Blazin' The Floor 4 (July 15th, 2006) (small update 6/24)

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

onULego
Light
Light

Blazin' The Floor 4 (July 15th, 2006) (small update 6/24)

Post by onULego » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:17 pm

Some of these details might be changed before the day of the tournament, but for the most part, this is all set in stone.

Blazin' The Floor 4

Address: 4121 Shelbyville Rd. Louisville, Kentucky
Phone Number: 502.895.3462 (If you are going to be late, call and ask for Jesse or Uno.)
Date: July 15th, 2006
Pricing: $12
Divisions: Heavy and Standard (standard will be held if there's 8 or more interested players). Brackets will be random seeding.
Start Time: 2 PM. Registration starts at 12 noon.
Elimination Style Tournament (Heavy will be double, standard will be single)
Money Distribution: (Again, to be determined, but more than likely will be...)
1st: 30%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 10%

Scoring & Song information
-(P x 2) + Greats + (O.K. x 2) - Miss
-If players cannot decided on pad side or song choice during a match we will use a coin flip. Note that I do not put faith in my own coin flipping skills, so I expect to lose lots of coins in this endeavor.
-Players will play a 2-3 song set with the winning player being awarded a point/win. The first player to reach 2 points/wins advances to the next round. (Normal Speak: Best two out of three)
-A set consists of a song picked by each player, plus a random for the third, should it be necessary.
-In the event of a tie, neither player is awarded a point.
-Little, Freeze Arrow off, and turn mods are illegal.
-Solo is allowed if both players agree
-Any other mod is fair game.
-Bar has stated that any use of it is consensual, and no rape shall be declared. (or in normal speak, Bar is legal.)
-You can opt to forfeit during the match, just be aware that you will be a dropping a point and blah blah blah blah....
-Song can only be picked once during the tournament. Any songs used for the mercy are exempt and have the potential to be used again. (see below)

-Pad misses and dropped freezes (Mercy Rule):
Before this tournament, the pad will be adjusted and fixed to the best of our abilities. However, as we all know, pad stuff happens. Therefore, for this situation, I'm going to try something new. Before the tournament, each player will be required to fill out an index card. On it, list three songs of your choice. They can be your best songs, worst songs, random songs, etc. Your pick. During the tournament, if a match result is in question due to pad misses and/or dropped freezes, the original winning player can either opt to let the pad errors stand and go to the next song, or allow a mercy.

A mercy, which can only be permitted by the winning player, will render the song a tie. No points will be awarded and the match will go to the next song. The mercy will come into play on the random/3rd song. Rather than go to a random, a song will be chosen from the original winning player's index card to be played. This song will count as a point, and a set can be won like this.

A mercy CAN ONLY be allowed if pad errors honestly effected the outcome of a match. In other words, don't bother asking for a mercy because your opponent AAA'd a song and you got a great. Moreso, each player in the losing position (i.e. hit with pad misses, ng's, etc.) can only depend on this twice during the entire tournament, so as not to allow abuse of it. This idea will be addressed in better detail on the day of the tournament.

In the event that this idea backfires early on, pad misses will stand and be counted as misses.

Basic Ground Rules:
1. Be respectful. Don't be a dick/bitch/asshole to anyone just because you can. This goes for everyone, be it tournament participants, spectators, or visitors.
2. If you have any problems, ask me and I'll do what I can to help. If you choose the more abrasive route of blowing up at me instead, you will be DQ'ed and thrown out. :)
3. Have Fun :)
4. Yes Casey, I swear we'll play fair this time, just like we did last time. :)

If anyone has any questions, PM Me or IM me (AIM SN = UnoLego), I'll probably do my best to answer them.
Last edited by onULego on Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

evilpoptart
Standard
Standard

Post by evilpoptart » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:58 pm

If all goes well me and my freind should be there.
play at the whiteland rascals

My Groovestats(I suck): http://groovestats.com/index.php?page=p ... 17&typeid=

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:16 am

Two things: What player in their right mind, after they just won a match, would bother granting the losing player a "mercy". Maybe I'm not getting exactly how it works, but I can't see it ever being used.
And one more thing, you shouldn't do random seeding. You're gonna end up having the two best players play each other first round, which is dumb, especially...oh, wait nvm it's double elim. Well, still...you should have a qualifying round to determine seeds.
Oh, and I totally LOLed at your bar-rape comment. :P

-Dan

onULego
Light
Light

Post by onULego » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:29 pm

dance1005 wrote:Two things: What player in their right mind, after they just won a match, would bother granting the losing player a "mercy". Maybe I'm not getting exactly how it works, but I can't see it ever being used.
And one more thing, you shouldn't do random seeding. You're gonna end up having the two best players play each other first round, which is dumb, especially...oh, wait nvm it's double elim. Well, still...you should have a qualifying round to determine seeds.
Oh, and I totally LOLed at your bar-rape comment. :P

-Dan
To answer all of this...

#1. I've actually seen the situation happen before, and it just came to me to try it. I'm prepared to adjust around assuming the idea goes to hell. The whole reason the mercy idea came up was when a player would lose a match on grounds of pad. I felt this idea would just be interesting to try. Again, if I find it ineffective or faulty, we'll go to the simple "pad miss = miss" logic.
#2. It's a matter of time, straight out. Qualifiers require more time as opposed to just jumping right in and getting on with it. Plus, I think it's interesting when the two best players are forced to play right off the bat (should it happen.). It provides that element of surprise that anything could happen.

Hope that helps, if at all.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:40 am

Random seeding doesn't matter as much if you're doing double elimination. If the best two players meet in the first round, the one eliminated to the losers bracket could still meet the other again in the final championship round between the two brackets.

Since you're running Heavy as double elim, I don't see any problem. I notice that Standard is set for single elim, but that's probably a less "serious" tourney and I doubt anyone will really complain.

But please, please, please...if you're going to run double elim, be sure to look up how to do it CORRECTLY! I hardly ever see it done right, and the mistakes I've seen often make the format almost completely worthless. The losers bracket IS NOT a standard bracket. Take a look at this: http://www.foosballheaven.com/misc/foosbrackets.html for an idea of how double elimination is supposed to work.

IxI I skate IxI
Standard
Standard

Post by IxI I skate IxI » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:43 am

If I was ever that good to play in a tournament, then I would.
I might come to watch.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:22 am

If this was anywhere near me, I would go. Unfortunately, it's like 1 1/2 states away. So, no.

-Dan

Karl
Standard
Standard

Post by Karl » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:25 pm

DOUBLES????
The internet is serious buisness, kids.

evilpoptart
Standard
Standard

Post by evilpoptart » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:10 am

yeah, me and a freind are going to be there.
my first tournament
(YAY!!!)

UnLiMiTeDmAxX
Standard
Standard

Post by UnLiMiTeDmAxX » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:16 am

Been a while since I been to the Loo, so count me in. I miss tournaments, and I hardly have time to try and plan one here in Fort Wayne.
ImageImage
ImageImage

evilpoptart
Standard
Standard

Post by evilpoptart » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:36 pm

I think me and my freind were the only people from Indy that were there :(

It was my first tournament and it was awesome. Won my first match and lost my second, did the same in the losers bracket. Alot more people were there then I expected.