyle, and it's not that we don't care. We put it in the tournament for a reason because we want people to come show up for it. But, it's also hard to make a big deal about it when hardly anyone freestyles...not to say that I wouldn't try it, or that I'm against it, but for some reason it doesn't draw as much attention.

Everything is subject to change because there are still some things that we need to tweak, things that we need to talk to Andy about, because Tim and I seem to be the ones that are experienced with these kinds of things. Andy just needs to be educated a little bit on how tournaments are run.

The last thing you should do is worry about it, or become less excited about it. The tournament is going to be a great turnout. It's going to be fun. Tim and I know what we are doing. Chillax! :D

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:06 am

Amp Divorax wrote:I do somewhat agree with that sentiment, but at the same time the majority of pump players in the area who do freestyle also do tech.
Perhaps. I can't speak for all, but in my case I tend to enter tech only because it is usually cheap and something to do while I'm there. I don't take it at all seriously. As the entry price goes up, the less likely I will be interested in entering just for fun since I have no expectation of even making it out of the first round given the prevalent level of ability these days.
blackcat wrote:Chillax! :D
I'm not freaking out. I'm just trying to offer some constructive feedback on the information you have posted. I obviously can't comment on anything I don't know about. :)

I totally understand that freestyle generally has a smaller turnout in recent years. (Believe it or not, that was not always the case! Freestyle was once bigger than tech and we even had some freestyle-only events. But I digress...) The main purpose of my comments was simply that, in my opinion, what you had posted yesterday would serve to make the small expected turnout for freestyle even smaller--which I definitely do not want.

I completely understand that you wouldn't want the tournament to "go into the hole" and pay out more than it takes in. That's why I'm stating my preference for greater participation even if it means you have to shrink the prizes a little...and a percentage payout allows the payout to grow or shrink depending on participation without risking paying more than is collected.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:05 am

Ho, if you know of anyone one that would be interested in freestyling, by all means, please invite them! Just let me know if they can make it or not, as we will be taking names of those who can make it or not.

Andy has specifically said that he doesn't mind losing money for this tournament. This is the first tournament we are holding there, and we will probably have more there as well. He really just wants this to be a fun time for everyone.

Tim and I still have some things to work out with Andy, so if things change, everyone will be notified. Through facebook and IndyDDR. Tim is going to be posting this information on other forums as well. We are hoping hoping hoping for a big turnout (for both tech and freestyle) :D

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:48 am

For those interested, early registration is available for the tournament. The first 20 registrants before June 19th will receive a gamecard good for 5 free games of DDR or Pump as a bonus!

Download Registration Form Here!!!
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

primerib
Standard
Standard

Post by primerib » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:06 am

Say if we just wanted to come watch, would the admission fee still apply? I feel stupid for asking, but I'm not a good pump player so I think it'd be fun to come down.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:31 am

blackcat wrote:-Two players will do a coin toss. Heads calls which side you play on, tails allows the person to choose the first song. Tiebreaker round songs will be chosen at random.
This is probably not a good idea.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:15 pm

DAVE101 wrote:
blackcat wrote:-Two players will do a coin toss. Heads calls which side you play on, tails allows the person to choose the first song. Tiebreaker round songs will be chosen at random.
Very constructive. Thanks.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:28 am

primerib wrote:Say if we just wanted to come watch, would the admission fee still apply? I feel stupid for asking, but I'm not a good pump player so I think it'd be fun to come down.
Yes, you would still have to pay the standard $9.25 entry fee, as you would have access to the buffet.
DAVE101 wrote:
Please elaborate on this, as a simple "bad idea" comment really doesn't help me much. :S

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:33 am

I thought I had a good reason but now I don't understand the coin toss. The coin toss is for two people but despite what is called out, heads will always be for pad and tails will always be for first song. I don't get it.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Who calls heads or tails before the toss is irrelevant. The whole purpose is to give both contestants a 50/50 chance of getting first song pick.

It's a random seed tournament, so we don't have high/low seeds to go off of for who gets to pick first. Therefore, we decided to just make it random.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:29 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
DAVE101 wrote:
Very constructive. Thanks.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:19 am

Riot wrote: Image
HOLY CRAP! It's Uncle Jemina and he ran out of mash Liquor!
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 am

I didn't get that at first.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/3517/saturday ... ash-liqour

Hilarious.