World Record Idea: VENUE SECURED!

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

World Record Idea: VENUE SECURED!

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:58 pm

I recall reading the world record for most consecutive hours of DDR playing is 28, or something like that. The only qualifications were a 30-second break between songs, you couldn't fail the songs (no specified difficulty), and only a 5 minute break every 8 hours was allowed.

Thus, I thought to myself, I have a whole summer with nothing to do. Knowing that many of the posters here work at or frequent arcades, does anyone know of a venue where I might be able to attempt this? It would require several judges up all night, as well as the arcade to be open all night, and probably someone from the news to clarify it.

I'd be more than willing to try it, but I want to try and raise money as well, so if I fail then at least some good will come out of it.

Anybody know where to start or have any advice?
Last edited by Jeff Jeff Revolution on Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:40 pm

I have no idea, but i think it sounds awsome ^_^

You should try to AAA as many lights as possible!
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:43 pm

Good luck.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:53 pm

I think my biggest problem is the stamina factor. The last thing I want to have happen is go for a Heavy, fail it, and then I'm over X hours into the competition. When I do this, odds are I will do a lot of Light songs, just for that reason. It would suck to be 22 hours in and drop a song. *Cue video of Vanderjagt missing field goal against Steelers in 2006*

Does anyone know for sure of the World Record? It might be worth it to try and go overboard by a few hours, to keep the record for a few months, as it has been broken a handful of times.

Some places I'm considering on holding the event would be at Rascal's Fun Zone, That Fun Place, or Gameworks.

I'm just getting this all on the table now, 7 or so months ahead, so I can have all the arrangements penciled in and whatnot.

[Edit: Record as of 3 years ago was 37 or so hours...guh]
http://www.ddrfreak.com/newpress/Bend_com.htm

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:32 pm

In all honesty, if you're serious about this record, I'd be VERY willing to join you if it was for charity.

Plus having two people play could be some sort of freakish competition, see who can get more AAA's or AA's on the light songs before we pass out.

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:39 am

Yeh having more people would be awesome. If it was at TFP, (with ITG) I'd def come, at least drop by, or try to stay for the event, or even participate.

Do the rules say if you fail a song, then you fail the competition? I was reading that news article and they made it seem the guys friend failed the song then he was disqualified from continuing.
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:56 pm

yes, you can't fail the song.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:44 pm

(To answer CgSquall's question, yes. I am VERY serious about this. It's all I thought about today.)

Hmm...more people? That's an interesting thought.

Originally, I had planned going it alone, but now that other people want to as well, I don't know. With at least 3 people interested...and only 2 pads...then I don't know what exactly to say. It might have to be that scenario where "if I invite one person, I'll have to invite everyone."

Luckily, we have 7 months to discuss this. CgSquall, Craig; I'd be glad to have you aboard, but I'll have to consider how many people can do it, if anyone besides myself. I was trying a definite set goal, that goal being 40 hours, so schedule also comes into play.

Think about how long 40 hours are. That's one whole day...plus two 8 hour shifts on top of that.

We can discuss if anyone wants to "join" me later, but at the very least, it would rock if forumites or DDRers came by to support me. Those 40 hours will be an eternity, so someone to talk to during a Light stage would rule. At very least, I know for a fact that 2 adult witnesses are needed at all times, so any volunteers?

The next steps for me involve contacting the Guinness Book of World Records. Apparently, if I talk to them, they'll send me a letter with everything they need to see/things I need to do during that time.

Don't think I've ruled you out from joining me; it's just the "if I have to invite one person" rule. I'd love for any other form of support, though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[Edit]
I just got done submitting an attempt approval to the Guinness Book of World Records website. Supposedly, it will be 1-3 days before I get any response back, but I linked them the above article, and kinda left it "very roughly drawn", and will probably need some revising at a later date, especially with the event 7 months away.

Something I'm going to work on now, just for further clarification, I'm going to get into contact with my local arcades and see who in their right mind would be willing to host such an event; it would require them be open for 3 days straight and have 2 or so people "qualified in the field" hang out to watch the attempt.

I'm calling Rascal's, That Fun Place, maybe even Gameworks. I'll keep everyone posted. ^_^

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:57 pm

I propose that we hold the "serious" version of this competition:

Pump It Up, Nightmare Only, difficulty 13 and above, can't choose the same song until you've played 5 others, stage break off, same rules otherwise. Go for as long as you can (which is going to be a damn lot short of 37 hours!).

Oh, you didn't want to die in the process? Nevermind...
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:17 pm

I called That Fun Place about 1 hour ago. I talked to Michael, the manager, and he sounded somewhat interested in the idea. He said he'd propose it, mainly because it involves the long hours, and dealing with...

...SHAFFER!!! *Cue Dark Side music*

I forgot that my largest enemy might be the owners of the said machine...
Last edited by Jeff Jeff Revolution on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:22 pm

MonMotha wrote:I propose that we hold the "serious" version of this competition:

Pump It Up, Nightmare Only, difficulty 13 and above, can't choose the same song until you've played 5 others, stage break off, same rules otherwise. Go for as long as you can (which is going to be a damn lot short of 37 hours!).
Careful now, you might give Jason some ideas... :roll:
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:38 pm

That actually a good point. Ho, couldn't you host something like this?

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:01 pm

Well, I'm sure he could, but he'd have a mass of people in his basement for 40+ hours.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:06 pm

But his house would be the venue listed for the record. That'd be cool right?

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:10 pm

not if it was your house
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."