NX2 Scape, February 23rd (new version, new format)

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Riot wrote:Beatmania free play and only allowed for me to play all day.

Good idea!
Alas, given your lack of turntable skills (and I'm going off of what you said at DDR-A-Thon) I don't think that would work. If they can confirm some IIDX action I will look into attending.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:09 pm

Jason Dread wrote:I have to chuckle a little bit about "technical" freestyles being the half double Anothers for LIADZ and Vook FS - but nevertheless a decent songlist.
Well I mostly put those in there for more of a variety in the first tier, cause if you notice, tier 1 is the smallest list of all the tiers.

And if you noticed later, no Shake it Up or She Likes Pizza :D There are reasons behind that, I may make some minor changes to the song list to add more variety and to remove the ones that are just god aweful, but right now I only found 1 which shouldn't be in tier 1 cause it is ridiculous, so there may just be some additions after today.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:49 pm

Well, I can confirm some IIDX action. Full details will be posted soon.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:36 pm

Terrible news, I can't come (neither can Sarah) due to it landing on the same weekend as the Dirty South Improv Festival in S. Carolina - so, unless I get a miraculous date-change, no FS for us. :evil: :cry:

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:57 pm

MonMotha wrote:Well, I can confirm some IIDX action. Full details will be posted soon.
My interest is piqued. However as I mentioned yesterday when we talked, I would like to have full information before I can commit to anything and I strongly recommend a logical system (I am following the Top Ranker tournament system, E-Amuse, and TGA's IIDX tournament as examples of logical tournaments.) of doing this so that more people will be interested in participating.
Last edited by Amp Divorax on Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Amp Divorax wrote:My interest is peaked.
*Piqued.
Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:49 pm

If you want Top Ranker rules, don't bother. I'm not running Top Ranker rules. I simply don't think they are appropriate for this region.

My tournaments tend to have rational but somewhat esoteric rulesets. Read it when I post, and if you don't like it, don't come.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:45 pm

MonMotha wrote:If you want Top Ranker rules, don't bother. I'm not running Top Ranker rules. I simply don't think they are appropriate for this region.
Not appropriate for this region? What pompously long winded explanation do you have for what I do have to consider one of the most hilariously ludricious Bemani-related statements ever on this forum?
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 am

Seriously, Amp...just drop it already. You want Top Ranker rules? Run your own tournament.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:17 am

Apparently my humor was a little lost in that post as I wasn't even being serious, but since people got butthurt now I really do want to hear an explanation behind the logic so I'm going to PM concerning it.

Also, I said Top Ranker was an example of a logical system, not that it should be followed to a T cause I disagree with allowing random in the final round cause it becomes a case of luck over skill. (Something that I've mentioned to you and MonMotha both.)
Last edited by Amp Divorax on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:35 am

I think you should already have your answer from the conversations on Saturday, but let me just lay it out on the table...

Indiana is not exactly a hot bed of the world's best IIDX players. Sure, we've got some standout talent, and I would certainly salute those players. But overall, there are mostly casual players with widely varying skill levels--I'd suspect mostly do to the unavailability of equipment (CS or AC, but particularly the latter).

As such, I think it's wholly appropriate to construct a tournament that allows for varying skill levels to compete in a friendly and non-threatening environment. And frankly, I think you're taking this whole thing way too seriously. It's not like it's being constructed to exclude you or penalize you. It's being constructed to give opportunities for more players to participate and have fun.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:04 am

I think you also may have misunderstood my rules. Random (the modifier) will never be allowed at any time during the tournament. Random song selection will only occur once and not during the final round. I'll get rules posted soon. Please read them when I do.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:17 am

Well, regardless I hope that this will be a good event as we really need IIDX stuff happening up in this bitch!!!

In my case I will put myself down as a possible entrant, however I have to find out what's going on with the classes the Moron Corps is making me attend first as if they decide to do it back to back I'm screwed.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Jason Dread
Standard
Standard

Post by Jason Dread » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:40 pm

Alright so now that Brian has acquired a NX2 I have a radical new idea - follow me on this.

Brian's permission and carting the upgrade to Bloomington deeming approval, if that won't be a problem how about either:

1 - Change the format from this doubles tournament to a standard NX2 double elim tournament which would put everyone altogether on the same playing field considering no one has really played it but there are enough videos out in the open for anyone curious to check on the content to see how it is (which I will say it is much more balances than what NX ever was).

2 - Add an addition event into the day's activities (after the NX doubles' tournament) which could be a single-elimination NX2 tournament to allow people to see/play the content and let everyone play afterwards.

3 - NX2 play/freeplay after the events.

It really doesn't seem to me as if there would be a good amount of people entering a doubles tournament, a lot for the sake that it's a doubles tournament and most people in the area (especially the casual players) won't touch Nightmare. My suggestion/bias would really lead to option one being the better and more viable choice out of all three due to more people are apt to play in singles' tournaments ESPECIALLY when there is a new mix involved. There's also the rather arbitrary matter of being the first NX2 tournament in this region (or hell, the United States).

It's your call to allow the use of your upgrade, Brian; and Jeremy's call if he'd want to change this - but I'm just throwing ideas out there since there is now an alternative to the mix we've had about 4 or 5 tournaments on in the past year.

Anyone else's thoughts?

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:58 pm

Jason Dread wrote:It's your call to allow the use of your upgrade, Brian; and Jeremy's call if he'd want to change this.

Anyone else's thoughts?
I have no problem with it at all, I mean I am going to have to get a song list pieced together but still that could be done in one visits to Ho's. I think I still have the standard double elim rules somewhere, it would deffinately bring more people in for the tournament, no question, the ONLY reason I made it doubles was for something NEW to an already considered old version. But if Ho is fine with it, I can head up there again sometime and sort through the new songs and pull out the shit and good stuff.

Double Elim - Best 3 out of 5 Crazy finals sound ok if Ho agrees.