June 8th, 2006

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Kasey@DDRKokomo
Light
Light

June 8th, 2006

Post by Kasey@DDRKokomo » Thu May 18, 2006 1:45 pm

DDRKokomo is hosting a Tournament on June 8, 2006. Everything is finalized and ready to go. If you would wish to join the tournament or require more information please click HERE to visit our tournament site. We will also have a tournament on December 11, 2006. More information will become available for that when it gets closer.

Kasey@DDRKokomo
DDRKokomo Manager/ Founder

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Thu May 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Two things:

1) Edit the thread topic to include "Kokomo" somewhere.

2) This has to be the vaguest set of tournament rules I've ever read. "No Sandbagging" - how will that be determined, exactly? "No mod changing is allowed" - huh? Do you mean that you must use the same speed mod on all songs? "All songs are PREDETERMINED" - by who or what, and where's the song list?

It also seems odd in a couple of ways - the rules imply it's single elimination, but that's not stated in those terms anywhere, and the profanity rule (any profanity = DQ) seems a little harsh - you might want to make that discretionary for the officials. What mix is the Raceway's machine? That's not specified anywhere.

Sorry the preceding sounds so harsh - I think it's really cool that you're having a tournament in Kokomo (especially at an arcade located at "409 Arrow Street" - that made me LOL), but the rules on that site put the fear of something into me.

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Fri May 19, 2006 1:59 am

This reeks of the Muncie DDR tourney...except I don't think any good people/veterans are gonna venture out there to win it.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri May 19, 2006 4:25 am

The MuncieDDR tournament was very underwhelming to be quite honest. Most of the Muncie regulars didn't even play and the person who ran MuncieDDR was a flake who let that group die rather than pass on the reins to somebody who was still in the area. The truth is that unless there is a large following, a DDR group in a town under 10,000 people usually doesn't work.
Last edited by Amp Divorax on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Fri May 19, 2006 1:17 pm

Kokomo is not under 10,000 people, is it?

I don't think this is about whether or not their group can work. Yes, Kokomo's a relatively DDR-deprived town, but they certainly seem to have some level of determination if they're talking about running tourneys.

That said, I do think they might be well advised to review some rules from other tourneys and think about revising theirs.

UnLiMiTeDmAxX
Standard
Standard

Post by UnLiMiTeDmAxX » Fri May 19, 2006 4:03 pm

No one will come to a tournament with predetermined songs. That has to be the gayest rule that comes along with a ddr tournament. At least have the songs be all random, if anything, or limit 10 footers til the last 2 rounds if that's what the less skilled PA players are concerned about.

Also, what's up with this whole thing of buying a minimum of $5 in tokens. So what happens if you dont use all those tokens? I'll want to be reimbursed for the unused tokens or "I'm cracken skulls." (what movie is that???)

Muncie tourney sucked, and from what I'm getting so far, this tourney is following the same guidelines.

Not trying to be rude, just being honest, and others will agree, just like the last dicussion of a Kokomo tourney.

Seriously, $15 for a tournament where you have to spend more than that just for the drive there. What attracts ppl to tournies, besides getting together and hanging out, is the prizes. You want to put Kokomo on the map for DDR? So tell me what I can win. I'm not saying it has to be money for more ppl to attend, because I will go to this if it's something worth winning or at least attempting to win. I wont go for a gift certificate to walmart.

Overall, your rules are pretty vague and it's pricy. I know what my first sentence says but I will want to come to this by knowing what's at stake, because surprisingly, there are more ppl for heavy than I thought before looking at the list.

So please answer these for me...
1. What are the prizes?
2. Will 10 footers ever be used during this tournament?
3. Is this single or double elimination?
ImageImage
ImageImage

the gattchoon
Standard
Standard

Post by the gattchoon » Fri May 19, 2006 6:29 pm

UnLiMiTeDmAxX wrote:No one will come to a tournament with predetermined songs. That has to be the gayest rule that comes along with a ddr tournament.
I want to assume predetermined songs means there are certain songs that can and cannot be used. I don't know.

Anyway, my brother held a PA/score tournament a few years ago which was very successful. I joined, I liked it, did pretty well for not playing as much. What he did, was he made a long list of songs. Some of these songs had mods on them. Thus, this was a predetermined list. When two players came up, he flipped a coin; the winning player picked a number from 1 to [whatever number] and the number the player picked was the number of the song on the list the two had to play. Of course, they haven't/can't/don't know the songlist. Only my brother did.

Again, you don't have to AA/AAA or whatever the song, all you had to do was pass it, and the player with more Perfects won.

It was a good tournament and there were plenty of people there. It was somewhat random (to the players) since they didn't know what song they were coming into, and it was pretty funny actually. Then again, that was the Bay Area in California, and there were a ton of famed score-attack players. ^^;
Last edited by the gattchoon on Fri May 19, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XeroCi
Standard
Standard

Post by XeroCi » Fri May 19, 2006 8:31 pm

The token thing can't be helped.. if us and the workers had it our way, we'd put it on free play and it would just be $10, but the Owner says Absolutly not.

So if you don't use the tokens, they work at the following places:
ALL PUTT-PUTT ARCADES
Rascals

Or you could stick around a few hours after the tourney and play a few rounds before you head back if you do come.

Oh yeah, as far as I know, the people who are running this arn't trying to put us on the map, we're just doing a tournament for people who want to have fun. You guys don't need to get technical with it. If it sounds fun, come, if it doesn't, don't. Simple.

You arn't allowed to see the songlist. A selected number is assigned to each section on the ladder (afaik), and that group plays those songs. And if Kasey does the one he is running later this year right, he'll do all the songs random.

Then again, I'm competing, so I'm not allowed to know much more than that. E-mail Kasey if you need to know more.
Owner/Operator/Leader of DDRKokomo. Assistant Leader of DDRKokomo: Arrow Stompers.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri May 19, 2006 8:41 pm

Except that it is ILLEGAL to use tokens bought at one establishment at another (the exception being regional/national coporate arcades like Namco, and even they don't particularly like it).

Just because it fits doesn't mean you're supposed to use it. In fact, some places will confiscate and not return "foreign" tokens (Laser Flash has done this in the past, apparently).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Sat May 20, 2006 12:18 am

So...if $5 is 25 tokens, and its 3 tokens per play...logic says that it would take 8 rounds to play out the tourney(assuming no tie-breakers needed).

8 rounds is a long time...why not just have people buy one game at a time? And when they lose they don't have to buy any more.

Oh yeah, and arcades are businesses too, I'm not gonna pay Kokomo Raceway to screw over a Putt Putt, thats dumb as hell.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sat May 20, 2006 9:34 am

TaQa wrote:8 rounds is a long time...why not just have people buy one game at a time? And when they lose they don't have to buy any more.
Yeah, I'm not really following this $5 in tokens thing. If the arcade isn't giving you any special cooperation, you don't have an agreement with them that you need to fulfill... so why not just let people buy their own tokens as they go?

XeroCi
Standard
Standard

Post by XeroCi » Sat May 20, 2006 11:05 pm

Yeah, but the owner said each participant has to purchase $5 in tokens, or the event isn't happening. It's not our rule, and we'd really like this to happen, we already have 30 people signed up who really want to do it. Its not like anyone else around Indiana gets off their lazy asses and does a tournament anyway, so why complain.

And its not 8 rounds, I don't believe, but whats required will be done. Hell, no one has a problem with it here.

Once again, this is more for people in Kokomo. if you don't want to waste gas money, and pay a fee that will probably equal your prize money if you won, and don't find just playing in a tournament is fun, don't come. Easy, Simple, and Correct. If you think it sounds fun, and you have the time to spare, everyone invites you to the city of Kokomo.

Jebus, this isn't the nationals, this is a little cities tiny fun event. Don't harass it completely. Anyone who's up for it though, see you there.
Owner/Operator/Leader of DDRKokomo. Assistant Leader of DDRKokomo: Arrow Stompers.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sun May 21, 2006 12:01 am

Can we get some freestyle? Even just exhibition for no prizes (so long as it was included in the entry fee) would encourage someone like me to show up. (And maybe some sign that I wouldn't be the only freestyler there.)

Especially without knowing what the prizes are, I do agree that $15 (including the mandatory tokens) is a bit steep for an Indiana tournament. I understand that the venue has to make something off the event, but that is higher for a single event than any Indiana tournament I can think of. But I might show up just to meet the locals if nothing else.

EDIT: I just realized that this is mid-day on a Thursday. Scratch those plans, I guess. I hope you'll forgive me that I'm not wanting to burn a vacation day to go to this. -_-
Last edited by Ho on Sun May 21, 2006 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnLiMiTeDmAxX
Standard
Standard

Post by UnLiMiTeDmAxX » Sun May 21, 2006 1:32 am

:x Glad Ho pointed that out. Damn, so this tourney is pretty much for ppl who just got out of school. I'm with Ho, I wouldve gone had it not been for the time. How come it's not on the weekend?
ImageImage
ImageImage

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun May 21, 2006 9:13 am

XeroCi wrote: if you don't want to waste gas money, and pay a fee that will probably equal your prize money if you won, and don't find just playing in a tournament is fun, don't come. Easy, Simple, and DUMB-AS-HELL.
Corrected. OMG, the point of a tournament is to make money...believe it or not, using the DDR machine or giving out tokens DOES NOT COST THE ARCADE MONEY [Duh]. So, basically (especially for a tournament), the highest revenue would be made by attracting the MOST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE, not charging fewer people more. Also, holding it on a weekday pretty much restricts anybody WITH A JOB of going...so out goes your 18+ crowd. I understand you probably don't have control over these issues, but your manager needs to know (this would benefit him as well, financially) that this is far from the best way to hold a tournament.

-Dan