Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Guitar Hero tournament - Bloomington. IN, October 28

Post by malictus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:36 am

Yes, I'm posting about something OTHER than the DDR-A-Thon :lol:

There will be a Guitar Hero tournament at Best Buy in Bloomington, IN on Saturday, October 28th. There will be a division for each difficulty level, and the event starts at 11AM.

That's all I really know about it; I'm not affiliated with the tournament at all; I just happened to be in there and saw the information about it so I thought I'd pass this along.

I don't know anything about rules, but if I find anything out I'll post it here.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:27 pm

Ugh I got knocked out in the first round; I'm completely unused to the lag that occurs when using a big-screen TV :cry:

However, my daughter Paige won first in the Easy division and scored a poster and T-shirt; GO PAIGE! :D

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:30 pm

Drat, I totally forgot about this event. Not that I'd have made it though since I was out of town this weekend. Still... DRAT!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:48 pm

I really, REALLY hope TV manufacturers soon realize that all the latency they're introducing due to scalers, non-sensical filters, etc. on these digital TVs is just plain unacceptable for many uses of a TV. Sure they're fine for watching TV, but anything interactive will suffer. Video games in multiple genres (music, obvioiusly, but also fighters and shooters) have major problems, and light gun based games are often completely broken, even on CRT based sets. In some ways, fighters are worse than music games since you can't anticipate and account for the latency like you can in a music game.

Heck, people have trouble just keeping the audio synced from external sources like DVD players as it is as some TVs have latency on the order of half a second or more! Down with crappy high latency digital TVs! Some nicer sets do have a "gaming mode" which helps, but usually doesn't completely eliminate the latency. On some types of sets (DLP in particular), the latency is unavoidable due to the way the TV works, but on CRT based systems, it just stems from the manufacturer being cheap and not wanting to make the set multi-mode (and rather scaling everything to 1080i or whatever it runs at).

The vast majority of the IIDX machines I played on in Japan had replacement monitors. Most were RP CRT and had good latency, but one had a plasma on it. Even the "regular locals" seemed to acknowledge that it was desynced, and I'm sure they'd gotten used to it.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.