DDR Tournament (Kokomo,IN)

Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

DjKARL
Standard
Standard

Post by DjKARL » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:21 am

Some notes from the Analyst:

1. The average age on the form is for little kids under 18 (this explains the 'light tournament')

2. Nowhere in my tournament playing days did I have to get the dude working behind the counter to sign off on me buying tokens to play...If you have a tournament, plan ahead and get the guy to out the damn thing on FREE PLAY!

3. Average time for a DDR song is roughly about 2 minutes, taken with the number of players in ONE division, a SINGLE elemination tournament would take 40-50 minutes...if no one took a break, and everything ran smoothly. Having said all that, who want's to buy $10 of friggin tokens anywho

4. Finally: I've never been in a tourney where ALL songs are hand-picked by the judges...only the qualifier. If you want to make it clean and fair, let the participants choose the song's that THEY are good at, not you.

UnLiMiTeDmAxX
Standard
Standard

Post by UnLiMiTeDmAxX » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:00 am

DjKARL wrote:3. Average time for a DDR song is roughly about 2 minutes, taken with the number of players in ONE division, a SINGLE elemination tournament would take 40-50 minutes...if no one took a break, and everything ran smoothly. Having said all that, who want's to buy $10 of friggin tokens anywho

4. Finally: I've never been in a tourney where ALL songs are hand-picked by the judges...only the qualifier. If you want to make it clean and fair, let the participants choose the song's that THEY are good at, not you.
Hell, if ppl are playing on Light, then there shouldnt be a break.

As far as the judges picking the songs, this sounds like that last muncie tourney.
ImageImage
ImageImage

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:29 am

I really don't like 3 division tourneys with the "NO SANDBAGGING" rule. Of course you don't want sandbagging, but whos to judge? How do you know if you're too good for light? You could make a case that the winner of light was just sandbagging, no matter what. "Well he beat all the light players, he should've just entered standard". Same for standard->heavy.

I'm also still confused as to why you must buy $10 in tokens to enter. Is it so the arcade makes a profit? I assume thats so, but then asking them to pay $5 dollars to play in the tournament is silly. Most people who are towards the bottom of their division won't want to have just totally wasted $5, and they'd also have a bunch of tokens that they couldn't play DDR with (seeing as its being used for the tournament, and theres a chance they wouldn't come back to the place). This also will perpetuate sandbagging.

Also, having the coordinators pick the songs does two things: It makes the tournament go faster, and it pisses the players off. Lets say its a match, me vs. shannon. Our songs are Cartoon Heroes and Maxx Unlimited. I win (no offense shannon) because I just happen to be better at those songs than him. Now, if our songs were Graduation and Matsuri Japan, he would win, no contest. Is this fair? Nope, neither of us should get screwed because of the judges. I should be able to pick Maxx Unlimited on him, and he should be able to pick Gamelon De Couple on me, and we should have our match decided by a random song on shuffle or something.

Lastly, I love how the entry for asks for your Date of Birth, and then asks wheter you're over 18 or not. Hot.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:16 pm

DjKARL wrote:Some notes from the Analyst:

1. The average age on the form is for little kids under 18 (this explains the 'light tournament')

2. Nowhere in my tournament playing days did I have to get the dude working behind the counter to sign off on me buying tokens to play...If you have a tournament, plan ahead and get the guy to out the damn thing on FREE PLAY!

3. Average time for a DDR song is roughly about 2 minutes, taken with the number of players in ONE division, a SINGLE elemination tournament would take 40-50 minutes...if no one took a break, and everything ran smoothly. Having said all that, who want's to buy $10 of friggin tokens anywho

do you even know what yoru talking about karl?

1. most ppl here are actually over 18 anymore, this isn't 5 years ago.

2. why are you trying to act so intelligent about signing off on tokens? I've been to plenty of tournaments where you have to use tokens or quarters to continue advancing, but the payout was always worth it in the end. But then again, you jus go to kentucky, you don't travel. also quit acting like your some tournament whore.

3. DDR songs are actually 1:20-1:30 average, ITG is 1:50-2:00 average. gj though

4. I have, again, many times. Pre determined songs picked by the runners for each round. Don't say you havea life either, i know how much you play.

TaQa: NOBODY AT THIS TOURNAMENT IS QUALIFIED TO DETERMINE WHO IS GOOD AND WHO ISNT AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:05 pm

hey casey im still 17. lmao. just one more month.
Team KIMO represent!

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:25 pm

To whoever is running this event:

If you are going to do pre-determined songs during the entire tournament, post a list of songs that would be played. I know it's not DDR, but events run by Andamiro even gave a song list for both the Nationals and WPF. Thinking of songs on the spot could be considered unfair (unless you did a card-based system. I'll link an example as soon as I can find it). Do however you wish though, Kokomo is too far for me to drive for a DDR tourney (especially one that rivals the cost of the Lazer Blaze tourney in Louisville... $15 per division).

Example of a Card-based Tourney:
Before I go in-depth, I will say that qualifying higher than your opponent will still mean a GREAT deal in this tournament, as well as your ability to plan ahead and strategize. This tournament won't be as much about physical dexterity as it is now about equal mental dexterity for every round. Here goes:

I will have several playing decks of cards with the names of every song taped on the face side. When it is time for two players to compete, the cards will be shuffled and five cards will be shown face up. Here's where your seeding will come into play. The higher seed gets a choice of:

1 - Out of the five cards you can choose to pick one of the songs to keep. Your opponent will pick the final two out of the remaining 4 cards. You will also get to choose pad side and whether you play your song or your opponent's song(s) first.

2 - Out of the five cards available, you can choose to eliminate two of them. Out of the remaining three, your opponent will eliminate one more, leaving two cards left. A third card will be drawn from the top of the deck as a "Wild Card" bonus song if the match goes to a third. Higher seed still chooses first song and pad side.

3 - You can, as higher seed, opt to have your opponent decide on which of the above two options to take. Doing so gives you last choice on either situation, but also forfeits you as choosing pad side and first song to be played.
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:51 pm

ohio actually started the perfect card system, then ppl tried to change it :(

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:05 am

That's what I thought. But since I actually attended the event with the rules I posted (2nd Renaissance Fun Park PIU Tourney) and I didn't feel like digging around the Ohio forums, I posted those instead. We heard about the events in Ohio and decided to try something similar, so we formed those rules. They worked fine for the tourney.
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

XeroCi
Standard
Standard

Post by XeroCi » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:56 pm

This wasn't /supposed/ to be posted on IndyDDR. We're trying out some things and see how it goes, how much money it brings in, and everything else. If this one turns out nice, we'll work on what went wrong, and expand horizons a bit. Right now, we have a 50+ turnout right estimated. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.

- Andrew
Owner/Operator/Leader of DDRKokomo. Assistant Leader of DDRKokomo: Arrow Stompers.

yamcha61
Standard
Standard

Post by yamcha61 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:10 am

Is there anyway the tourney could be on a weekend??? I would go but I have class during the day and work at night.
What happens when you get scared half to death twice?

UnLiMiTeDmAxX
Standard
Standard

Post by UnLiMiTeDmAxX » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:22 pm

can this just be locked because this tourney will never happen
ImageImage
ImageImage