World Record Idea: VENUE SECURED!

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:That actually a good point. Ho, couldn't you host something like this?
Even so, I'd rather the event be in a public arcade. The rules say I need 2 witnesses at all times-one skilled in the area and another of high ranking in the community. (Judge, pastor, politician...) Also, I then need 2 members of the media to cover it, so cramming all this in a basement would seem crazy.

PLUS! I wanted to make raise some money for charity or something, so doing it in Ho's basement won't raise a lot of money for Riley or anything.

However...if worst came to ABSOLUTE worst, we could probably pull the record off, only.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:29 pm

I talked to my my boss(Michael) at work today about it. He did seem interested, the only real problem is Shaffer. If you present it Shaffer the thing holding them back is, "Well that'll be 2-3 days of no profit from the machine."

I truly would be content with just hanging out for hours on end, making energy drink runs, food, that good shtuff. Actually, I'd probably be the one to video tape portions of the event and interweb it. :]
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:50 pm

hascoolnickname wrote:not if it was your house
If I had a machine, I'd do it. Sure Ho can do what he wants, just an idea.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:00 am

Do I have the equipment to host? Sure. But logistically, I don't think it's a very good choice for reasons JJR already stated and the fact that I think it's relatively rare for me to even be in my house for a continuous 40 hour stretch.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:00 am

I wish you all the best with this. This idea has come up a few times in the past here and there in the IndyDDR community, but it's never gotten off the ground beyond the idea stage.

The hardest part will be finding a venue willing to do it --- definitely.

Obviously if it becomes a charity event and Riley gets involved, I'm more than happy to help out in any way I can...

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:55 pm

If you find a place to host it, we could all go around asking for pledge donations.

Not just like "20 dolalrs if he does it" but like walk-a-thon donations, 2 dollars for every hour it continues, 50 cents for every hour it continues, something like that.

It doesn't sound like much, but get 20 people pledging a dollar an hour, and if you go 40 hours, right there is 800 dollars. So you could easily get a LOT of charity money if you got donations like that.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:55 pm

Hum, DDR-A-Thon 5.5?
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:56 pm

MonMotha wrote:Hum, DDR-A-Ton
Fixed
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:58 pm

I got an email back from Guinness today!!!1(one)[shift]

Turns out, they've accepted my "application" for an attempt. Apparently, they've sent me a PDF file for all the fine print, and if I can meet their demands, it's a go. I just need to find that venue...but how fate works...

My church group, Deep 6 Youth, uses the Family Fun and Fitness center in Indianapolis/Greenfield as our temporary meeting place. The owner, Jeff Frey, lends us the building for a day, so we can worship. If I were to talk to him, I'm sure he'd let me use the building for a weekend, maybe even when the premise is under business...why?

...they have a Pump machine on constant freeplay...privately owned by them...

http://www.familyfunfit.com/open.html

The only requirement is, I have to be a member of the club, or a guest of a visitor. ($60 for 3 months...) He's a nice guy, and seeing how he's lent favors in the past, (and how his full name is my first name, almost), I could easily see him allowing us to use his facility.

The only problem? I'm not great at Pump, but I'm sure he'd also be cool enough to allow me free sessions or something to practice, as he's a big supporter of health improvement, and he'd probably like to see someone try something like this. I'm going to call him, and see what he can work out. Not only would he provide a venue, machine, and/or publicity (spectators using the gym), he's practically got a vault of energy drinks and protein bars.

I'll check in later, but the support sounds like a wave of awesomeness. I'd love for people to even talk to me during the Light songs...just so I keep my sanity...

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:36 pm

Pump is fairly easy to learn. You just have to get use to steping on "Anti" ddr arrows.
Warning incoming game!

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:51 pm

I just called Family Fun and Fitness (FFF or F3 for simplicity), and Jeff Frey wasn't available at the time. I'll get back to him as soon as I can tomorrow after school.

According to the rulebook/guidelines, I will need at least 2 witnesses on hand at all times.
-1 of them must be "in good standing" with the public, such as a judge, police officer, town official, newspaper editor...etc.
-The other witness must be "experienced" in this field, and thus any serious player on this site over 18 can volunteer here. I'll need lots.

HOWEVER...according to the rules, the witnesses cannot "have any close affiliation" with me, nor can they help organize the event. This basically divides anyone who wants to help into 2 categories: those who want to sit and watch me play for a few hour shifts, and those who want to be around for any general usage, such as drinks, snacks, etc.

Craig, according to the rules, videotaping does count as a form of evidence, so I may have you do A LOT of that.

I know it's still a long way off, but it's just good to get it out of the way.
Last edited by Jeff Jeff Revolution on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:59 pm

Bionix wrote:Pump is fairly easy to learn. You just have to get use to steping on "Anti" ddr arrows.
Yeah its easy to learn until you start doing crossovers, runs, 3 jump, nightmares, and center button jackhammers :roll:

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:16 pm

thats what she said
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Cbav
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Cbav » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:35 pm

Jeeze, I've been wanting to get a membership to F3 for a while now, so I can get started playing some PIU as well. The only problem has been time, work and finals atm, and after Christmas i leave for a week to Florida on a band trip.

I'd be more than willing to record. My digital camera on high quality can get about 15 minutes, and lower 30 minutes. So either I could make a rediculous amount of trips home to unload my memory card onto my computer, or take short hourly segments giving updates. I'm excited for this.
Can get ahold of me @spookyxcraig

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:12 pm

I tried calling Jeff Frey after school today, but because I had to make a stop on the way home, he had just left seconds before my call.

I have to wait until Monday before trying again. Also Craig, my sister just bought a digital video camera; she may be cool enough to let us use that, but I'm not sure.