World Record Idea: VENUE SECURED!

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:09 pm

Double-post for the sake of updating.

I haven't had the chance to get hold of Mr. Frey, mainly because he owns the place and works only the hours I'm in school. I was told that he will be there in person on Thursday from 5-7, and also when I'm off on my half day Friday.

Perhaps I can get to him in person then, or something.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:43 pm

Triple-post, for the sake of updating. Consider it something like a signature Jeff-combo.

I'm taking almost all the consideration I had for Family Fun, wadding it in a ball, and throwing it into the trash can. After calling to negotiate a membership for personal use there, it turns out I'm really not willing to pay the $150 upfront fee that comes with a membership. With that in mind, I'm almost certain that the powers that be at F3 wouldn't want me doing this if I was not a member there. I'm sure that they'd be a great host, it's just that the financial river isn't flowing right now, and so I'm officially placing F3 in the backup plan folder.

So, now I have two choices: raise around $280 for membership until the event...

OR...

*turns around to face the giant empire of doom known as Shaffer*

I called That Fun Place a second time and talked to Michael again. He had talked to Shaffer once since our last discussion, and it suprised me to hear that Shaffer seemed very open towards the idea of me trying this. Michael himself told me again that TFP is still very interested as well to host the event, and that he would love to see something like this occur.

So, now I find myself with not only a potential host, but a potential machine/finance supplier?!? It's a Christmas miracle.

If I can really set footing during these next few weeks of winter break, then I can probably set some serious foundation for this project to occur. I've had oodles of people come up to me and volunteer to "stay the whole time," but that seems easy for something 6 months in advance, for something that gets boring to watch after 20 minutes.

So, how can I be helped? The next thing I need that could possibly be one of the more important things: witnesses. According to Guinness, I need a witness on-hand at all times that is "skilled in the field of the attempt." This is the place to look, no doubt.

So, if you are willing to volunteer, and meet these requirements:

-Skilled in DDR/PIU/ITG/Whatever
-Over 21 years of age, according to guidelines
-In "good standing" with the community. For example, you can't have an arrest warrant, probation, or any other legal issue stemming to a questionable profile.
-Willing to make the trip to Greenfield, IN. (15 miles SE of Indianapolis)
-Willing to work at least a 2-hour shift

...then I want you to get a hold of me if you are interested. I need you to PM me your name, phone number, and the length of time you may be interested in volunteering as an "official witness."

It's 6 months away, so if you can't make it, cool. I just need a quick list of people who are nonetheless interested, because I know there will be cancellations in the future.

Thanks a bunch, and I'll keep updating.
-Jeff

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:04 am

As the new headline reads, I have 95% secured a venue for my attempt.

I say 95% because I have no idea what can happen to a business in five months. There can be all sorts of things like neighboring competition, burglary, disaster, economic recession, etc. to make That Fun Place suddenly have to think about it again.

But now for the 95% that is secure, and that really makes me feel excited for this attempt. I went into That Fun Place yesterday and talked to the manager Michael, again. He told me that he's talked with Shaffer again, and Shaffer is willing to put the machine on free play! Freakin' a.

However, they said they would do it on the condition that we do it for charity and "thank" them on documents and such. This brings me to my next question for all of you: what charity should I do for this attempt? Michael suggested something local to Greenfield that most everyone can relate to, and the first thing that came to mind was Riley Hospital. I know the DAT raises a lot of money for Riley, and I would really like to see that happen, but if you can think of another local charity, that would be great.

Also, datewise, we are still looking at a Friday-through-Sunday in June. That way, I can spend non-school days training, sleeping, and getting ready for it, then a few days of crashing afterwards. I also picked the summer so a lot of the college kids at here at IndyDDR.com could stop by and support the cause/witness or donate money, etc.

The last thing I have to say is another one of the most important things I've been saying. I posted on it last time and got no responses. I need witnesses for this thing to even get going, and so far I have none from this site, the likeliest of all places. Please get a hold of me if you are interested, via PM, AIM, or anything, if you meet these conditions:

-Skilled in DDR/PIU/ITG/Whatever
-Over 21 years of age, according to guidelines
-In "good standing" with the community. For example, you can't have an arrest warrant, probation, or any other legal issue stemming to a questionable profile.
-Willing to make the trip to Greenfield, IN. (10 miles SE of Indianapolis)
-Willing to work at least a 2-hour shift

I really need these witnesses, or Guinness will not take my word for the attempt, regardless of how long I manage to stay on. Besides, if you volunteer, you might get a cookie or something...who knows.

So, all-in-all, great news from Shaffer/Michael, better news for Riley, and hopefully I can get some of you to volunteer.

Thanks a bunch, and please reply, I'm getting lonely in this thread.
-Jeff

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:32 am

Haha man I would do it, but I'm not willing to go to Greenfield and I'm only 16.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:31 pm

dance1005 wrote:Haha man I would do it, but I'm not willing to go to Greenfield and I'm only 16.
Get a ride here. :P

That's exciting new Jeff. If only I was 21..
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:50 pm

It all depends on date and time. If I can, I will.

RyogAkari
Standard
Standard

Post by RyogAkari » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:32 pm

well hell,

Tell you what. I'll be a backup venue for you if you run into a jam. You'll be playing in a garage, but there is plenty of space to watch plus the outside space is large and the house is huge as well (and all of the guys like to throw parties so they are used to the crowds).

You'll have to make it down to Louisville if you need to but just consider it a security blanket if you need it.

Let me know if I can help ^_^ Just PM me.

Also, there will be plenty of witnesses down here if you need them ^-^

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:35 pm

RyogAkari wrote:well hell,

Tell you what. I'll be a backup venue for you if you run into a jam. You'll be playing in a garage, but there is plenty of space to watch plus the outside space is large and the house is huge as well (and all of the guys like to throw parties so they are used to the crowds).

You'll have to make it down to Louisville if you need to but just consider it a security blanket if you need it.

Let me know if I can help ^_^ Just PM me.

Also, there will be plenty of witnesses down here if you need them ^-^
you make it sound like you own a dedicab?! :shock:

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:47 pm

He owns a DDR machine, yes.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:00 pm

Ahh. DDR Machine. I forgot this was the "dance game" world record. Not only DDR. :roll:

RyogAkari
Standard
Standard

Post by RyogAkari » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:24 pm

What's wrong with DDR? He could play any mix he wants, just like at ho's house.

Anyway, it's a back up plan if things go screwy (like they sometimes do). I don't want to see him plan out a lot of things and then have the world come crashing down on him if Schaffer changes their minds completely or the rules.

Anyway, aren't you supposed to have liscensed physicians monitor your health throughout the course of the even in 8 hour shifts? I'm pretty sure that was a requirement when I originally applied to Guinness to do the world record 3 years back. Just wanted to go ahead and ask now because that would be one of your toughest things to find. My mother is an RN, but it would take a hell of a lot of convincing from you to get her and for 36 hours you are going to need 3 rotating physicians for the event and she is just one.

Keep me apprised as to how things progress!

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:45 pm

RyogAkari wrote:What's wrong with DDR? He could play any mix he wants, just like at ho's house.

Anyway, it's a back up plan if things go screwy (like they sometimes do). I don't want to see him plan out a lot of things and then have the world come crashing down on him if Schaffer changes their minds completely or the rules.

Anyway, aren't you supposed to have liscensed physicians monitor your health throughout the course of the even in 8 hour shifts? I'm pretty sure that was a requirement when I originally applied to Guinness to do the world record 3 years back. Just wanted to go ahead and ask now because that would be one of your toughest things to find. My mother is an RN, but it would take a hell of a lot of convincing from you to get her and for 36 hours you are going to need 3 rotating physicians for the event and she is just one.

Keep me apprised as to how things progress!
I can't recall that right now; from the original news article posted at the beginning of this thread, apparently all that was necessary was no songs failed, and only select breaks allowed. That "8 hour" thing might refer to the 15 minute break allowed every 8 hours.

I do not recall a health checkup at all, but mainly because I haven't applied to Guinness yet. It says that "I must take all responsibility to ensure my personal health," but if they make me take medical exams, I guess that's another obstacle to add...I'll still try and get past it.

[Edit: Here is that news link article again...no reference to medical health...hit me up on AIM sometime, Ryo. I want to talk about this with you, since you've tried it before.]
http://www.ddrfreak.com/newpress/Bend_com.htm

RyogAkari
Standard
Standard

Post by RyogAkari » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13 pm

I have no internet at home and I sneak a peak at the internet during work so no can do for the AIM thing. I'm just recalling what I believe was in place when I found out the information. I never had a venue so I never attempted it. =/

It was things like that that drove me to buy a DDR machine and set it up in Louisville for the years that I did (no tournament events back then, no venues for this sort of thing, no free play party days, etc etc).

I believe you also have to have a physical a month or so before your attempt to give the Go Ahead. Contact Guinness ASAP to find out the details and be sure. I could be wrong, but my wife remembers these things needing to be in place as well. It could be as simple as they've changed it since then. Be sure to find out though!

Anyway, feel free to PM me about anything I can help you with. if you end up deciding you'd like to switch the venue to my place if it would be less hassle that's fine too. I can't help but think that it needed to be in a "public place" or "open to the public" or something like that as well though. Anyway, rules can change so be sure to find out the finer details as soon as you can.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:58 pm

RyogAkari wrote: I believe you also have to have a physical a month or so before your attempt to give the Go Ahead. Contact Guinness ASAP to find out the details and be sure. I could be wrong, but my wife remembers these things needing to be in place as well. It could be as simple as they've changed it since then. Be sure to find out though!
Alright, sure thing. I read through the Guinness Record Application last night, apparently this is what I got from it:

-Guinness may offer medical advice at their discretion as to what they would like me to do.
-However, I have the right to turn down their medical advice for any reason, undertaking anything my own way.
-BUT, for this reason, Guiness is not responisble for me getting hurt, killed, or becoming a skilled doctor in dumbassery. I'll be sure to check with them, though.

However, it would NOT be a bad idea to get a physical or something a few days before. I've been looking into local businesses for sponsorships, and maybe my family doctor would take 15 minutes of his time? If I do NEED a checkup by an RN every eight hours, then I have a friend whose mother is an RN, and I'm sure she'd be glad to come check on me every 8 hours.

Right now, I have an acute fear that for some reason the time it takes to end the last song and start a new one might take longer than 30 seconds. For this, I'm wondering if In the Groove 2 arcade has an "event mode" like DDR, where it resets you to the song select screen after every song...that would help a LOT if anyone has the advice.

Thanks again guys, I'll keep posted; this is really beginning to roll.
-Jeff

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Just so you know, even DDR event mode drops you back to the title screen. Event mode on DDR disables failing entirely (though you'll still get an E if your life bar drops off the bottom, you will be allowed to continue for all your songs), disables extra stages, puts the machine on free play, and removes the entire attract sequence, taking you straight back to the title screen after a set ends. While in event mode, you can also reset the machine back to the title screen at any time by pressing all three buttons (select left, start, and select right) at the same time. All timers are also disabled in event mode. The number of songs in a set is still determined by the songs/credit setting in the operator menu.

Pump It Up event mode is one song, stage break off, free play, go straight back to the title screen when done, no menu timers, though the grade screen still only stays up for a few seconds, much to the dismay of many tournament runners.

If I had to guess, ITG's event mode probably works more like DDR CS event mode, being based on Stepmania, as this is how event mode in Stepmania works. However, Roxor may have decided to modify this behavior to emulate DDR event mode.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.