ACEN?

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

ACEN?

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:20 pm

I've never been to an Anime convention, largely because I don't care for anime beyond just being a casual fan. However from Bemanistyle:
As many of you know, we sponsored DJ CHUCKY, M-Project and NO+CHIN at Anime Central 2007's Soap Bubble party. This year we're coming back and we're pulling all the stops. On Friday, May 16th 2008 in place of the annual Underground Groove party we'll be holding HARDCORE SYNERGY, an event featuring some of the most talented Hardcore DJs Japan, the US and the UK have to offer. Our lineup still isn't 100% finalized with a few more DJs lined up but awaiting confirmation. Currently confirmed to make an appearance are:

* DJ CHUCKY (GUHROOVY)
* DJ Da/Le (AVSS)
* DJ Silver (Happyhardcore.com)
* DJ Comet
* M-Project (TERRAFORM MUSIC)
* Jakazid (Nukleuz)
* DM Ashura (BMS)
This sounds bad ass. Anyone interested?

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:37 pm

Hardcore sucks.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:40 pm

I'm going with a group of six or so. Be wary, the main hotel has already sold out and the alternates are selling quickly!

I'm looking forward to the concert lineup this year.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:55 pm

I like Ashura, but I don't think I could stand being in a room with all of the people there who are... er... "dedicated anime fans" for more than 20 seconds.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:15 pm

This is going to sound dorky, but I think my daughter and I are going this year. She is HUGE into anime right now and has been making AMV's for almost a year. Are most of the events kid-friendly enough that I can bring a (rather mature) 12-year-old?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:23 pm

I've heard (from Chad) that there are a lot of drugs and stuff going on, at least around the concert areas. But I've never been so I can't say. I would imagine a lot of booths and main exhibit areas are relatively family friendly. I did a tiny bit of googling and it sounds like they have 18+ sections and other sections that are kids only, where they show screenings of anime catered to younger age groups. ACEN advertisers itself as a family-friendly event, so I'm sure it would be fine. What I was alluding to with the drugs before was what Chad was mentioning about the rave-concerts and stuff probably focused more on the older attendees anyway.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:43 pm

This is what I'm afraid of =(

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:22 pm

Dude, those dolls are HOT!!!

:roll:

Yeah... anyway, I'm planning on going again this year. Not sure where I'm staying yet...
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:29 pm

I don't mind hardcore. I actually think it sounds better live anyway.

I've heard that at Cons, many people do just have parties in the hotel with lots of drugs, but I don't intend to meet or hang out with those people. I'm not even very interested in the Con itself, just the show. Fact is you'll find crazies, druggies, and general losers at any type of convention. Guns, Anime, Bemani, cars, sports, computers ect. The same goes for concerts.

I pretty much want to attend Friday night and then head for home.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:02 pm

This is what you should be afraid of:

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:38 pm

Jim,

I think you'll be fine bringing her to ACen. This year will be my fifth straight and I haven't seen any illegal drug use at the concerts (or any of the events for that matter.) The only adult material at the con is clearly marked as such, with a few panels and booths that are Yaoi themed or something. Saturday night's Soap Bubble dance had a DJ that liked to scream obscenities last year, but it was well in to the A.M before that began. Also, alcohol isn't permitted outside of the hotel rooms, so while there may be a few drunk people when it gets late, there won't be any booze flying around.

She may see some scantily-clad cosplay, but beyond that, it's quite family friendly.

That said, let me know which days you plan to go! There are a few areas of the con that I insist you check out.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:17 am

ShammerS wrote:Jim,

I think you'll be fine bringing her to ACen. This year will be my fifth straight and I haven't seen any illegal drug use at the concerts (or any of the events for that matter.) The only adult material at the con is clearly marked as such, with a few panels and booths that are Yaoi themed or something. Saturday night's Soap Bubble dance had a DJ that liked to scream obscenities last year, but it was well in to the A.M before that began. Also, alcohol isn't permitted outside of the hotel rooms, so while there may be a few drunk people when it gets late, there won't be any booze flying around.

She may see some scantily-clad cosplay, but beyond that, it's quite family friendly.

That said, let me know which days you plan to go! There are a few areas of the con that I insist you check out.
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for --- thanks!

We went ahead and made motel reservations; we'll be there late Friday night through Sunday afternoon...

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:35 pm

ShammerS wrote:That said, let me know which days you plan to go! There are a few areas of the con that I insist you check out.
I'm curious, since I've never been either.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:17 pm

I would consider going, but the possibility of getting Glomped is something I don't like. (Worst than that being the fact that I'll probably throw the person in question unless it's a hot chick due to my Moron Corps instincts.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:31 am

fat Yuna......ROFL
Team KIMO represent!