August 23rd: NX2-Scape 2 / 2D-X-Scape: The Final

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: August 23rd: NX2-Scape 2 / 2D-X-Scape: The Final

Post by Merk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:44 am

So yeah we have like maybe 5 people going in on the Beet tournament. Helllllllls yeah.

But yes, since this is about a week away a ruleset would probably be a good idea.

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Post by ImuyumI » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:47 pm

No ruleset. Oh well, impromptu ruleset!

Double Elim

Everyone must play Fake Time L7. Whoever rocks out the best while playing it gets top seed.

At which point, everyone must play Due Tomorrow [A] on their first round. This will show who's going to advance and who won't.

Then, winner's round must only play 9s & up. Best EX Score wins tourney.

Loser's round will play 1s-5s and will focus on who has the best freestyles. To spice things up, all songs picked will be random, so you'll have improv freestyles.

At the end, everyone gets in a group, sits on the floor and Merk plays Stoic and everyone recreates the video.

Much fun will be had.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:45 pm

Assuming I can even make it, the ruleset, as previously mentioned, will be the same as last time, but remove double play options and initial song selection is Random Gold, not Random All. I've attempted to get an actual ruleset posted but it hasn't been uploaded. For reference, see the original 2D-X-Scape rules.

If I'm not there, then frankly I don't care what happens. Somebody can run it in my absence using any ruleset they damn well please.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:08 pm

The old ruleset will probably work fine with its addendum. The only other thing I would add is to set the difficulty cap at 8 for the first round and then increase it by one each round, if need be (and probably will need be) the semi-finals and finals should allow all songs to be played.

Also, I think mirror should be allowed since the note chart is something static and accessible to everyone, unlike random which can be a big help or hurt.

Personally I wouldn't mind something where the top three scorers of the previous round each select a difficulty rating and then using a random song select from that difficulty. For example Riot wants to play a 7 for his song, Amp wants a 10, and lgolem wants an 8, therefore for that round everyone will play a random 7, 10, and 8. In the case of a repeat song from earlier in the tournament we'll do another random selection. I'm pretty sure you can do a random song from a difficulty rating, so this should work. I think it'll be a little bit more fun, add an element of suspense, and create a situation where one would have to be good all-around instead of being able to do a few songs really well.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:20 pm

I'm sorry, I meant to say that mulligans are out. They didn't change the outcome any last time and just take play time away. I think doubles are a neat option: they will be left in.

I am also taking Merk's suggesting regarding maximum difficulties under advisement. I'll update everybody when I have official rules done and posted, hopefully by Sunday.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:58 am

MonMotha wrote:If I'm not there, then frankly I don't care what happens. Somebody can run it in my absence using any ruleset they damn well please.
If you aren't there, I will use your ruleset and just run the tourney after the Pump tourney is done.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:51 am

The rules for IIDX are available. As before, please make sure you read and understand the rules. The rules are a little different from how most IIDX tournaments are structured, but it is the intent that the rules will provide everybody with a fun experience while still allowing the most talented players to do well in the end.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:02 am

Any clue on what time the IIDX tourney will be at? I might not be able to come, fiance will be in town (she's student teaching at Center Grove high school like an hour away, she can only come back on the weekends) and I'll be with her. If I can get an idea on times I can maybe swing in for the IIDX tourney though.

ImuyumI

Post by ImuyumI » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:11 am

I think I get the rules this time. I remember the rules didn't seem easy to understand the last time and i threw the rules right out and improv-ed it when I got there. The rules, this time, makes me feel that we'll have some more fun than the rules we dealt with in the previous tourney.

The rules

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:42 am

It'll probably start slightly before or slightly after 12:30 (when Pump starts) in order to try to offset startup activities a little since I'll be participating in Pump while running IIDX. I'll post when a final determination is made, but assume 12:00-1:00. If, however, I can't make it, Jeremy will run the event after Pump ends, which would likely be ~2-4PM.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:58 pm

So, it's basically the same as last time expect that the first round cannot have a song that's a 7 or higher. So doubles are officially back in?

ImuyumI

Post by ImuyumI » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:15 pm

Dang, time to practice Op. 31 a couple times, just in case.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Merk wrote:So, it's basically the same as last time expect that the first round cannot have a song that's a 7 or higher. So doubles are officially back in?
Mulligans are also out. Other than that, pretty much. And yes, doubles are officially in.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:26 pm

NX2-Scape 2 results:
3rd: ImuyumI
2nd: WhiteDragon
1st: Jason Dread

2D-X-Scape: The Final results:
3rd: Merk
2nd: Amp (Muncie Represent!)
1st: dr88

The overall improvement shown from where the field was in the first tourney was great and it does kinda make it unfortunate that the IIDX Gold machine will no longer be there. (On the plus side, it will actually be closer to me now since it's gonna be in Fort Wayne so I'll have to see about getting some game time on it once in a while.)

EPIC moments:
The most f*cked up tournament round in history: Vanessa Normal14, Cyber Force Another7, and Fire Fire Normal7 One Hand.
People going for the 'rock out bonus!'
An EXTREMELY close final round.

Now, I figure I should mention this openly. Recently, my body has been giving me the finger due to the overall wear and tear along with stress issues that were triggered thanks in part to recent incompentance by both my civilian and military employers. (Annual Training was a EPIC fail and it got worse when I got practically ZERO recovery time.) As a result since I have been given the opportunity, I'm taking the next few weeks to get some much needed break.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:47 am

Woah woah woah WHAT?!
IIDX Gold is coming to Fort Wayne?
When/where?!