$1000 Guitar Hero Tournament

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

$1000 Guitar Hero Tournament

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:40 pm

If I were 18, I'd have all the cash money (or maybe just the Fender Stratocaster).

http://www.prestonsrocks.com/rocktober.php
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:56 pm

This scores a FABULOUS for a Guitar Hero tournament with a major prize, but a major BOO for the tournament rules.
the web site wrote:The players performance will be judged in the following manner:

* Each area of skill will be awarded between 0 and 10 points.
* Accuracy: Rating of the player's ability to accurately play all the notes given.
* Stage Presence: Rating of the player's overall ability to "rock out" like a true rock star.
* Difficulty: Rating value of the difficulty level of the song. Easy songs get less points than hard songs.
For those of you not too familiar with Guitar Hero, imagine a DDR tournament that combined Freestyle and Technical into a single category, and scored your technical ability on an arbitrary 10-point scale. Bleh....

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:56 am

malictus wrote:For those of you not too familiar with Guitar Hero, imagine a DDR tournament that combined Freestyle and Technical into a single category, and scored your technical ability on an arbitrary 10-point scale. Bleh....
I've actually been to a tournament somewhat like that. To this day, I regard it as the worst tournament I've ever attended. Of course it was blended with even more ridiculousness. A tournament where you can literally buy your way back into the bracket can be described in one word: corrupt.

Ask me about it sometime if you ever want to see me go off into a full bore rant.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:26 am

Bleh, I hate tourney's that try and mix both. The idea must be that they want to increase 'fun', but it just ends up being a bunch of slop. Generally, the best tech players aren't the best freestylers, and vice versa. So what does that leave us? An all around mediocre player walking away with the grand prize.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:48 am

I don't hate the idea of a combined tournament. A mix of different skills (or non-skills) is what makes the DDR-A-Thon variety tournaments fun.

It's just that most of the time I've seen "blended" tournaments it's that the organizers simply don't know what they're doing. They would probably screw it up even if they were running a traditional tournament.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:40 pm

Ho wrote:I don't hate the idea of a combined tournament. A mix of different skills (or non-skills) is what makes the DDR-A-Thon variety tournaments fun.

It's just that most of the time I've seen "blended" tournaments it's that the organizers simply don't know what they're doing. They would probably screw it up even if they were running a traditional tournament.
True, I suppose if it were done properly it might work, but it still feels different than the variety tournament. Variety tournaments, in my eye, are meant to be fun for advanced players who want something new beyond freestyle and tech. I couldn't imagine a variety tournament for $1,000.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:30 pm

Ho wrote:I've actually been to a tournament somewhat like that. To this day, I regard it as the worst tournament I've ever attended.
the album title wrote:Time Out
Greenwood Park - Greenwood, IN
This would explain why............

ALSO, I remember seeing that tournament and remember an asian guy kicking ass...I wonder who that could be?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:49 pm

lgolem wrote:ALSO, I remember seeing that tournament and remember an asian guy kicking ass...I wonder who that could be?
If you're implying it was me, there were two divisions (I don't remember what they were...maybe singles and doubles?). I believe I placed in both, but I don't recall actually winning either of them.

Also, I'm fasian.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:36 pm

Ho wrote:
lgolem wrote:ALSO, I remember seeing that tournament and remember an asian guy kicking ass...I wonder who that could be?
If you're implying it was me, there were two divisions (I don't remember what they were...maybe singles and doubles?). I believe I placed in both, but I don't recall actually winning either of them.

Also, I'm fasian.
Normally when people throw that word around, it means fat-asian. At least in my circle.

Ho is just big boned is all.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:08 pm

Are you saying I'm a fat Ho? ;)

Interesting. I was definitely going for "fake asian".

I don't know about you, but I think I know more fake asians than fat ones.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:52 pm

Ho wrote:I think I know more fake asians than fat ones.
Most anime fans at my school are fat and fake asians.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:30 pm

Are you defining fake asians as actual asians who do not fit the stereotype for asian (i.e. me) or non-asian asian wannabes?

And since I'm derailing this topic so masterfully...

On topic: Why is a jewelry store having a Guitar Hero tournament anyway?

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:49 pm

Ho wrote:On topic: Why is a jewelry store having a Guitar Hero tournament anyway?
Preston Rocks... Guitar Hero... Rock music...

Oh, and everyone knows that Guitar Hero is soooo hip and cool. All the groove'n young dudes and their gals are keen on it. Like, the old dudes in marketing are soooo getting the next generation man!
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:06 pm

Ho wrote:Are you defining fake asians as actual asians who do not fit the stereotype for asian (i.e. me) or non-asian asian wannabes?
Non-asian asian wannabes.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:29 am

so basically with two people picking jordan expert;

if one of them goes apeshit and shows off like doing a headstand or something while playing, but bombs the song, they'll beat the other person unless the other person basically 5-stars the song.

(i.e. the person being flashy would get an auto-10 points on showing off, both would get the same points for difficulty of song, and if the other guy didn't 5 star his shit, he'd get owned.)