[Unofficial Poll] Freestyling in Mishawaka, anyone?

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

[Unofficial Poll] Freestyling in Mishawaka, anyone?

Post by the gattchoon » Fri May 19, 2006 12:59 am

I'm just curious. I haven't watched all the videos in the archive, but I notice there aren't many per tournament, then again I know Ho can't video everything.

So, out of curiousity, how many people would be interested in entering and/or watching a freestyle tournament in Mishawaka? I know the location is not the greatest, but then again if I were to arrange a tournament, it would have to be nearby, and the nearest thing to me is Megaplay, which doesn't seem to bad inside and the owner is nice, I guess.

I'm more curious as to how many people would actually join a freestyle tournament down here? And when would be most convenient? Summer months? December? Spring Break?

It wouldn't be anytime soon, since I'd have to normally get to know Indiana/IndyDDR better, but just to get the general idea for myself.

I'd have to get a decent amount of freestylers to be willing, and it's possible to have a PA and FS competition in one day, too. So... give me your thoughts.

Discuss!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri May 19, 2006 9:08 am

It'd a bit of a hike for most of this forum's population, but I'd be game (of course).

As for the number of videos per tournament, I have many more than what is online. If I videotape a tournament, I generally try to record all of the performances.

Most of those videos are pretty old at this point, and at the time that they were posted I was on a different host with much stricter storage and bandwidth limits. So I tended to pick and choose only a few. I have more space and bandwidth available now after the relaunch, but I just haven't taken the time to encode a bunch of old videos that may never get watched anyway.

I do have quite a few newer ones that I'm working on now that I can hopefully get finished up soon. My intent is to post more than I have in the past...perhaps all of them. I have also considered creating a DVD compilation of older material. (I have produced DVDs in the past for the Underground Get Down tournament and DDR-A-Thon 2.)

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri May 19, 2006 3:34 pm

I would definitely be interested. I may not be able to enter if it's too soon, but I imagine you'd need a fairly long window for organizing it, anyway.

And on top of that, many of our college-age members are going home (and many of our highschool-age members are going away) for the summer.

So I vote for early fall.

BTW: Is there supposed to be a PHP poll attached to this topic that isn't showing up for me, or am I just being overly-literal with my title interpretation?

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Fri May 19, 2006 10:46 pm

I am always game for freestlye, just to keep it going here in IN.
Warning incoming game!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat May 20, 2006 3:31 pm

I would love to see a freestyle-only event. I just fear that we wouldn't have enough participation to make much of an event out of it. I honestly can't remember EVER having more than about 10 people enter any single freestyle competition in Indiana.

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Sat May 20, 2006 3:34 pm

Ho wrote:I would love to see a freestyle-only event. I just fear that we wouldn't have enough participation to make much of an event out of it. I honestly can't remember EVER having more than about 10 people enter any single freestyle competition in Indiana.
Well, I wouldn't be in it, though I can always do exhibition. If I am the one to run it, I would only be a judge. The prize, then, should be super appealing. =P

Though... I don't know what that would be. ^^;;;;

LOL.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat May 20, 2006 3:38 pm

I'd also love to see an outdoor event. I notice a lot of the Cali tournaments seem to be outdoors...under a tent. This strikes me as cool for some reason, and I always wanted to be a part of one. And for the particularly large tournaments we've had (we've managed to have a few from time to time), this would be great purely from a space available standpoint.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sat May 20, 2006 9:31 pm

Ho wrote:I'd also love to see an outdoor event. I notice a lot of the Cali tournaments seem to be outdoors...under a tent. This strikes me as cool for some reason, and I always wanted to be a part of one. And for the particularly large tournaments we've had (we've managed to have a few from time to time), this would be great purely from a space available standpoint.
Lol, for some reason that tent thing conjured an image of a DDR machine in like a small two-person tent out in the wilderness somewhere...that would be cool.

-Dan

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Sat May 20, 2006 10:08 pm

Ho wrote:I'd also love to see an outdoor event. I notice a lot of the Cali tournaments seem to be outdoors...under a tent. This strikes me as cool for some reason, and I always wanted to be a part of one. And for the particularly large tournaments we've had (we've managed to have a few from time to time), this would be great purely from a space available standpoint.
Yes, the tent had it's advantages and disadvantes. Of course, we probably all would've liked to go without the tent, but since we start early afternoon outside (for space), the sun is glaring off the screen, so people can't see it clearly (if they did not memorize the arrows). But then, disadvantages come to people who are filming and don't have an up-close and personal view... the tent tends to cut off some parts of the freestyle (or freestyler) when at a certain angle, etc. =(

But oh well... if I did hold a FS tourney at Megaplay, I don't think I could convince them to take it outside, since there is no "outside" for it (since, the location of the videos I provided with tents were generally golflands, so the mini-golf course was spacious) and Megaplay is big enough inside to hold a FS tourney, especially since I don't think it would attract as many people to FS as the tournaments on the videos I provided.

Err, let me bite my tongue. I would LOVE to see that many people at a FS tournament here, especially if I held one. =)

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun May 21, 2006 5:42 pm

Keep in mind that California doesn't have weird Indiana weather
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Sun May 21, 2006 7:28 pm

hascoolnickname wrote:Keep in mind that California doesn't have weird Indiana weather
Sadly, I love it.

1. I like snow. Never got it in California.
2. Fall is freaking amazing. I never got the real taste of pretty color changing leaves in CA.
3. I don't have ANY spring allergies in Indiana, as opposed to getting knocked out by two doses of Benadryl in California and not being able to breathe. =\
4. The humidity here as opposed to dry heat in CA (where I'm from) actually helps my skin allergies (I have eczema).

So... I love it. I have my 100% valid reasons. =P