2D-X-Scape - February 23, 2008!

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Post by ImuyumI » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:11 pm

Yeah, I had fun. I just wish there was more stuff that could've been played that I could've passed (haven't really gotten good enough to tackle Anothers yet), instead of just doing my flailing of fingers and hoping I'm hitting keys, which is why I picked 5.1.1. L7 to begin with, which I find funny we let slide. I didn't know about that rule.

Good times.

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:57 pm

Oh I totally agree with you, you're not understanding what I'm saying. The way your looking at it is can the noobs have fun, and do the right people win. With these two ideas in mind all you're caring about is the first and final rounds. I do think you do a good job in those aspects, partly. I like the idea of being able to choose your difficuly first round, which does give all players a good chance while the good players don't have to suffer through songs that are way to easy. I don't like how the songs we're randomly chosen. I think they should be random, but there needs to be a restraint, or limited song lists that can be chosen for first round. Since these are the songs that are played the most, we don't want macho gang being played a bagillion times. After that all you looked at was the final rounds which worked out, cause it was the 3 best players, IMO, and no one to choose bad retarded songs. It worked out because no matter what the songs are in the middle the best players are still gonna get through them. But still you're not giving any concern to the middle of the tournament. I thought the 2nd and 3rd rounds ended up being retarded and weren't fun at all. 3rd round not so bad as the 2nd. I noticed the farther you go along, the better songs get cause u weed out bad players who choose bad songs. I dunno about the whole last person still in the tournament chooses a song. Both cases ended up bad because the person figures they have no chance so they just screw everyone over. I think the songs for the middle should be chosen differently and there needs to be a limit for those songs.

My suggestions is first round pick 3 random songs from a pre-selected list, or a number of songs suggested by the competitors. Numberwise i would keep the same rules about eliminations but make the next 2 rounds difficulties with ranges like.. 6-8, then 7-10. Final round with just 3 competitors I would just make it with a minimum difficulty of something between 8-10... probaby 8 or 9. With these limitations i think the tournament would be fun to everyone at all difficulty levels.

Anyway, I would love to try running another tournament judging by how many people are interested. Again I'm not disagreeing with your points I'm just stating another point that the middle of the tournament needs to be as fun as the beginning and ends, assuming the beginning random songs aren't macho gang and logic board.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:26 pm

Yeah I was hoping there would be a difficulty restriction on the 2nd and even 3rd round perhaps.... because forcing everyone to play 11s and 12s on Another cuts out everyone except top tier players. I didn't think I had any chance to win, but I do feel like I would have gotten farther if we would have played 6-9 difficulty songs instead of 12 another. =(

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Well the problem really isn't that the bad players are gonna get cut, because the same people are gonna get cut reguardless if its a bad or a good song, easy or hard. In your cause it might of a made a difference of 1 ranking, but overall not really. Only cause you were so borderline it made a difference. The problem I have is that It would be more fun for the people who made the 2nd round to play songs that they can actually play, and more fun for the harder competitors to not play such hard songs so early in the tournament. They should be saved for the final rounds.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:29 pm

A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:19 pm

This is mostly accurate. It should be noted that I actually won the tournament for being the best DJ. Everyone can agree that despite EX score, my set had the same caliber as Paul Oakenfold any day of the week.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:32 pm

I think we should have another IIDX tourney sometime now that it is officially Gold and we could let people know it is Gold and get the word out more in advance about it an all and even though I will suck at it I wanted to compete just didn't want to be away from running Pump. But that is just what I think :)

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:34 pm

2nd

I'll even run it if no one wants to. :)

Also keep in mind itll be better now the timing is fixed.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:35 pm

I would suggest that, next time, the events, if there's more than one, be done back to back rather than simultaneously. This would pretty much necessitate them being done either on separate days (Friday/Saturday, for example) or having one start fairly early (right near opening). While we didn't have any problems, it did pose some challenges for those in charge of the tournaments, as you allude. Doing them back-to-back might also increase participation in individual events and get more interest in the form of onlookers, too.

If I end up running another one, I'll look into incorporating the feedback people have had into the ruleset. I've got some other nifties that may show up, too. Be prepared to have the funs!
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.