Site Code Monkey

2D-X-Scape - February 23, 2008!

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:45 am

* When: February 23, 2008 with play starting at 1PM
* Where: Great-X-Scape Arcade in College Mall, Bloomington, IN
* Why: Why not?
* How: See below

Rules are posted, so check them out.

This is the same date and time as NX-Scape 3, and there's nothing to prevent you from competing in both, so everybody have some fun.
Last edited by MonMotha on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:39 am

Clever name.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:02 am

Double Post

A few questions:

Why a prize for last place? Sort of a you-got-in-over-your-head refund I guess?

The mulligan, can that be used in the finals as well?

I'm interested to see how this plays out with doubles being allowed.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Meh, not the way I'd do it. But hey, I should just be happy that there's even a IIDX tournament in the first place, right? At least it's not going by money score.

I'll call it right now, the way this tournament will pan out will depend on who's the best at doubles. It won't matter how good someone is at singles if the other person can beat you by 100+ EX on doubles. But I guess we'll see what happens when it happens.
Ho wrote:You want Top Ranker rules? Run your own tournament.
Does this mean Brandon would let someone, other than himself, use his IIDX machine to run a tournament? Because really, the only options are using Brandon's machine or holding a console release tournament at someone's house.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:09 pm

The ruleset is pretty decent. However there is one flaw that I should mention concerning the song selection rules.

The song ratings in all IIDX releases prior to 10th style are setup so that Another ratings show the same rating as their 7 key/Hyper counterpart. This means that in early rounds me, Merk, or somebody else could use this loophole to select stuff like 5.1.1. Another (Which shows a rating of 1, but is 10 on Happy Sky and newer) or other songs that suffer from this problem. While I am tempted to do such a thing, I figure that would just be an immense dick move and would piss everybody off in the tournament.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:32 pm

The limit is on minimum difficulty, not maximum.

I will amend the rules to account for this, however. For the purposes of meeting the minimum difficulty, all Anothers will be considered to be at least a 6, and therefore are always available for play.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:00 pm

Merk wrote:
Ho wrote:You want Top Ranker rules? Run your own tournament.
Does this mean Brandon would let someone, other than himself, use his IIDX machine to run a tournament? Because really, the only options are using Brandon's machine or holding a console release tournament at someone's house.
Brandon is a understanding man, I am sure if we wanted to have a tournament on his machine on a later date we more than likely could, heck I am sure he is fine running it on 'Top Ranker rules' (whatever the fuck that is cause I don't know the difference) some other day, he is just aiming to make this a fun side tournament to take place during the pump tournament, if you guys would shut up, accept it and show up I bet you would have fun. You guys asked for side tournaments, you got it, and now you complain. Just makes no sense at all.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:58 am

MonMotha wrote:The limit is on minimum difficulty, not maximum.
Yea, I kinda misread that. Sorry.

Regardless I'm glad I mentioned this and I'm probably going to bring the Hibroad List of song difficulty as a personal reference.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

hermione
Warning

Post by hermione » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Since when are Mulligans allowed in tournaments? Even me being a humble 17 year old female knows that's just dumb! I bet it's for the organizer who enters his own tournament in fear of being dominated :D

At least thats what potter thinks, hes mean :(

I <3 you MonMotha!

Potter: Sorry, it's me on my liberal girlfriend's name. Anyways, MonMotha, you are only doing doubles to hope that you can maybe win something, knowing how useless doubles is on IIDX. No matter how impressive you think doing medium difficulty songs on doubles is, its not. sorry. nope.

not sexy.

I will say though, way to think ahead about you getting last place, you will STILL end up going home with a few dollars :D
Last place: The smaller of $5 or 5%, with any remainder going to 1st place

way to think ahead! It's like when you run out of cereal pouring it into your bowl, but then all the sudden here comes this sweet badass spoon with the cheerios bee on the end! SWEET!
I'm prettier than you :)

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Should be fun :).

Only problem is see is with the doubles. I mean just like with any game Singles and Doubles is pretty much a completely different game as Merk described. Just like if you had a DDR tournament, you wouldnt allow someone to choose a doubles song in a single tournament in hope that the other person can't play doubles. Some of the best players dont play doubles at all because they cant, but w/e. We'll see how it plays out. I'll have fun either way, money isn't really issue with this tournament.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Given the people I expect to be there and the rules regarding who gets to pick the song/mode, I don't expect doubles to come up more than a couple times. That said, it would probably make sense to practice some double, even if you don't normally play. As for allowing doubles in a DDR tournament, don't think I wouldn't. Many of my Pump It Up rulesets have included provisions for nightmare (the highest double difficulty) play, and the USPF/WPF rulesets do, too.

If you think that the double play option is in there for me to win, just check my VJ Army scores compared to other local players. There are several who consistently outscore me on any double difficulty.

As for the mulligans, you only get one. Use it wisely or not at all. I fail to see why this is some sort of obviously terrible thing to do in a tournament. It *is* different, though, but that's not a problem.

If you don't like the rules, simply don't enter. I don't want people complaining about the rules during the tournament, though. Please be sure you have read and understand the rules prior to entering. The rules are designed to allow everybody, including those who may not have much experience or skill at the game, to have some fun. I don't think there's anything in there that would prevent those who we can all guess have a good shot at winning any IIDX tournament from doing so at this one.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:02 pm

I didn't mean to really complain and im sorry if you got the impression i didnt want to enter. I'm really excited about this tournament and i think its going to be a lot of fun. im just saying im a iidx player and i dont really like playing doubles especially competiting, but this is more of a fun thing. We still all play by the same rulse so im not saying its unfair, just that i like singles. and it really is a completely different game when u play doubles. 2 different skills. I mean i never play pump it up, and im still entering that, should be fun. watch out :wink:

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 pm

I would come and take a look at your machine before this event, it loves to up and die now. -_-

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:16 pm

I got your voice mail. I'll take a look at it some time. Describing the CD-ROM drive in there as "old and tired" would probably be a candidate for understatement of the decade, so it isn't surprising for it to be giving trouble. I have another drive I can try, though, so hopefully things will keep working.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:14 am

NOOOOOOO!!! Don't die beloved IIDX machine!

If the hardware keeps acting up, will the event be canceled?

Edit: Sometime in the next few days I should find out what's going on with my ADSW orders and once that is done I will be able to confirm my attendence.
Memorable 2016 quotes: