DDR-A-THON 6

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:48 am

If you want higher attendance, and thus higher proceeds, get Pump. It's enormously popular and not having it will only hurt the event.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:34 am

ShammerS wrote:If you want higher attendance, and thus higher proceeds, get Pump. It's enormously popular and not having it will only hurt the event.
Actually not gathering donations is what will hurt the proceeds brought in from the event, you guys have had successful DATs before (before my time on the music game scene) with just DDR and a private no passing by traffic venue. Last year you guys wanted other games on top of having pump you wanted Beatmania, Pop N Music, GH and all the other games there at the same time, the fact of the matter is we over did our welcome with 2 dance machines, we can NEVER have an event with 2 ever again, we had way to many complaints, it is not just Daniel's desision, it is something that the mall has told us, because the machines were used in a silly volume war before the freestyle tourney because people were to concerend about the game and not about the Charity.

I think a total of 4 people will not show because of no pump, IF THAT, it won't hurt our attendance, especially with the other games thrown in, I am almost possitive our attendance will be the same. And like I said, in order to get more money for Riley we need to gather more donations.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:26 pm

lgolem wrote:Actually not gathering donations is what will hurt the proceeds brought in from the event, you guys have had successful DATs before (before my time on the music game scene) with just DDR and a private no passing by traffic venue. Last year you guys wanted other games on top of having pump you wanted Beatmania, Pop N Music, GH and all the other games there at the same time, the fact of the matter is we over did our welcome with 2 dance machines, we can NEVER have an event with 2 ever again, we had way to many complaints, it is not just Daniel's desision, it is something that the mall has told us, because the machines were used in a silly volume war before the freestyle tourney because people were to concerend about the game and not about the Charity.

I think a total of 4 people will not show because of no pump, IF THAT, it won't hurt our attendance, especially with the other games thrown in, I am almost possitive our attendance will be the same. And like I said, in order to get more money for Riley we need to gather more donations.
I understand that you aren't the one who can make the final decision about the ability to get both Pump and DDR available. However, I do want to point out that all 6 DDR-A-Thons that we've had so far had 2 dance machines available on freeplay for the entire event, so I do think there might be an expectation of that for future events. Yes, having the other games available in the same area might make a bit of difference, but I imagine the wait times will still be a little crazy. One of my biggest frustrations from last year was all the complaints I got about people breaking in line and not following the rules when it came to time on the machine, and I worry about that being worse with only a single machine.

Also, if there was a complaint about volume with 2 dance machines, won't that complaint be worse with one machine, AND Guitar Hero/Beatmania/PopN etc. all going on at the same time?

However, I also want to point out the lgolem is entirely correct about donations. That is, afterall the whole point of a DDR-A-Thon. Last year, we (including myself) didn't do nearly enough to solicit doncations from the passersby, and I think we need to make a much bigger effort to do so this year.

In the end, I will of course support the event no matter how it turns out. :D

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:48 pm

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the freestyle event by far the most effective pull for donations at DAT5? The thing is, if there's only the SuperNova machine, and no Pump, that will definately limit the freestyles. I know that I, for one, can't freestyle worth shit on DDR, but I can guarantee a decent show if you've got Pump there, even if I have to just rehash my Hot routine. I'm sure several other Pump players will agree with this point.

Also, there's an easy way to fix the problem with the volume war. At the beginning of the day, set up the volume on both machines so that they're both balanced. After that, just lock the access panels. If for some reason you need to access the controls inside, one of the people in charge (lgolem?) can unlock it and make the adjustment. It only takes a second to turn a key.

So, yeah, please, PLEASE get Pump out there! Not only will it draw some more people to the event, but it will also help increase donations, and, as Jim said, it will help with lines.

Now, I understand that the mall has told you they didn't like you having the two machines out there before, but is there any way we could convince them otherwise? Perhaps make an agreement about the volume?
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Intermezzo
Standard
Standard

Post by Intermezzo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:17 am

Wow, all those games? I'd be more excited if I were a better IIDX/Pop'n/Guitar Hero player, but the thought of a Melee tournament there is fantastic.

Also, you should press to get Pump. I have to agree that there's no real way it could hurt the event, with the exception of the whole volume war thing. Maybe put the machines a little bit further apart?

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:28 am

Intermezzo wrote:Also, you should press to get Pump.
Ok the mall has agreed to it, we would just have to watch the volume, but still it is Daniel's machine, he owns it all himself. Also I worked really hard to get 2 pump it up tourneys and one DDRaThon, so we are lucky to get this many out of him. If there is no Pump we will live, and we will have the other games to aliviate the line for DDR.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:02 am

since there will be pump, i'll be there
Team KIMO represent!

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:02 pm

Dyme wrote:since there will be pump, i'll be there
you mean if there will be pump, daniel still says no, and we are getting together to talk this out soon, Pump will be brought up, if Daniel says no, we will have to respect his decision.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:22 pm

i mean theres ALOT of ppl that would like to have pump rather than ddr. might as well change the name to PIU-a-thon 1 and dump ddr for pump :P
Team KIMO represent!

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:06 pm

Dyme wrote:i mean theres ALOT of ppl that would like to have pump rather than ddr. might as well change the name to PIU-a-thon 1 and dump ddr for pump :P
Not true.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:43 pm

Watching the volume is not that hard usually. The issue seems to arise because (rightfully) people want the machine on which an event is being held to be louder, but then never turn it back down after the event is over. Just set the volumes, and lock the doors. When an event comes up, bump the volume of the other one down slightly and the one on which the event is being held up just a little. After the event, return the volume to their original levels. If you can balance the volumes of two machines sitting right next to each other (not even back to back) in a basement, then you can balance them back to back in an atrium with no nearby walls for reflections.

Of course, I would still love to absolutely crank it for freestyle. That attracts more onlookers, which yields more donations.

As far as lots of games, believe me, I'd love to see it to, and that's what my tournament idea was all about. If you can get Pump out there, it might be possible to do this, and I'd start working things out. Without Pump, it's just not worth trying.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:40 pm

Dyme wrote:i mean theres ALOT of ppl that would like to have pump rather than ddr. might as well change the name to PIU-a-thon 1 and dump ddr for pump :P
Name more than 5 people. (Sorry Wolfen)

Of course I'd like to see both, but dropping DDR would be a terrible idea. The back to back machines worked out fantastic.

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:25 pm

...ANOTHER ONE!?!?!?

Aww geez. I guess I have to show.

:mrgreen:
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:22 am

In complete honesty, I'd prefer Pump over DDR myself.

But out of tradition, and to see some people I havn't seen in about a year now, I'll show up.

...Hard to believe it's been almost exactly two years since I played Pump for the first time(on my 18th birthday)....

We need to get the whole old crew together for just a cook-out or something before we get split up soon guys....

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:55 pm

CgSquall wrote:In complete honesty, I'd prefer Pump over DDR myself.

But out of tradition, and to see some people I havn't seen in about a year now, I'll show up.

...Hard to believe it's been almost exactly two years since I played Pump for the first time(on my 18th birthday)....

We need to get the whole old crew together for just a cook-out or something before we get split up soon guys....
As long as it ain't in Plainfield, I'd be game.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.