Elkhart Tournament UPDATED

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

DiscoBobbyPARANOiA
Standard
Standard

Post by DiscoBobbyPARANOiA » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:14 pm

Let me just say this: Most players who play competetively (trying to AAA things and whatnot) use the bar. If they don't, it's only because they want to look better.

I've been playing ddr for about 5 years now, all of which I've used the bar. Hell, I STILL use the bar for Cutie Chaser Morning Mix, and I can AAA it every time I play it. It's a 5 footer. I think it would be appropriate to let people use the bar as they see fit. If people gripe because using the bar is easier, and they got beat because they tried it barless, mayhap they should start using it themselves, it's not like the bar's only there during tournaments. It's there, it's been there, and I don't think it should be a factor in the tournament. If you want to use it, great. If not, fine.

I don't want to sound like and asshole, but if we can't use the bar, I'll seriously consider not going. I think I said this in my other post but, constantly trying to remember not to touch the bar horribly lowers my PA.

Titan2781
Light
Light

Post by Titan2781 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:54 am

I think I have come to a decision on the bar issue. The bar CAN be used on 10 footers and 9 footers. If you can't do 'lets groove tonight' on heavy without the bar, wtf are you doing playing heavy. WILL THAT BE ACCEPTABLE??

Titan2781
Light
Light

Post by Titan2781 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:39 am

DiscoBobbyPARANOiA wrote:Let me just say this: Most players who play competetively (trying to AAA things and whatnot) use the bar. If they don't, it's only because they want to look better.

I've been playing ddr for about 5 years now, all of which I've used the bar. Hell, I STILL use the bar for Cutie Chaser Morning Mix, and I can AAA it every time I play it. It's a 5 footer. I think it would be appropriate to let people use the bar as they see fit. If people gripe because using the bar is easier, and they got beat because they tried it barless, mayhap they should start using it themselves, it's not like the bar's only there during tournaments. It's there, it's been there, and I don't think it should be a factor in the tournament. If you want to use it, great. If not, fine.

I don't want to sound like and asshole, but if we can't use the bar, I'll seriously consider not going. I think I said this in my other post but, constantly trying to remember not to touch the bar horribly lowers my PA.
A LOT of ppl CAN'T use the bar, some ppl find it harder cuz you have to have your body leaned back and they can't find a center of gravity, or they are too short (for example the little girl that comes to every tournament) , I know for me, using the bar is more strenuous but whatever. You keep talkin bout 'ITG ITG, this isn't ITG and if you developed an addiction to the bar so bad that you use it on 5 FOOTERS.... I dunno.... ITG is 12 footers 13 footers... This is dinky little DDR that mostly is 8 or 9 footers, a cake walk for ITG expert players like you, coty...

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:46 pm

I do significantly worse when I use the bar, however I think that the bar should be permitted. I mean, if I was forced to use the bar, I wouldn't be playing at the top of my ability. So why should you force people to play below their capability?

Titan2781
Light
Light

Post by Titan2781 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:12 pm

Touché you have a point.. Which I will seriously keep in mind. However, with what you said about the bar, can it not also be said about playing on solo? Some ppl can NOT play with solo, howevev some ppl do MUCH better with it. Is it fair to let solo go and mess up one person, or not let it go and mess up the other?

Also I would like to say, and I'm not trying to be rude at all, the very first post I have on this thread is 'keith isn't running the tourny, this is my show. He knows nothing' so why would you call and complain to him about it, coty? If you have a concern its me you have to go through... He and I have talked a lot about the tourny and he says 'this is your show, you make the decisions, donnie. Obviously there are ppl that will go either way on this subject, so whatever you lay down as the rules, you have my full support' so I will say it again so everyone on here sees it lol IF you have any concerns Plz Talk to me about it. In a private message, in this thread, or if you really think its of dire importance, you can call my work in hopes I'm working, which usually I am lol.

I want what the majority of the PARTICIPANTS in this tournament want, cuz I want them to be happy and have fun, not be all deadly serious...

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:35 pm

Just letting everybody know, there is actually a reasonable chance that I will be able to go. I'll also ask DDRmaster if he would like to come. If I come, I'd really like to meet all the South Bend/Mishawaka people.

Also, I think using the bar should be permitted. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my scores with or without using the bars on easier songs, but it A) keeps me from getting tired as fast, B) helps me be more stable and move around more fluidly, and C) enables me to do significantly better on harder/tiring songs.

EDIT: Just found out that I have second-round tennis sectionals on Saturday at 10 AM. Now, this doesn't completely knock me out of coming. There are three possibilities:
1) We lose first round and don't even play Saturday, in which case I would come. This would probably only happen if we drew Carroll first round.
2) We do play Saturday, but we win/lose quickly and I still have time to drive an hour and a half to make it to the tournament (any way you could change it to like 2 or 3 o' clock?). This will probably be unlikely to happen.
3) We do play Saturday, and the match goes for longer than what would let me get to the tournament. This would prevent me from going.

I'd say there's about a 25-35% chance that I'll still get to go.

BeastieBoys4Life
Standard
Standard

Post by BeastieBoys4Life » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:19 am

This is for Donnie I just wanted to know if I can sign up the day of the tourny because I have no ride out there..till the 30th..but I'll try to get a ride up there..the day before

elliottsmithfan5: im being the AAA machine that i am..lol
Str8outa574: oh, yea, that gets the ladies.
Str8outa574: lemme tell ya.
Str8outa574: ive had like 50 girls ask me
Str8outa574: "whose that big burly stud on the DDR machine gettin flags and AAA's?"
Str8outa574: I'm like "that's big nick... big in more ways than one"
elliottsmithfan5: lmao!
elliottsmithfan5: are you for real?
Str8outa574: no, but, i see em lookin..
elliottsmithfan5: damn you
Str8outa574: Gotcha bitch!

150 AAA's and counting more

DiscoBobbyPARANOiA
Standard
Standard

Post by DiscoBobbyPARANOiA » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:52 am

This is what I would suggest:

Let people use the bar if they want. Some do better with it; some do worse with it.

Solo can be used if agreed on by both people. If not, then solo isn't used.

It's fair to everyone, there will be no complaining from anyone in the tournament, and that's how most tournaments work anyways.

If you still won't allow it.. then it just seems like you don't want us to use it because you don't, and that would kinda suck. I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm just saying.. I don't understand why it can't be the player's choice to use the bar or not when it doesn't affect the other person no matter what they choose to do (use it or not).

Also, nick started a poll. Look at that.

DiscoBobbyPARANOiA
Standard
Standard

Post by DiscoBobbyPARANOiA » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:01 am

I was at Concord today and I talked to Donnie (Sp?) and he said the bar was going to be allowed, so there's that.

Math
Standard
Standard

Post by Math » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:43 am

dance1005 wrote: EDIT: Just found out that I have second-round tennis sectionals on Saturday at 10 AM. Now, this doesn't completely knock me out of coming. There are three possibilities:
1) We lose first round and don't even play Saturday, in which case I would come. This would probably only happen if we drew Carroll first round.
2) We do play Saturday, but we win/lose quickly and I still have time to drive an hour and a half to make it to the tournament (any way you could change it to like 2 or 3 o' clock?). This will probably be unlikely to happen.
3) We do play Saturday, and the match goes for longer than what would let me get to the tournament. This would prevent me from going.

Concerning possibility 2, the standard tournament is going to be held first. So, my guess is the Heavy tourny won't start until some time after 2 o'clock.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:02 pm

Math wrote:
dance1005 wrote: EDIT: Just found out that I have second-round tennis sectionals on Saturday at 10 AM. Now, this doesn't completely knock me out of coming. There are three possibilities:

Concerning possibility 2, the standard tournament is going to be held first. So, my guess is the Heavy tourny won't start until some time after 2 o'clock.
That's good news. Also, I thought of another possibility, and that possibility is that it would rain. Now, unless there's like a torrential downpour they probably won't postpone the match, just wait for the courts to dry, so I wouldn't be able to leave. But if there IS a lot of water, they will likely put it off for another day. Although, considering AccuWeather's Forecast for Saturday, I doubt that extreme rainfall will occur. However, I'm going to raise the possibility that I will be able to go to 30-40%.

Math
Standard
Standard

Post by Math » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:43 am

dance1005 wrote:
That's good news. Also, I thought of another possibility, and that possibility is that it would rain. Now, unless there's like a torrential downpour they probably won't postpone the match, just wait for the courts to dry, so I wouldn't be able to leave. But if there IS a lot of water, they will likely put it off for another day. Although, considering AccuWeather's Forecast for Saturday, I doubt that extreme rainfall will occur. However, I'm going to raise the possibility that I will be able to go to 30-40%.
What about the possibility where a fat, bloated Opra staggers onto your court and refuses to budge? Then makes everybody leave so she can read "Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me the Teacher I Never Had" in peace and quite.

Fuck! she's Opera. she can do that.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:25 pm

Well, if I heard my coach right and read the schedule he gave us right, the match on Saturday actually starts at 9:00 AM, which means I have a whopping 3 1/2 hours (giving me 1 1/2 hours to get there by 2:00 PM) to finish our matches, which is a VERY LONG TIME. Now, I hope it doesn't rain and we start and finish right on schedule. I'll raise the probability to 50-60%. Who all is going to be there besides Math and BB4L?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:47 pm

Dyme wrote:thinking that some1 is better because they dont use the bar is completely screwed up or maybe u just are. who knows
I think we can all agree that the way DDR was meant to be played does not involve 'teaning' on the bar.

Titan2781
Light
Light

Post by Titan2781 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:09 pm

For the sake of stopping the constant/vexing complaints, yes the bar can be used, I'm thinking about using the same rule with using the bar as the rule for solo but I don't know. The prizes are as follows (and I know some are lame but its better than tokens I'd think):

$50 gift card to Electronic Botique

Mario bros domino set (in a tin mario lunchbox)

Nascar Nextel Cup Monopoly

DDR Extreme 2 soundtrack sampler

DDR supernova soundtrack (2 available)

Namco classics for Nintendo 64 (has digdug, pacman ms.pacman, poll position, etc)

If desired I'm sure we could give tokens in place of a prize but it would vary on what place you placed and what level you played at (we currently have more standard level players signed up than heavy)

I will let standard go first for sure so the person with the tennis thing has a chance to make it. Also there will be a doubles tourny and a freestyle IF WE HAVE ENOUGH PPL SIGN UP, which means I will have to pull more prizes from the magical rectum known as the arcade closet. I'd love to have a freestyle just to 'wow' other customers and ppl in the hall. If yall wanted pizza and threw money together I think we can get a 10% discount. That's not killer but if it was me I'd like to keep my dime on the dollar lol. It has to be a group order though as far as I can tell.. I will contact the manager there for more details. We will have the 'party table' out to sit at. Also we have fans on the ddr machine again. They aren't tornado creating, but when your sweaty you can feel the difference... I hope I covered everything, JUST REMEMBER THIS IS JUST AS MUCH FOR FUN AS IT IS FOR THE COMPETITION :) come out to play or to support your friends and watch.