Moderator: Moderators

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:54 am

RIGHT NOW CHILDREN ARE IN AN AMOUNT OF SUFFERING YOU WILL NEVER FATHOM

SPARE A DOLLAR TO HELP?
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:14 am

Any more word on this event? The fall is fast approaching?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:34 am

ShammerS wrote:IU's library gives students the ability to print HUGE (read: 10 x 3') high quality, glossy-papered posters with any designs on them. If we come up with a banner design, plotting it out will be simple, and I'll gladly make that happen.
Pretty cheap too.

$10 per plot, graphics-quality, 36" wide, 54" long (glossy and matte finishes)

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:10 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Pretty cheap too.
For the same price, they'll go up to 3 wide by 10 feet in length. I know, because I printed a few as christmas presents, even with the glossy finish.

Here's hoping catching an onlooker's eye isn't a problem this year!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:21 am

ShammerS wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Pretty cheap too.
For the same price, they'll go up to 3 wide by 10 feet in length. I know, because I printed a few as christmas presents, even with the glossy finish.

Here's hoping catching an onlooker's eye isn't a problem this year!
Damn, that is a really good deal.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:01 am

blackcat wrote:Any more word on this event? The fall is fast approaching?
Me, Daniel, Jim, and Ho are trying to find a time to meet up and commince planning, every date drawn up so far either Jim or Daniel cannot be there, we may have to plan with me, ho and jim then tell Daniel about it later...I dunno, I seem to be having a hard time getting all the key people together

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:29 pm

lgolem wrote:
Me, Daniel, Jim, and Ho are trying to find a time to meet up and commince planning, every date drawn up so far either Jim or Daniel cannot be there, we may have to plan with me, ho and jim then tell Daniel about it later...I dunno, I seem to be having a hard time getting all the key people together
I understand...I was just curious if there was a specific date planned yet.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:56 pm

blackcat wrote:
lgolem wrote:
I understand...I was just curious if there was a specific date planned yet.
Simply put....no

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:38 am

To be completely honest, it'd be best if you could set an actual date ASAP. I know some people I've been talking to around here about it, but the response I always get is "Well, if I knew a date, I'd know if I could help or not."

So, that's my advice for now, get an actual date set up. Work out all the tiny details later, but the date is definitely the biggest part, once that is set up, most of us people who aren't helping with the planning can convince other people to come, or try to convince some small businesses, or wherever we work to submit prizes/donations.

Speaking of, I know it's an odd suggestion, but wherever we work part-time, if everyone could try to get a small donation from wherever you work, either actual money donations for you to bring down (Personally I can't do this, we do a huge fund raiser for St. Jude's around the same time) or small prizes(what I usually try to get) just to give away to people who raise a lot of money or something.

Every little bit helps. I know a lot of us don't personally have the money to donate a lot on our own, but it really only takes a few minutes and a little bit of effort to talk to other people about possibly showing up, or getting prizes from where you work, even if they say no, you're simply out a few minutes of your time, but the word will get around, and they may talk to some other people they know about it all.

Sam/Chad it'd be absolutely wonderful if you could get some ginormous sign like that made up. Especially if, like someone said, we could get a couple very tall poles and a setup to actually place it ABOVE the machine(s) in the middle of the mall (is a double-sided poster possible?), it'd definitely get a lot of attention that way, because people from VERY far away would be able to read it, see the crowd, and come in and ask for information.

Lastly, I think one thing we ought to get straight this year, is I know a lot of the players don't like to speak to people they don't know, but if random onlookers walk up and start to watch, don't give them the "cold shoulder" be open to talking to them. I know too many of us DDR/PIU players have gotten used to ignoring other people when they come up and watch. Under normal circumstances, that's perfectly fine, but this is a huge charity event, talk to the random people about the event, and be nice, you'd be surprised how much money people would be willing to donate if they were treated nicely instead of basically ignored.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:44 am

The date will come, we have to get together and plan it that is the hardest part and as I have said several times, there is NO guarantee that this will acutally happen, we just need to find a time for all 4 of us to get together and plan everything out. It is in the planning phase, the original idea was just a massive tourney and I thought I would peoples opinion and then it ballooned out to become a possible DAT6 so just wait and we will post after we know the details

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:18 am

CgSquall wrote: Lastly, I think one thing we ought to get straight this year, is I know a lot of the players don't like to speak to people they don't know, but if random onlookers walk up and start to watch, don't give them the "cold shoulder" be open to talking to them. I know too many of us DDR/PIU players have gotten used to ignoring other people when they come up and watch. Under normal circumstances, that's perfectly fine, but this is a huge charity event, talk to the random people about the event, and be nice, you'd be surprised how much money people would be willing to donate if they were treated nicely instead of basically ignored.
Listen to the man. That sort of kindness attitude is what will bring in the most donations in a place like a mall, bar none. If we can get people to be informative and kind, the entire event will be an accomplishment to be proud of.

One thing to note, Jeremy, is that you may try to piece together a 'staff' of sorts - people to actively pursue donations. You might put certain friendly people on duty whose sole job is to walk around visitors, explaining what the event is and why we're here, and eventually asking for donations. I for one would be perfectly willing to do this as I'm sure many others would, since the biggest thing I regretted about DAT5 was the lack of understanding of the big picture, both within and outside of the tournaments.

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:12 pm

Bump.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:14 pm

Don't bump it, we will activate the DAT6 Topic about a month or 2 before it takes place, until that day no more details will be released.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:19 pm

whoa whoa whoa fall? does this mean... it might happen from September 20th to October 1st?

p.s. I also have no idea what this is. can someone inform me?

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:08 am

lgolem wrote:Don't bump it, we will activate the DAT6 Topic about a month or 2 before it takes place, until that day no more details will be released.
Yea, don't bump. Discussion about an upcoming event is not allowed until the event is in the final planning process.

Even if that event has happened 5 times before.

/urnotamod