Upcoming Events at the Great X Scape in 08

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:14 pm

Merk wrote:Wasn't there talk of changing the Tekken 4 machine into a Pop'n machine?
Yes, there was talk about it cause it is the only one with a big enough control panel to fit it all.
WhiteDragon wrote:I do believe there's a certain level of complete illegality that mucks up that plan.
And this is why the talk only became nothing but talk. :cry:

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:03 am

Seriously, I don't think Pop'N would do all that well as anybody not familar with Bemani would consider it too much of a kiddie game.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:11 am

It would do better than Beatmania which is like the most intimidating thing ever.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:26 am

I dunno about that as Pop'N kinda is much less forgiving to new players due to how the health bar is setup.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:50 am

Riot wrote:It would do better than Beatmania which is like the most intimidating thing ever.
actually to people roaming into the arcade who don't know about it consider it to be a DJ game or Like Guitar Hero, there fore they play it, and fail miserably, for being as hard as it is, it gets A LOT of random people playing it
Amp Divorax wrote:Seriously, I don't think Pop'N would do all that well as anybody not familar with Bemani would consider it too much of a kiddie game.
But see the approach I made with Daniel was 'It would make more than Tekken 4'. And being the fact that it would be 3 minutes from Kyler it would cause Tekken 4 averages at about $7 a week so, it would do better than Tekken 4.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:05 am

$7 a week is pretty much a joke.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:10 am

I know you're probably sick of hearing this and I know you don't control prices for IIDX, but in all honesty it would make a lot more money if it was changed to 2 tokens per single play. More people will come in and play for longer times if they knew they were getting their moneys worth. I can't afford to pay $1 for 3 songs and last for more than an hour or so. If it was 50c there would be a lot more people coming out for extended periods of time and at a higher frequency. One reason why not a lot of people ever come out to play DDR but we came out like every week for joint premium. There should be some kind of weekly thing or something. I've just never understood expensive games, I realize they need to make money, but the frequency of customers and the length of time (and thus the overall amount they spend) would be so much higher and produce higher total yield if it was cheaper.

Just sayin', it would benefit both sides.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:20 am

And I am just saying Scott, there are a lot of people who come in and play at the $1 :) so I think it will stay that way on the dance games and the music games, yes if I could control it, I would have like a 10 (hell I would do 5 dollar tuesday) on freeplay on dance games, but I can't

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:30 am

Probably will not be having any other events for a while, except DAT (which is WAY later this year), that will probably be it for a while anyways.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:36 am

Ugh, I just typed a long post and accidentally closed it.

I'll sum it up.

$20 for $23 in tokens makes each dollar worth $1.15.

Buy 7 rounds, get the 8th free. The token deal is pretty lousy. Keeping the price of gold at $1 but with better token deals would keep the random folks paying full price and reward local high paying customers.

For example, pick a ratio. Say we want it to be buy 3, get the 4th game free That would be something like $30 for $40 in tokens. Locals pay out the ass for the great deal. No random person would drop that kind of money for the deal.

I think this solution would be best for all parties.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:51 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Ugh, I just typed a long post and accidentally closed it.

I'll sum it up.

$20 for $23 in tokens makes each dollar worth $1.15.

Buy 7 rounds, get the 8th free. The token deal is pretty lousy. Keeping the price of gold at $1 but with better token deals would keep the random folks paying full price and reward local high paying customers.

For example, pick a ratio. Say we want it to be buy 3, get the 4th game free That would be something like $30 for $40 in tokens. Locals pay out the ass for the great deal. No random person would drop that kind of money for the deal.

I think this solution would be best for all parties.
YES, that would work on the VIDEO portion of arcade, but that would COMPLETELY FUCK UP the redemption portion of arcade, we would have go through and up the prices of tickets for prizes, and that would throw off our redemtion sales, and we would have to order more tickets to replace the tickets that were getting dispenced and that would cost more money everytime we order tickets. I know you guys are trying to say it will bring more buisness, but every idea you come up will fuck with the system we have now.

I personally think we should have a system, like Rascal's with a Saver's Club thing. And I have been pooling together ideas on how to get that to work so Daniel will run with it, don't worry I am trying to find a way to get more tokens to the devoted customers without fucking up the rest of the arcade sales and redemption economy.

Izco
Standard
Standard

Post by Izco » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:19 am

Well one thing i think can be taken in to account is, most of us who go to play iidx, or i should say all theres only a couple, go in with a certain amount of money, say 5 dollars worth of tokens. no matter what the cost if we make the trip we're gonna spend that 5 dollars worth of tokens, now if we know we're only gonna get 5 rounds opposed to 10 rounds or 7 rounds, it might not be worth it to make the trip. Because most of us are on limited budgets too, i think lowering token price would make it worth make the trip to the arcade more often which would equal more income. Of course this is just one factor, and theres other factors as well.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:42 am

Putt-Putt had a pretty good system where if you showed your college ID you would get 8 tokens for a dollar, doubling what you would normally get. Granted, Putt-Putt could afford to have such a deal, but it would be nice if GXS did something similar like maybe 6 tokens on the dollar.

As far as I know, the college crowd isn't really big on redemption games (probably because they know they're getting ripped off) so you wouldn't suffer nearly as much on redemption as you would if you allowed any yahoo to buy a card and get the deal so you'll still be getting bank from the townies. Plus, it would make the college crowd more likely to come and the deal would effectively not be an issue in the summer since nearly all of the college kids are gone.

You wouldn't have to spend anything on materials, you don't have to make a card with your logo on it or anything. The customers will provide you with the card, there is literally no start-up cost involved.

If you look at it right now, it's $10 for 44 tokens. With the college ID deal it would be $10 for 60 tokens, only 16 more than the already established deal. Buy two games of twodicks get one free looks a lot more inviting than buy seven games of twodicks get one free.

I feel like it's exclusive enough to not hurt the business or make any pressing changes to the system and it would award and motivate a significant number of customers (i.e. not just me, Chad, Rico, and Riot) to come to the arcade more often. I mean, you could always put a daily limit on it like $10 a day so you don't have someone buy $100 in tokens and give them all to his friends and family.

Besides, Daniel's a God-fearing man, shouldn't there be some emphasis on education? Git-r-dun

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:49 am

Merk wrote:I feel like it's exclusive enough to not hurt the business
But you are wanting a deal on a game that we have to share the profit with, so if we give you free tokens that you put in a machine that we have to pay back a certain precentage of the tokens you put in, you are lowering our profit and increasing the amount we owe.

Seriously guys, if we could do it, we could freaking do it, I ran the idea past him a million fucking times, HELL, I even through the idea of an INDYDDR EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNT, and for one thing there is no way to garentee that we will keep track of sales because we can't just allow all of our employees get access to unlimited tokens to sell out. Hell we could probably get a dicount but the only 2 people who could access the tokens, would be me or Daniel. Whatever means we could give you guys better token deals, WE DON'T HAVE. We would need a machine to despense tokens behind the counter and keep track of how much it despenses, which would cost A LOT to get. We have racked our brains a million and half ways, and every idea we have come up with just won't cut it. Don't act like we aren't even trying.

And besides I see no problem with the pricing or the extra token system and ultimately there is ZERO, ZIP, NADDA, NOTHING I can do about this. You want change talk to Daniel. Quit bitching to me about it.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:41 am

Jer-mee,

No need to be defensive - listening to your customers should be priority. Rule #1 of business: If you're going to play Mr.PR (that's Public Relations), be nice. We hear your side and are trying to come to an agreement, or at minimum, an understanding.

That said, I agree that some sort of club card, student ID, or membership system for a better token deal would be quite thirteen-thirty-seven.