NX-Scape 2, September 15th

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:05 pm

i love how i'm the one talking to you and you keep arguing with katy like she's the only one that was thinking this at the tourney.

I'VE GOT A BREADSTICK FOR U SIR!

groovestats
<3 blackcat

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:19 pm

NX-Scape 2
Pump it Up NX Tournament

Date: September 15th

2990 East Third Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47401

Where in the mall: In the Great-X-Scape Arcade

Time: Free play at 10; qualifying starts around 12; tech tourney around 1ish; freestyle after tech tournament; King of the Hill after freestyle.

Tentative Division Lineup: Crazy Tech and King of the Hill, possible freestyle division pending on how many want it take place.

Prizes: Cash Prizes, maybe some other random prizes.

Entry Fee: $5 per division

Condition of the machine: Excellent condition, Fully Unlocked NX Machine

Freeplay: All day pretty much

More Info Per Division:

Freestyle

One song…Give us one fantastic show, keep it clean, no stripping please, judging is based upon, showmanship, technique, and crowd responce.

Tech/Crazy
- Triple Elimination with Qualifiers.

-Qualifier Method: The song will be drawn at random, everyone has to do it on crazy, then seeded by score.

-Triple Elimination: One random song out of the whole game played on crazy, winner goes on, the last person left faces the finalist of losers bracket, best 3 out of 5 drawn from the song final round song list, they have to win twice to go on to the finals.

- Best 2 out of 3 songs per match. Higher seed chooses song, Lower chooses pad side, and the order is switched for the next song. If a third song is reached, a random song will be drawn. Winner is determined by score, not PA. If the random song arrives at a tie/double FPC, another random song will be drawn.

- A song may only be picked once by the same person in the duration of the tournament.

- No mods other than speed mods are allowed.

- As the tournament progresses, the easier songs will be unavailable to be chosen both in the tournament as well as random tiebreakers.

Here is the breakdown of song difficulty elimination as it pertains to tournament round:

All songs
1st Round
2nd Round Winner
1st Round Losers
7's, 8's and 9’s are eliminated from play
3rd Round Winner
2nd Round Loser
10's and 11's are eliminated
3rd Round Loser
4th Round Winner
12's and 13's are eliminated

The rest of the tournament continues normally, with no further eliminations. The final couple rounds will be all level 14 and higher songs (songs with 1 or more skulls are understood to be over 14s), until the final 6 players left, and the finals, where Crazy song list will be played.

When the tournament reached the final six players, all tiebreakers will become remix/another step/full songs randomly chosen from the list at the end of this post

- The use of Bar will be allowed for the entire tournament this time around.

- The Finals will be a best 3 out of 5 Crazy round, with all songs randomly chosen from a select list. If a Remix or Full song is played, that song will account for 2 out of the 3 points needed for the round to the winner of the song.

King of the Hill
- Anyone whom has paid for another division is automatically eligible to play, although they don’t have to. Everyone will get a random seed, and the lowest two numbers will play each other on a randomly chosen Arcade Station song on Crazy. Winner will be determined by score; as soon as the song is over, the loser is eliminated, and person seeded one higher than the previous two players will get on the pad immediately afterwards. Another song is chosen at random. The winner is the last man/woman left on the machine at the end of the event.

Songlists

Remix/Another Step/Full Song Tiebreakers:
1. Treme-Vook of the War
2. Banya Classical
3. Deux Remix
4. Dignity [Full Version]
5. Canon D [Full Version]
6. Try To B.P.M. – Love is a Danger Zone
7. K Hip-Hop Mix
8. K-House Remix
9. Extravaganza [Another]
10. Final Audition 2 [Another]
11. Love is a Danger Zone [Another]
12. Solitary 2 [Another]
13. Witch Doctor [Another]
14. K-Pop Dance Remix Pop House Remix
15. Wi-Ex Doc-Va
16. Banya P-Classic
17. Chicago Club
18. U Inside My Dim Memory [Full]
19. Fire [Full]
20. Love is a Danger Zone 2 [Full]
21. Beethoven Virus [Another]
22. Dr. M [Another]
23. Bee [Another]
24. Shake It Up [Another]
25. Gun Rock [Another]

Crazy Finals:
1. Bullfighter’s Song
2. We Goin Fly
3. Fly
4. I’ll give you all my love
5. Gun Rock [Another]
6. Slam
7. Beat of the War 2
8. Witch Doctor
9. Witch Doctor #1
10. Moonlight
11. Phantom
12. Solitary 2
13. Pump Me Amadeus
14. N
15. Love is a Dangerzone
16. Bee
17. Beat of the War
18. Final Audition Episode 1
19. Hyun Jin Young Go
20. Fire [Full]
21. Love is a Dangerzone 2 [Full]
22. Canon D [Full]
23. Treme-Vook of the War
24. Solitary 2 [Another]
25. Hi Bi [Another]
26. Beethoven Virus [Another]
27. Witch Doctor #1 [Another]
28. Do you know that – Old School
29. Dr. M [Another]
30. Love is a Dangerzone 2 [Another]
It is RIGHT THERE IN THE RULES, Maybe you should actually read them before coming

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:24 pm

I'm not going to argue about this publicly. All I'm going to say is that it could've been a little better than it was.

If you wish to hear my full opinion of everything you may direct it to my PM. I refuse to flame this thread like the others.
lgolem wrote:It is RIGHT THERE IN THE RULES, Maybe you should actually read them before coming
Maybe I wanted to come to enjoy myself and see people that I have not seen in a while. Maybe next time I shouldn't come if you are going to make me feel unwelcome.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:30 pm

blackcat wrote:I refuse to flame this thread like the others.
FLAME PANDA SAYS U ALL MUST DIE LOLFMAO

groovestats
<3 blackcat

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:31 pm

you know, the reason it is not so casual is cause you are making it a bigger deal than it is, and since when did I say you were unwelcomed, I just said it is in the rules, no one has ever made complaints about it, and I am not going to change that rule either, it is staying to prevent people who can do the lower level songs from making it to the end because they can out pa someone on certain songs, this was a speed/crazy tournament, not a pa oriented one, the easier songs are eliminated to make it a challenge for those who come, you want it to be more casual, don't cause drama cause you don't agree with the rules

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:41 pm

I refuse to talk about this anymore publicly. Seriously. Call me or PM me. That's just how it has to be.

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:42 pm

lgolem wrote:it is staying to prevent people who can do the lower level songs from making it to the end because they can out pa someone on certain songs
We're talking about pump here. If you're worried about getting out-pa'd then there's something seriously wrong with your rhythm.

I'd agree that easier songs shouldn't be allowed.. but the line should be drawn at 7 or 8 footers.. NOT 14 FOOTERS

this argument got really boring about 6 posts ago. i've stated my opinion and i don't care to discuss this anymore
groovestats
<3 blackcat

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:08 pm

BigBadOrc wrote: 1) we're not talking about nationals, we're talking about a casual tournament with pump players from indiana who aren't that good. shammers got 3rd.
I did well on a 14. It is indeed a casual tournament, but it was also very clear what the rules are. When I saw a song coming up with skulls in the difficulty, I just accepted it - my opponent was going through the same misery, after all.

A tournament is only unfair if certain players aren't treated equally, and in this one, they were. Random notes from a bag.

That tourney made me want to start playing Pump. Thank you Jeremy, and sorry for slapping you so many times last night.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:17 pm

ShammerS wrote:...and sorry for slapping you so many times last night.
ehh...we were both drunk so it is acceptable then :wink:

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:33 pm

The point of that rule is to do a few things:
1) Make sure things stay challenging and fun as the tournament progresses and, presumably, people who can handle harder stuff are the only ones left
2) Prevent double FPCs

A 14 on pump is not really that difficult. It would roughly correspond to a hard 9 or easy 10 on DDR, something like Cartoon Heros or Sakura. Max 300 would probably be a draw between a 14 and a 15 on pump. The rating scale is NOT the same.

It really, really sucks to have a tie in the finals be decided by who managed to not get a great on One Love. That generally isn't any fun for those left in the running at that point. It's entirely anti-climcatic. That's why the rule exists. It's been in local pump tournaments for a very long time now. Jason and I both include such provisions in our rulesets, though we structure them slightly differently.

Now, you're free to question the ruleset, but this particular ruleset has been used SEVERAL times in the past with no problems, and I personally didn't see any problem this time either. If you get something utterly beyond your ability called on you, that's the way things go. If it's also beyond the abilities of your opponent, you both play and see who managed to slop through it better. Getting an F does NOT affect your score at all, unlike DDR and ITG. Hitting the bottom of the life gauge doesn't either. Either just keep playing an see who wins, or play around; have some fun, and, once again, see who wins. Both players are being held to the same standards.

If you really don't like the rules and feel things are unfair, don't show up. Feel free to hold your own tournament. Secure a venue, post rules and date/time, and your announcement will get stickied just like everybody else's.

All that said, feel free to discuss things, but please do not personally attack others.
Last edited by MonMotha on Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:34 pm

it is kind of blurry but still kind of cool, I just realized they are holding up the amount of fingers equal to the place in the tournament.

Oni-kun
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Oni-kun » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:24 pm

Jeremy I want to destroy you for just realizing that.

Besides the drama I was really happy to meet and catch up with people that I haven't met in ages. Even though at the ass-end of that tourny my stam went to shit it was still fun in a few ways. Perhaps it's just my recent free will that brought that desired effect...

Either way, I'm glad quite a few of you showed up. I hope that you guys still feel welcome enough to come down next time. No point in people poking one another about a silly game.

Btw, this is Stephen for those who are wondering. ^^;

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:12 pm

If you really don't like the rules and feel things are unfair, don't show up.
Exactly, it sucks that a combo break will pretty much guarantee a loss since score depends so much on combo. I don't like it, I think its a shitty way to run a tournament but the Pump community disagrees. So be it, I'll spend my time elsewhere, I got some great sleep on Saturday!

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:16 am

Hi! I wasn't at the tournament. I was in Colorado behind an art table being mistaken for a gay man. Oh what a fun, fun weekend I've had!

*goes off to remove the eye shadow*
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:29 am

Merk wrote:
If you really don't like the rules and feel things are unfair, don't show up.
Exactly, it sucks that a combo break will pretty much guarantee a loss since score depends so much on combo. I don't like it, I think its a shitty way to run a tournament but the Pump community disagrees. So be it, I'll spend my time elsewhere, I got some great sleep on Saturday!
I slept hardcore.