2D-X-Scape - February 23, 2008!

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:21 am

In casual conversation, "was" is frequently used in this context to mean a present tense situation where the speaker is not present. This is how I interpreted it. As for kits that weren't on e-amuse, I'm not sure you'll be able to find one that isn't a rare US owned second-hand. I think any arcade which would have had Gold and would immediately upgrade to the very next style would also have a connection to e-amuse. When I was in Japan a few years back, I didn't find a single IIDX not on e-amuse, and I'm guessing it hasn't gotten less popular since then...

Also...

I AM 1337!
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:13 am

I thought the kit came from a domestic source due to what was mentioned to me by other people, of note being the fact that getting a kit to upgrade from Bemani Twinkle to Bemani PC can't be an easy task. Obviously, that has been proven wrong.

Many props for somehow snatching this kit.

February 22nd Edit: I'm going to be upfront on this one. I already know that most like Merk and Izco will probably beat me. That's not really my main goal though there.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

SplashBeats
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SplashBeats » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:29 am

shouldn't your main goal be to have fun and enjoy good times with the community?

gold, eh? guess i don't need to bring my towel!

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:03 am

SplashBeats wrote:shouldn't your main goal be to have fun and enjoy good times with the community?
Hell no! Everyone knows that winning is all that matters!
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:33 am

SplashBeats wrote:shouldn't your main goal be to have fun and enjoy good times with the community?
you would figure that would be the case, but sadly that is not what it is like

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:27 am

Heh, no don't go setting yourself up for failure this is gonna be a fun competition and anything could happen. I'd say top 5 spots could go in any order. Lets have some pizza. :)

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Well, I find it rather ironic that Izco said that the Top 5 spots could go in any order as in the Semifinal round I was right behind him and got eliminated, but he ended up winning the tournament in the final round. Big props to him for pulling off what was a bit of an upset as Merk had the top spot in all other rounds.

The tournament went very smoothly and was pretty awesome overall. Personally, I mainly attended to hang out with other players and to play Gold so I consider it a success in that respect. One thing though, I think we learned never to use Random on Gold due to how distasterous it can be. (Due to having to hear it 11 times, I think it's safe to say that nobody wants to hear Lab, Logic Board, and Macho Gang again for a while.)
Memorable 2016 quotes:

SplashBeats
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SplashBeats » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:27 pm

fun times, guys, sorry about tranoid :B

Zeke
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Zeke » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:32 pm

SplashBeats wrote:fun times, guys, sorry about tranoid :B
I thought that was funny

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Post by ImuyumI » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:55 pm

My only regret was that I didn't pick Gambol [A] instead of 5.1.1. Light 7

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Gambol Another is only available on IIDX RED CS. Other anothers that are console release only are The Strong Jaegear, The Theme of Denjin J, and Rugged Ash.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Well, everyone was going so crazy during the tournament no one even realized 5.1.1. L7 wasn't even allowed at that time during the tournament. Too bad there wasn't a level cap, it would have been lots more fun.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:56 pm

You know what's even more silly? I actually thought of that, but then went "oh, no, they re-rated it when it got changed to the new chart". Which of course is correct...for the Hyper.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:16 pm

If you're running a "TOURNAMENT", I don't think anything less than a 6 should be allowed anyway, but whatever we all had fun. I just don't think theres anyway you can say anything about the outcome with these kinds of rules.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:37 pm

I disagree. I think the rules did a very good job of allowing those who may not be as skilled or experienced with the game to get some play in while still providing an entirely reasonable ranked outcome of 1st-3rd. I think that a tournament ruleset should provide reasonable accessability to anybody who is even somewhat familiar with the game while allowing those who are the best in the running to come forward and claim the top places.

After all, the final round came down to who we could have all guessed, and while there was an upset victory, that happens with any ruleset, and it's why you bother playing for the prizes in the first place rather than just handing out money based on past performance.

There's no reason to arbitrarily restrict entry or early play to just "the best" unless there's serious time constraints, which we didn't have to deal with. You'll note that my ruleset even considers such situations by guaranteeing that the second round is limited to at most 10 players. In a sense, the first round serves as something of a qualifier, while still allowing serious play by everybody involved.

You're free to run your own tournaments, of course. You can either do an unofficial one, just paying to play as everybody goes, or feel free to talk with those in charge of the establishment if you want a little more access, such as use of event mode. I don't care what ruleset you use for these, and I'd even encourage you to play around a bit. You don't have to just copy somebody else's rules, though that may serve as a decent starting point for general format.
A normality test:
+++ATH