R21 Tourney

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

JP_Sasuke17
Standard
Standard

R21 Tourney

Post by JP_Sasuke17 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:21 am

Would anyone like to have a R21 tournament? It might be pretty fun, though it would take a decent amount of time to put together with file selection and all. I was thinking about seeing if we could have one this summer, probably at Rascals, but I haven't checked on the pad condition of their ITG machine, but it might be fun, though I would need some help putting it together. Also haven't talked to the Rascals crew either so this is more of a "wow I wonder if we could..." kind of thing.
I just love the way Dancing on Arrows make me feel, especially when I pass out from this song....

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Wed May 16, 2007 5:50 pm

The only way I could see it being fair is if there was a pre-selected, pre-approved list of custom files that everyone already knew about and had a chance to practice.

JP_Sasuke17
Standard
Standard

Post by JP_Sasuke17 » Wed May 16, 2007 7:10 pm

I had already thought about that, I figured it would be easiest to make all song selections, then pack them up and host them on filefront or something similar for people to download an practice.
I just love the way Dancing on Arrows make me feel, especially when I pass out from this song....

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Wed May 16, 2007 8:31 pm

whats r21 sorry i havent played for a bit
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed May 16, 2007 9:03 pm

hascoolnickname wrote:whats r21 sorry i havent played for a bit
I believe R21 is a version of ITG2 where you can play custom songs that are on your flash drive.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu May 17, 2007 6:31 am

danc1005 wrote:The only way I could see it being fair is if there was a pre-selected, pre-approved list of custom files that everyone already knew about and had a chance to practice.
The opposite would also work:

Brand new, custom songs that no one gets a chance to play until the tournament.

Of course that requires quite a bit more effort to actually pull off. We did that on a very limited scale for the Westside Rhythm Rumble. The qualifier was an edit to AM-3P that was unveiled at the event.

JP_Sasuke17
Standard
Standard

Post by JP_Sasuke17 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:04 am

Ho wrote:
danc1005 wrote:The only way I could see it being fair is if there was a pre-selected, pre-approved list of custom files that everyone already knew about and had a chance to practice.

Of course that requires quite a bit more effort to actually pull off. We did that on a very limited scale for the Westside Rhythm Rumble. The qualifier was an edit to AM-3P that was unveiled at the event.
I was also considering this as an option as well, since it would really show just how much skill the participants had without practice.

I was thinking, though this is just a thought, that there could be three different song categories.

1- The easier songs (7-9 itg footers) for the first round or two.
2- 10-12ish itg songs for the later rounds
3- A group of 10-15 songs (around the nightmare level in PIU) for the finals.
***on a side note I have a simfile for Phantom by Banya from PIU that would be AWESOME to play in the finals. (although i haven't had a second opinion on it yet.)

I still haven't had a chance to talk to the staff over at Rascals, but I will hopefully be able to get over there some time this week. I am hoping that someone on the forums (such as Ho or someone) might be able to help set this up and plan it out. I guess it's pretty obvious that if we did get this going and that the second option of unveiling songs at the tourney was chosen that anyone that actually helped with the file selection may be exempt from the tournament. Anyways, I hope this will be a possibility.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:43 pm

Ho wrote:

Yeah, the only problem is that anyone involved with making the files wouldn't be allowed to play (as JP said).

Also, with determining songs with the rating, you would have to have some panel or something approve the foot rating, because I could make a hard-ass KB file and call it a 10.

JP_Sasuke17
Standard
Standard

Post by JP_Sasuke17 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:59 pm

danc1005 wrote:
Ho wrote:

Yeah, the only problem is that anyone involved with making the files wouldn't be allowed to play (as JP said).

Also, with determining songs with the rating, you would have to have some panel or something approve the foot rating, because I could make a hard-ass KB file and call it a 10.

Well, on that note, I've already got some people that can help with the rating. They have already put an pretty successful R21 tournament in California. I've been talking to them and all.

Also, I don't think EVERY file would have to be completely new, since no one would know just what the files would be. I think that it would probably be easier and a little more fun if we have a combination of files that were already released by good step file artists combined with newly made sims to make the list of songs. Mostly because there would be a much more varied style of simfile in the tournament as well as since the songs wouldn't be unveiled and so the fact of just what songs are in the tournament would be inrelevant anyways.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu May 17, 2007 10:20 pm

Since I won't be competing you want me to put together a play list?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

JP_Sasuke17
Standard
Standard

Post by JP_Sasuke17 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:31 pm

SoDeepPolaris wrote:Since I won't be competing you want me to put together a play list?

That would be very helpful. I still need to go to Rascals to try and get an okay for this before I actually ask people to actually commit to doing stuff. I should be there either friday or saturday.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu May 17, 2007 10:43 pm

It might be better to do a committee of some sorts for selection so one person doesn't take all the heat for a song pick or something.

But I'd be more than happy to put together a pack.

JP_Sasuke17
Standard
Standard

Post by JP_Sasuke17 » Fri May 18, 2007 6:43 am

That is actually a good idea. I'm pretty sure that SoDeepPolaris is willing to sign on for the commitee along with myself, so I guess we would need maybe 1 or 2 more people to judge the simfiles for the tourney.

---->SoDeepPolaris:
I also have some simfiles that I could send you to take a look at. I'll pack some of them up and PM you the link. I think the easiest way to seperate any accepted files into just 3 categories (Early Rounds, Mid. rounds, Final Choices) and then afterward we could adjust the foot ratings to match the songs if needed.

Also--> Does anyone have any connections to the staff at Rascals to help that might be able to help me get a yes out of them, and also I was thinking about making this event partialy for charity.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri May 18, 2007 10:30 am

Sounds good. Mediafire and Megaupload are always good choices for upping files.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri May 18, 2007 6:53 pm

I could give some input on what files I think would be good in a tournament/what I like.